Horse Manure Question

Long Island, NY(Zone 7a)

My husband works with horses, and recently put about 40 lbs. of horse manure (in bags of course) in the back of his truck to weigh it down for his trip home in an ice storm.

So now we've got 40 lbs of horse manure in plastic bags. Can I use this in the garden? There may be some cedar bedding mixed in, is that still okay? How do I store this stuff? It's still freezing cold here. Should I just keep it outside in the plastic bags? Or should we just get "rid" of it somehow.

Thanks!!!!

Peoria, IL

Horse manure is less desirable, for direct spreading in a garden, than cow manure because the horse's digestive system passes viable weed seeds, where a cowmanure doesn't. However some horses that are kept in stalls and are fed grains and feed, and not pastured, are less likely to have any weed passing through also.

Horse manure can still be used in the garden but you must accept the potential for weed growth. And weeds can be controlled with acover mulch. And weeds become more green material for the compost pile. Your best bet is to compost it. A hot compost pile will kill weed seeds. And horse manure does make good compost.

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

I use truckloads and truckloads of horse manure each year, but I do compost it. I mix it with grass clippings and weeds in the summer and leaves in the fall. I generally wait about 6 months before using my compost, but if I am desperate and the weather is warm 2 or 3 months is enough -- especially if the pile gets hot.
I say, don't waste your horse manure. It is great stuff.

Long Island, NY(Zone 7a)

Thank you! These horses are kept in stables in a city setting and are rarely out to pasture. So I think the weed potential is lower than average. I didn't realize it had to "age" so long, though. I've been meaning to start a compost pile. Maybe now's a good time!

This message was edited Feb 21, 2007 6:34 PM

Peoria, IL

There is no better time than RIGHT NOW to start composting.

That sentence is valid any day of the year at any time of day.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.