new questions

Blue Springs, MO

Perhaps you guys can give me some help; im new to this, and seem to learn by trail and error, and asking?
My cucumbers failed miserably, plenty of green but very few cucumbers, my lemon ones never had any, not one. do we have what is calle dclay soil, what maes it better

thanks

Humansville, MO(Zone 6a)

Did they bloom if they did i might think not enough bees

Lindsay, OK(Zone 7a)

They dont mind the clay - it is all I have here... just loads of water, and bees

Blue Springs, MO

Bees? How would i tell if i had any, additionally not sure i had that many blooms, last year had some but htis year almost none;

Lindsay, OK(Zone 7a)

No blooms? Did you feed too much - some time if you feed a plant too much it will put on too many leaves and not flower.

Weatherby, MO(Zone 5a)

A note about your soil in Blue Springs:

My experience is that here in Jackson County, we have a wide variety of soils, and they are sometimes in small bits, meaning you could have sandy soil, next to clay, next to good "black dirt" all in the same suburban yard. Your neighbor might have perfect soil, and you have clay... it's fun!! What I do is to find out what kind of soil is in the exact spot I'm planting in is to put a handful or more of dirt from the spot I'm working with into a mason jar, fill with water, put on the lid and shake. After it sits for a while, the dirt will form layers. Clay is on bottom, then sand, then good dirt. If you are way heavy on clay or sand, you can make compost to ammend your soil. You can also buy packaged compost and manure at most garden centers in the area to add, if you don't make your own compost. I'm not sure what's going on with your cucumbers, but I do know the frustrations of Jackson County dirt!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.