Help-When do hostas break dormancy?

Los Angeles, CA(Zone 10b)

Hello there,

I'm not sure when to expect hostas to break dormancy.
This is the first time that I'm growing a hosta and am hoping that someone can help.

In the Fall, I purchased 'Halcyon' and it is still dormant. There is no sign of new growth......at least, not yet.
Am not sure if it didn't make it through the winter or is it still dormant?
We've had an unseasonably cold winter this year (Zone 10) and I think that it should've aided in the cold period.
Can anyone please let me know, when hostas break dormancy?

Very much appreciated,
Loulou

Gravois Mills, MO(Zone 6a)

Depends on the temperature and to some extent the particular Hosta species. Some are late to come up. I would think in your area you can expect to see nubs any day now.

Central, WI(Zone 4a)

I.m with oz, should be pretty soon in your area. They will look like bullets coming up out of the ground. Hostas need 40 days below 40º to stay dormant, once that is achieved, they will start coming.

Newport News, VA(Zone 7b)

In my zone 7b area, mine broke dormancy first week of April last year. I would guess early March in your area. What are your temps this week?

Cordele, GA

Mine are not up yet, but we have had a warm winter so I expect to see the nubs sprouting sooner than usual. The first signs of hostas are one of my favorite garden sights. It is always exciting to see those clusters of spear points pushing upward.

Beth

Central, WI(Zone 4a)

Mine here were in the second week in April.

Avon, NY(Zone 5b)

Oh man, My first ones don't even start to poke their noses up until the very end of April.....It feels like an eternity

Lee's Summit, MO(Zone 6a)

Mine have been coming up daily for about a week. It's a beautiful thing!

Thank you everyone, for your response.
I'm growing so anxious!

In response to largosmom, the temps this week have been 60°-66° in the highs and 45°-50° in the lows, with light rain.
Hopefully, it's been cold enough.

Will keep my eyes peeled and fingers crossed!

Thank you again,
Loulou

Your temps are warm enough for the hostas to grow. That is about the same temperatures we have when mine start to grow, so I bet this is the time for yours to grow.

Laura

I got some of the older more established ones that are early risers trying to break it now in central Mo.

Still no sign.......not yet....
Just an empty patch covered in mulch.

Could it have been ravaged by pests over winter?
:(

The plant might be very late because it is developing a root system. I say maybe. It is a guess since you put it out in the fall.

Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

My earliest ones are just beginning to break out now although Plantiginea is about 2-3" high but no sign of most of them. Hang in there.

I've been out peeking at mine, any day now on the pots which now look a bit root bound, including Plantaginea. I'll be watching the weather pretty close and doing some transplanting the first warm weekend. I'm amazed at how many roots Plantaginea put out in one growing season, I got it as a trade last spring, and it was a one-eye hosta. It'll be going into a pot with lots of room to grow. If this keeps up I may need to go buy more large pots.

Laura

Ottawa, ON(Zone 5a)

Oh stop it will you. Do you have any idea how long Sandy, Kelly, Marie and I have to wait till ours will poke up? ;-(

White Lake, ON(Zone 4b)

Please just promise you will show us some pics to get us through!
Sandy

I brought my potted hosta up onto the sun room yeasterday. We are going to be gone this weekend and I heat the place up because the cat has to stay out there while we are gone. There are a lot of nubs at the top of the soil level so I should have hosta leafs maybe by St Patricks Day. I also have have a Northern Exposure and two Touch of Class out there I bought last fall as replacements for the two patriots and Striptease setting I took out because of Virus X last summer. I hope they will get a jump start on the seadon as well.

Central, WI(Zone 4a)

I'm so glad to hear Some people are having hostas come up, but I'm with Ann,,,as we have a couple months yet, at least 1 1/2 months anyway, but also agree with Sandy, we need our hosta poking through fix,,,,We NEED pictures!!! We just got another I'm guessing 6-8 inches of the white stuff so now we'll be even longer.

Kelly

West Central, WI(Zone 4a)

It would be so nice for someone to refresh our memories of that day when the first tender nibs begin pushing up, reaching for the sky. Some are bright green, others almost black, and still others look like the swirl on mixed chocolate and vanilla cone at the Dairy Queen. With the weather like it is today, it's hard to think that we'll ever get to see it for ourselves.

Fredericksburg, TX(Zone 8a)

I can try and take some pictures and post em, but I'm going to feel like I'm rubbing it in. Mine are greening up and feel really bad for ya'll up there in the freezer.

White Lake, ON(Zone 4b)

No, no, no! All you lovely southern hosta people, don't hesitate to post. Please. I want to see those DQ swirls!
Sandy

Lisbon, IA(Zone 5a)

We need to see green, please give us a hosta fix! :)

Are we pathetic or what? Don't make us go looking for last years pics of emerging hostas, just to get a fix. We want to see em fresh.

Here are some from last year for you:

Thumbnail by largosmom

The first one was Sagae. This one is Kabitan.

Thumbnail by largosmom

These I have no idea on the variety.

Thumbnail by largosmom

Again, no idea, but the muscari are cute! I planted lots of these last year.

Thumbnail by largosmom

Maybe H. Golden Tiara

Thumbnail by largosmom

Do your daffys bloom at the same time as the hostas are shooting?

Thumbnail by largosmom

You did need some blooms too, right?

Thumbnail by largosmom

Tulip 'Lady Jane' with some pansies.

Thumbnail by largosmom

Laura......now that's what I'm talking about! And thanks for the inclusion of some spring blooms. The Lady Jane with pansies looks so good I can almost smell the sunshine.

Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

Have a little snail bait with your plantiganea!

Thumbnail by doss
Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

If you are looking for spring color though here it is. Hope that this cheers everyone up. You'll be here within a month!

Thumbnail by doss

Nice!

One more, H. 'Lemon Lime' under my little Japanese Maple 'Crimson Queen'

Thumbnail by largosmom
Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

Or here's Magnolia 'Galaxy'. She's the first thing to bloom here in the spring and comes just before the tulips.

Everything else is just new growth on the hydrangeas, japanese maples, clematis etc.

Thumbnail by doss
Stanford, CA(Zone 9b)

Beautiful combo of the lemon lime against the japanese maple. You're quite a bit ahead of us there in Virginia. Must be more southernly. :-)

White Lake, ON(Zone 4b)

Laura,
Wow, that Kabitan is brilliant, isn't it... I don't have that one. I especially liked how you framed those trio of daffys.

Doss,
"have some slug bait with your plantaginea" guffaw, choke, splutter, hahahahahahaha.
Your garden is so beautiful, I think I would have palpitations each time I looked out my window.

Sandy

Clementon, NJ(Zone 6b)

Krossa Regal, late riser... less than two months to go according to last year's photo date!

Thumbnail by AddieOtto

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.