I want clover!??

Woodstock, GA(Zone 7b)

I have a big back yard, that is currently covered in leaves. I wanted to avoid grass, if practical, but wanted something green that would cover ground, smother weeds, not need much water, help with world peace... I have done a little research and is clover what I need? When I research, I see so many types, and they seem to be for cattle farmer's fields. I am delighted to read that they are "palatable", however...will they stand a little shade and this GA clay? AND What kind of clover would be best? I got the idea because schools don't plant grass. They still have to mow, but not as often as grass. Will it grow into my neighbors yard? I am aware that Bees will come if I don't mow the flowers...Positives? Negatives? PLEASE HELP!

Cordele, GA

I have never worked at a school that had planted a clover ground cover. It is too honey bee attractive and some children are very allergic to bee stings. Some clovers get quite tall and not all are equally attractive. I tend to think of clover as a high energy plant needing good light. My suggestion would be to call your county agent and ask for info on recommended alternatives to grass for your area.

Beth

Powder Springs, GA(Zone 7b)

The red clover you see blooming in the medians in late spring has some appeal but probably requires full sun. I have sowed it in the past more for a green manure which I tilled under for spring planting. White clover is very low growing (in case you are going to mow) and like Beth says they will attract bees. I don't know how many bee stings I got by walking barefooted on clover infested yards in my youth. I finally learned to wear shoes among the bees.

As for smothering weeds, it depends on the weed you are trying to smother - more than likely you will have to clear out the weeds first, plus keep the leaves raked so it doesn't smother your ground cover. If you find something that smothers weeds (besides concrete) then more than likely you will have a bigger weed (kudzu has choked out all the other weeds and trees).

Columbus, GA(Zone 8a)

I planted white clover for different reasons...to bring in the deer! My clover spot is well away from the business of the house (for bee reasons as well as deer reasons) Seriously, I ordered a pound of seed, mixed it with sawdust and cleared the area of crabgrass. Then I used my garenweasel to loosen the soil and cast the seed/dust mixture. Watered well. Within two weeks I had patches of green that had me singing in the yard!LOL!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.