Is zone 6 season too short?

Brockton, MA(Zone 6a)

I'm interested in trying Cannas again. The Wyoming Dwarf.
I don't mind starting it early in pots but want to plant it in the ground for the Summer.
Would I store it like a Gladiola for the Winter?
Andy P

Aurora, CO(Zone 5b)

I'm no expert, but that sounds right. I grew cheap, off shelf ones last year and thats how I did mine. Looking to get some "real" named ones this year, but kept the others just incase the budget doesn't meet with desire. Have a couple of new beds to fill with things. Suggestions, anyone? And yes, that's open ended...

KC Metro area, MO(Zone 6a)

I'm in zone 5 and that's what we do here. Store them after the first frost. I left a few cheapies out last year to see if they survive or not. Since the winter has been kinda hard here this season they might not have but I have others if they didn't.

Lakeland, FL(Zone 9b)

i use to grow cannas in hanson and wareham mass

Coal Center, PA(Zone 6a)

I live in zone 6, sw Pennsylvania.
I grow one of the largest number of canna varieties in the world.
Cannas can grow very well in zone 6.
Alice

Brockton, MA(Zone 6a)

Thanks everyone.
How early shoud I pot them up if the outdoor planting date is the 3rd week of May?
Andy P

Aurora, CO(Zone 5b)

I put mine in 1 gal containers abt 7 weeks before they got put in the ground. By the way they looked, I'm thinking at least 8 weeks, if not more. Or maybe it was a bit too chilly in the garage? Was in Costco this afternoon, and they have all their bulbs, tubers and rhizomes for sale now. Noticed the cannas were 10 or 12 for 10.59, even had a Lucifer in there. Can't remember exactly,a bit under the weather today.

Tipton, IA

hi i live in Iowa, i strt mine now in pots then put out may 15th after frost danger is past.done this for 3 yrs, then after first frost , i cut bk infall and leave some dirt on let top dry and store in basement it cool n drk.

Brockton, MA(Zone 6a)

Thanks guys, that's what I needed to hear.
RockRun, that's pretty much how I treat my Amaryllis.
Andy P

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.