The questionable moss.

Bessemer City, NC(Zone 7b)

From http://davesgarden.com/forums/t/677050/.

Here ya' go, Jerry.

#1. The allee.

Thumbnail by raydio

#2. With fingertip.

Thumbnail by raydio

#3. A bit in front of an oak leaf.

Thumbnail by raydio

#4. S'more.

Thumbnail by raydio

#5. And then some.

R.

Thumbnail by raydio
Las Cruces, NM

Hard to be certain, but it looks like a Thuidium.

Santa Maria, CA

Patrick (Paalexan)
Presuming your observation is correct-the most common species is this one:
Thuidium delicatulum - Feather moss
Check this link >> http://www.science.siu.edu/landplants/Bryophyta/images/Thuidium.del.JPEG

Chesterland, OH(Zone 5b)

Excellent pics raydio! That's a beautiful 'allee' you have.

I'll bet that this the same type that I have in on my path, the one that feel like it's padded carpeting. It's amazing how different it looks after a critter has torn it up. I would have never guessed that the examples you posted were were the moss.You should post that picture again in this thread, It will make for good reference.

I agree, Shadyfolks, the moss is very different-looking when it gets pulled up later on when whatever-critter-it-is goes searching for whatever-it-is that it's looking for. I'm glad I went ouyt and had a look at it in the "off season" to see the difference.

This area gets part sun of a challenging kind: sady morning and afternoon, with direct sun late morening till early afternoon. The soil gets pretty dry in the summer but this tough moss still maintains and grows year-to-year.

Here's the pic of the critter-loosened mass from the other post. I'll see if I can find another clump and make a sharper pic later.

R.

Thumbnail by raydio
Santa Maria, CA

R
Nice images. I was working on my mosses today as I have been wanting to get a handle on how they are doing and get serious about growing them successfully. I ran across a moss like this unknown one of yours. It was used as packing for some other plants I got from an internet plant nursery and I had stuck it in a styrafoam cup with some soil and it got buried behind some plants.
That was a couple of years ago! The moss was still alive but not really growing like it should. Apparently it grows so much that it is simply peeled off the trunks or whatever it grows on. Well I decided to repot the moss into a container with only cypress mulch to see if it does better with a bark substrate.

Got any comments on how it grows? What it grows on? In total shade or in part shade part sun? Anything would be appreciated. Thanks.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.