Columbine from seed advice?

Danbury, CT(Zone 6a)

I have a few packs of columbine seed. Someone had recommended it to me as a shade or part shade plant. I have a lot of shade in my yard, so I figured I'd give it a try. Anyway, does anyone have any advice for starting columbine from seed? I'd appreciate it. I have a seed starting set up in my house, so I'd prefer to start them inside.

Thanks,
Jen

West Pottsgrove, PA(Zone 6b)

My understanding is they like to be chilled, so I plant them right when the seed pods are ripe in the late summer, and find sprouts in the spring. I've also started them after storing the seeds in the refrigerator for a month or two, and this winter I have a bunch in 'wintersowing' containers out in the yard.

I'd put the seeds in the refrigerator for a month or so if you want to sow them indoors

Nantucket, MA(Zone 7a)

I started a package of seeds in a flat on April 18 2006 on my living room floor of Clematis-flowered Columbine Green Apples Aquilegia vulgaris var. stellata and I had a large # of them germinate (90 in the pack) from Select seeds. I did not pre chill them, so perhaps it was dumb luck. I planted them out in mid June and they didn't do much until the fall when they showed great growth. I think they will be great this summer. Here is a picture of a couple in a new shade bed that I started last summer taken on Oct 4 2006. Good luck. Patti

Thumbnail by bbrookrd
Danbury, CT(Zone 6a)

It is hard to be patient waiting for things to flower. I will try my hand at starting the columbine. If I have any luck, I'll let you all know.

Thanks again,

Jen

Southern, WI(Zone 5a)

I bought some columbine from Select Seeds in January, one called "Blue Tower". Threw a bunch in a ziplock bag with holes poked in them fro drainage and kept checking them each day. The package did say they may need refrigeration, but these sprouted in two weeks, no fridge needed. I just moved them out yesterday into smaller pots. They look great. Perhaps they got their chill time in the mail during our big freeze here in the north! Lol!

Ffld County, CT(Zone 6b)

Winter-sow them! I had them coming out my ears the last few years!

Dee

Seward, AK(Zone 3b)

I grow lots and lots of columbine from seed indoors under lights. I believe refrigeration is supposed to 'improve' germination, but I don't believe it is necessary, as they've germinated for me without chilling, as well. Columbine are very easy to start from seed and are not difficult to transplant. Just be sure to use a sterilized seed starting mix and clean, bleached containers. Keep the mix moist under plastic wrap or a domed plastic flat lid.

Lee's Summit, MO(Zone 6a)

I just sprinkle mine on top of my flower beds in the fall or early, early spring and they come up. For me, they bloom the second year.

Seward, AK(Zone 3b)

You lucky guys in warm country! Actually, they'll probably grow fine from sowing them in the fall here, as well, but have less time to reach a size that will winter over well. In the North country, we often start perennials indoors to get a head start. I think the other advantage might be a higher rate of germination, or more specifically, survival. If you've got lots of seeds, broadcasting them in the beds is easier, more natural, and you're bound to have more plants than you need. Up here, we've got to contend with snow and rain washing them away. When I winter sow, I do it in containers.

Ffld County, CT(Zone 6b)

Hi again. Yes, that's what I meant by winter-sowing - sowing the seeds in containers. I suppose here in zone 6 I could just as easily direct-sow, as Kay Jones does.

Funny, Weezingreens - I had to look at your zone after your last post. Zone 6 isn't referred to as "warm country" all that often, lol!

Dee

Seward, AK(Zone 3b)

You're in the sunny tropics, as far as I'm concerned! LOL! I guess it's all relative, isn't it?

Danbury, CT(Zone 6a)

Thanks everyone for chiming in. I don't know what has been stopping me from doing it. I have plenty enough seeds to just go ahead and start 'em. If they don't germinate, I can try chilling, etc. It's good to hear that some have done it without chilling. So far, I've had good luck starting seeds indoors with everything else I've done.

I've been wanting to try winter sowing, but I'm afraid I'll just forget they are out there and the little seedlings will sprout in the spring and die of neglect. Wouldn't be the end of the world, but I'd feel bad.

I suppose I could hedge my bets and start some inside and some outside. I sure do have enough shady spots to put them.

Southern, WI(Zone 5a)

Good luck with your sowing. Doing a bit of each might be fun too.

Seward, AK(Zone 3b)

When the danger of frost is over, I move my flats of winter sown seeds to a table by my greenhouse. It is out of the strong sun, but close enough to water. Other than that, I forget them until the plants get big enough to transplant or thin.

Coaling, AL(Zone 7b)

Wintersowing Columbine in my zone (7b/8a) hasn't yeilded anything yet -- and I sowed them in January. Apparently it just isn't cold enough. Wonder if I should put my baggies in the fridge LOL...

Seward, AK(Zone 3b)

It's a thought, lizren. I can't recall how long it takes to germinate. As I recall they aren't one of those plants that pop up from seed almost immediately.

Frisco, TX(Zone 8a)

Lizren, I have had columbines self seed in my zone 8 garden and I've thrown out seed I stored.Usually I'll put them out in the late fall, but the self sowers of course drop in late spring. usually I don't see anything for a while(2-3 months) for those I've scattered myself in the fall. And I just discovered some tiny seedlings this weekend that must be self sown from last year's seeds.don't give up hope. You m,ay have them pop up next year.nancy

Ffld County, CT(Zone 6b)

lizren, columbines have always been later germinators for me. I don't know what your temps are, so I can't advise about putting them in the fridge, but either way do give them time.

:)
Dee

Centennial, CO(Zone 5b)

Under lights, A. caerulea took 15 days to germinate, A. vulgaris is taking 30 days and counting. Both had a light covering of sand over the superfine germinating mix. The lights are in a room that gets fairly cool at night (60*). Don't make the mistake I did and put the lights too close to the seedlings. Nearly fried them that way. 4" is plenty (I usually keep the lights 2" above the emerging growth). Remove plastic covering IMMEDIATELY after they begin showing first leaves, as they cannot tolerate the dampness directly on the leaves.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.