Redpolls

Anchorage, AK(Zone 4a)

This female Redpoll decided to pose for me.

Thumbnail by Grasmussen
Anchorage, AK(Zone 4a)

Of-course she had to preen for the camera.

Thumbnail by Grasmussen
Anchorage, AK(Zone 4a)

A final inspection, to make sure every feather is in order.

Thumbnail by Grasmussen
Anchorage, AK(Zone 4a)

Looking beautiful she steps up into the sun light and struts her pose.

Thumbnail by Grasmussen
Greenville, SC(Zone 7a)

Nice shots!! Always always always prunning, Need to keep each feather in tact!

Anchorage, AK(Zone 4a)

One final pose.

Thumbnail by Grasmussen
Marlton, NJ

Very Nice!

Hebron, KY

Great shots Gras!

A beautiful, adorable and sweet little bird! Wish we had them here!

Thanks for sharing all your pics!

Marilyn

New Matamoras, OH(Zone 6a)

Grasmussen;,,

Do the Redpolls stay year round there in Anchorage, or do they just show up for the winter months..

I don't think I've ever seen them around here in Ohio..... Nice pictures by the way..... You'll have to try and photograph one of the males if you get the chance....

....Dave

Cochrane, ON(Zone 2b)

Love your redpoll shots Grasmussen. I have a small flock of about 25 here right now, usually have 100+. I don't understand where they all are this year.

Anchorage, AK(Zone 4a)

Dave, the Redpolls stay here year round, but they are more plentiful in the winter. I grew up in Michigan, and we saw them in the winter. In the west-central part of the Lower Peninsula. I posted pictures of males in earlier threads, but here is another.

Thumbnail by Grasmussen
Northumberland, United Kingdom(Zone 9a)

Over here we get Lesser Redpolls (Carduelis cabaret) all year, and variable (but usually small) numbers of Mealy Redpolls (same as yours, Carduelis flammea) in winter

Quoting:
I don't understand where they all are this year

They are renowned for being highly nomadic, and also show large population swings (a bit like lemmings) - that's quite normal for the numbers to be very variable from one year to the next.

Resin

Female Lesser Redpoll: note darker brown colours

Thumbnail by Resin

Another pic of a Lesser Redpoll, underside this time

Thumbnail by Resin
Marlton, NJ

Very nice pics Resin! What type of shrub or tree is that?

Alder - a favourite winter food for redpolls and siskins. The best tree to plant if you want to attract them.

Resin

Kingsport, TN(Zone 6b)

Beautiful shots! Dave, I think Redpolls are strictly northern birds - they don't get much further south than Canada on this continent. But I've been wrong before lol!

Cochrane, ON(Zone 2b)

Resin, thanks so much for the reply. I didn't realize they were highly nomadic. I have always been overrun with them. Usually go through 6 x 50lb bags of nyger seed over a winter, but not this year. I am still on my first bag. They sure are tough. Even when it is -40ºC they sit huddled in the trees, barely able to hold on in the strong winds.

Enjoyed seeing your photos of the Lesser Redpolls. How cold does it get in Northumberland. I have always thought Redpolls were cold weather birds.

Lesser Redpoll is a much more temperate-adapted bird. Coldest it's been here this winter is -4°C, though this is milder than normal (we usually get down to about -7°). But having an oceanic climate, we also get cool summers, and I think that may be more important for redpolls than winter temperatures.

Resin

Whidbey Island, WA(Zone 7a)

I have a small grove of alders at the edge of my property line (actually on the OTHER side of my property line, but I consider it mine because I begged the owner to leave it when he was clear cutting the rest of his acreage) - that must be why I have so many Siskins (that and the fact that I always have thistle out for them).

New Matamoras, OH(Zone 6a)

Grasmussen;,,

They probably don't get over this way unless, we were to have an extreamly cold winter then.... Another thing that might send them futher south is if their food sorces for some reason get scarce.....

Thanks for posting that picture of the male....

.....Dave

This message was edited Feb 25, 2007 12:29 PM

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.