know of a source for S hooks for hanging baskets?

Taft, TX(Zone 9a)

I can no longer find these metal s hooks that come in lengths of 12" to 24" to be able to hang baskets down from tall ceilings...I do know they had them in Marion, Texas at Schultz's Nursery for years. Now I can't find a supplier for them...thanks...

Powder Springs, GA(Zone 7b)

The building stores usually have them. Ask outdoor gardening if you can't find them.

Taft, TX(Zone 9a)

you mean like Lowes or Home Depot? if so, then thanks very much.....

Yes, those would be the ones. I've bought a couple big S hooks from them a few years ago. It should be in the area of the shepherd's hooks and metal trellises or close to the hanging baskets.

Manassas, VA(Zone 6b)

I saw 12-inch S-hooks in Wal-Mart today at the end of the aisle where they keep the pots and such.
No telling how much they were asking for them, but they were there.

Taft, TX(Zone 9a)

Love you, Colderwild.....I can always get to a Wally World......have to get my front porch looking good as adult children are coming in next weekend with more kids than you can imagine...ages 1 through 10 and two more cousins!!

Indian Harbour Beach, FL(Zone 10a)

The S hooks in Wal-Mart, Lowes, etc., are pricier than the ones you can find at the Flea Markets. Our FM has a tool section -- evrything is so cheap and they have all kinds of S hooks.

Taft, TX(Zone 9a)

I don't know why we don't have flea markets anymore down here....they always had them in the cities I lived in.

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

I've also found them at AC Moore (craft store) and used my store coupons to bring down the price of the bigger ones.

If the pot isn't too big and you really want "cheap" hooks, you can cut clothes hangers (the ones you get from the cleaners) and shape them to your needs. Also heavy duty copper wire can be used as well (also good for shaping small trees into weeping forms).

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

That's a good idea, but most of my pots are... well, the only small ones are a few "fillers" that I hang directly from the rod over my window.

Thumbnail by critterologist

Another option are two small S hooks and a chain, capable of carrying lots of weight and is adustable.

Taft, TX(Zone 9a)

That is what I was planning on doing......two small hooks and a heavy chain as I want to also hang heavy baskets on my front porch....thanks everyone...

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

That's how I've got some large pots hanging on front of our family room windows... I was even able to find an attractive brass-colored chain.

Taft, TX(Zone 9a)

the reason I can't put up a rod is because this is for my front porch which is screened in and has a lot of steps and different levels....I will have to go with a couple of s hooks and strong chain in odd places where people don't get their heads knocked off (LOL)
headed out now to go find what I need, plus dog food, etc.etc.....

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

There's no rod for the hanging baskets in our family room... they're on swivel-base S-hooks that go into the ceiling on butterfly bolts (?). I definitely like the fact that they swivel... something to keep in mind... and I've also seen ones with a little contraption for raising and lowering them that looks useful if you're going to have them hanging high but want to get at them for watering.

Taft, TX(Zone 9a)

How neat!!!! Today I went to Wally World and bought 26 s hooks...the cashier was laughing....I also found the screws that go into the wood on the porch outside plus links of chain to get with them....so I am a happy camper!!!! I always use wands to water outside so the height is really not a problem in watering....talk to you later
gail

Amsterdam, NY(Zone 5a)

If you need a lot of S hooks, there is a company in my area that produces a number of wire and metal items at reasonable prices. They are a division of NYSARC (the largest not-for-profit organization serving individuals with intellectual and other developmental disabilities). I went to their production facility in Troy and met a number of the employees. It's really a wonderful place. And take a look at some of their other products - a lot of garden items.
http://www.wirestore.com/shop/#c_32

Portland, TX(Zone 9a)

Hey Gail

I meant to tell you that Turners has S hooks and I think the 12 " was either .49 or .99 cents a piece. They had various sizes. They are made out of silver wire.

Taft, TX(Zone 9a)

I never keep receipts so I think I am stuck with these...nice black ...but thanks!!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.