Bandtails have returned!

Tiller, OR(Zone 8a)

Yesterday, a few of the Bandtails had returned for the season. I love watching them, but they are soooo skittery. There's always a "lead" bird, which I call The Scout. It will observe from a distance in the tallest tree on one side of the place for quite some time, and then from and old dead cedar on the other side. After a long time, others will join the watch, and then they filter in to the feeders a few at a time. Interesting to observe their habits.

Thumbnail by tigerlily
Northumberland, United Kingdom(Zone 9a)

Smart birds - similar to our Wood Pigeon, but slightly smaller and a bit more colourful

Resin

Wood Pigeon:

Thumbnail by Resin
Tiller, OR(Zone 8a)

Do they come to your feeders, Resin? It sounds like drums when a couple dozen take flight all at once.
Do they bring their babies "milk" like our Bandtails? Last year there was an article in Medfords newspaper about how they would fly 35 miles daily to a certain mineral water area to bring it to the young. Very interesting birds. I'm glad they're coming back.

Marlton, NJ

Nice pics!

Quoting:
Do they come to your feeders, Resin?

I don't put up a feeder, just make sure there is plenty of natural food (the one in the photo is eating ivy berries in the garden . . a dreadful weed where you are, but a highly valued native here :-). But they will visit large platform-type feeders where they are provided.

Quoting:
It sounds like drums when a couple dozen take flight all at once

Exactly the same!!

Quoting:
Do they bring their babies "milk" like our Bandtails?

Yes; as far as I know, all pigeons and doves do. Because of this, they are able to breed all year where there is an adequate food supply, they are not dependant on insects to feed the newly hatched young, the way most other birds are. Not many nest in the winter, but a few do, I saw a recently-fledged Wood Pigeon in the garden about 10 days ago.

Resin

Tiller, OR(Zone 8a)

Thanks so much for your feedback.

I know about the English Ivy. Though a problem here, it is beautiful.

Where I used to live, there was a row of Mountain Ash that the pigeons would feed on during their migration. What a sight!

(Zone 10b)

I've always liked the band-tailed pidgeons. They're large but gentle and well-mannered. For the longest time, they would sit quietly on the poles and watch all the birds gorging on millet and sunflowers. Then they would descend long after the other birds have had their fill and only crumbs remain. Now, I only spot them on some ocassions and they quietly perch on the telephone poles that are at a distance. They probably want some seeds but are afraid.

Somehow, I get the feeling they're not treated well. I have a golf course nearby and I'm sure they use some methods to deter birds to keep them from dropping excrement on their manicured grounds.

Tiller, OR(Zone 8a)

Showing it's name.

Thumbnail by tigerlily
Marlton, NJ

Nice catch!

Tiller, OR(Zone 8a)

GreenLife, could it be because they are a game bird? There is a season for them here, as well as the Mourning Doves. ;-( And I believe the Bandtails were once near extinction.

I know they are treated poorly, as are the Rock Doves in many areas. I don't have the Rock Doves coming here, but they dominate at my daughters in Roseburg. The smaller songbirds hardly have a chance . Mom has devised a chickenwire cage there, where she feeds the small birds.

Quoting:
could it be because they are a game bird?

Very likely yes . . . over here, Wood Pigeons in the countryside are very wary, but in urban areas (where they don't get shot at) they can be very tame.

Resin

North Little Rock, AR(Zone 7b)

Wow! Beautiful birds and photos. Thanks for sharing.

Tiller, OR(Zone 8a)

Makes sense, Resin. I am quite rural.

Greenville, SC(Zone 7a)

enjoyed the photo's and info, Thanks for posting!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.