new to gardening, and to zone 10 so any advice welcome

Rome, Italy

Hi everyone, I've just recently moved to Rome and have a terrace that will be lovely once I get things growing on it. I am also a new gardener, this is the first time I have ever had the space for it so even the basics are requiring a lot of reading. That and trial and error--I've already killed two new bougainvillaes that were planted just before I moved in from overwatering. Well, I don't think they're going to make it but we'll see.

So that's the kind of advice I need! Now I am settled, the internet connection is established, so I can do some more reading on whatever I get. I have a lot of interesting things bookmarked, and hopefully a visit to a garden city will be coming up soon. I don't have a car, so have been looking at small places on street corners. The selection all seems to be more of the same. Things need to thrive with a lot of sun, I have to figure out what I can plant now and in March to get shade by June, and then how to get it. I haven't found a good website in Italy (in English, my Italian is not up to this kind of reading yet)--any hints, advice, suggestions?

Sheffield, United Kingdom(Zone 7b)

Welcome to the forum Lizah, We have lots of members living in the hotter parts of Europe so you should get some good advice. Unfortunately I live in Yorkshire so can only grow bouganvillea in the conservatory. You are right about the over watering - I keep mine on the dry side over winter and it seems to survive. I hope yours recover.

Rome, Italy

Thanks, they seem to be doing better. I think they needed watering, I wanted to be sure they had dried out but so far so good. I've been making the rounds of the neighborhood shops to see what is available, so I'll have something started soon. I have to visit a friend's place with my camera, then post and try to ID a beautiful succulent I saw there.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.