multiple mosses growing side by

Hiouchi, CA(Zone 8b)

there are 3 different mosses in this pict.

Thumbnail by Strever
Hiouchi, CA(Zone 8b)

moss #1

Thumbnail by Strever
Hiouchi, CA(Zone 8b)

moss #2

Thumbnail by Strever
Hiouchi, CA(Zone 8b)

Moss #3

Thumbnail by Strever
Manassas, VA(Zone 6b)

I like #1 - Mom used to have a bunch of it as a ground-cover sort of bed for something else.

What is it?

Santa Maria, CA

Number 1 is definitely NOT A MOSS. It looks like a Lycopodium species but the only one I know of in California is L. clavatum.

Santa Maria, CA

I forgot to post this, a link to my beginning web journal on mosses.
Check out the Selaginella sanguinolenta compressa journal for the images on close up of mosses. That is what is really needed!! By the way one of those trio of mosses appears to be Sphagnum but my eyes are really tired at this hour so I have to squint just to see.
Here is my link:
http://jcsplitimage.topcities.com/m1.html

Santa Maria, CA

There is also another member of the Lycopodiace in California: Lycopodiella inundata. While one image is not really a good basis to make a solid conclusion on I am starting to lean toward this moss #1 as being this bog lycopod.
The reason is that with L. clavatum the growing points of the stems tend to rise into the air while L. inundata has its growing points prostrate or perhaps slightly turned upward at the very tip.
the easiets way to tell is where did this moss come from: a bog or boggy site or from a forest floor????

Burwash Weald, United Kingdom(Zone 9b)

Can you tell me what the starburst leaf pattern plant is? I bought some disporums late last year, and this plants are coming up amongst them. I love the leaf shape and layout, but haven't a clue what they are - really surprised to see them here.

Hiouchi, CA(Zone 8b)

Jerry
all of the plants in the first pict are on logs, #1 & #2 are on a rotting log
so that makes plant #1 on forest floor not bog or boggy right ? but we do get 70+" of rain per year
and what are the requirements for Sphagnum ?
here is another image of #1 & #2

Lauri
see http://davesgarden.com/forums/t/689183/ for the i.d of the miners lettuce plant

Thumbnail by Strever
Santa Maria, CA

Steve,
That makes it Lycopodium clavatum.
Looking at that other moss-it is fairly common as I saw that up behind HSC in Arcata. I do not know what it is. There is one with a name that I cannot believe that is like Rhizadelphus or something-I will get back to you on this.
If you are interested in finding out and would like to learn how to key out mosses then look for the book by Norris. I will try and get the name from him, as he is at Berkeley.

One question: those leaves on the left side: more of the Montia species or
a possible orchid????

Also to help you try
efloras.org as they have keys. do not know if they have Montia but probably

You can find sphagnum in your area in any wet place such as drainage ditches or any place where water is constant and often running.
I really wanted to make up to your part of the state years ago but only got as far as Big Lagoon on the coast. The image is of sphagnum I grow. Once you see it then you know it. It is easy to id.

Thumbnail by JerryCopeland
Santa Maria, CA

Here is a link to efloras.org treatment of Montia
http://efloras.org/florataxon.aspx?flora_id=1&taxon_id=121145

Burwash Weald, United Kingdom(Zone 9b)

Thanks for the direction.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.