aqha rules on bits

Victoria, TX(Zone 9b)

I know we had a lengthy discussion about bit use, and it led to "snaffles are good if they're the right kind". Planning to attend a show soon which abides by "AQHA rules".

Taken directly from the AQHA Show Rules book... for "Western Equipment"
"Horses 5-years-old and younger may be shown in a snaffle bit, hackamore, curb bit, half breed, or spade bit. Horses 6-years-old and older may only be shown in a curb bit, half breed, or spade bit. When a curb bit is used, a curb strap or curb chain is required, but must meet the approval of the judge, be at least one-half inch in width and lie flat against the jaw of the horse. Curb chains cannot be tied to the bit with string or cord. A broken strap or chain is not necessarily cause for disqualification."

There are even more details about the type of curb bit required earlier in the rules...
a legal, standard western bit includes:
(1) 8 1/2” (215 mm) maximum length shank to be measured
as indicated in the diagram on page 137. Shanks may be fixed
or loose.
(2) Concerning mouthpieces, bars must be round, oval or
egg shaped, smooth and unwrapped metal of 5/16” to 3/4” (8 mm
to 20 mm) in diameter, measured 1” (25 mm) from the cheek. They
may be inlaid, but must be smooth or latex wrapped. Nothing may
protrude below the mouthpiece (bar), such as extensions or prongs
on solid mouthpieces. The mouthpiece may be two or three pieces.
A three-piece, connecting ring of 1 1/4” (32 mm) or less in diameter,
or a connecting flat bar of 3/8” to 3/4” (10mm to 20 mm) measured
top to bottom with a maximum length of 2” (50 mm), which
lies flat in the horse’s mouth, is acceptable.
(3) The port must be no higher than 3 1/2” (90 mm) maximum,
with rollers and covers acceptable. Broken mouthpieces, halfbreeds
and spades are standard.
(4) Slip or gag bits, and donut and flat polo mouthpieces
are not acceptable.
(d) Except for hackamore/snaffle bit classes or junior horses
shown with hackamore/snaffle bit, only one hand may be used on
the reins, and the hand must not be changed. The hand is to be
around the reins; index finger only between split reins is permitted.
In trail, it is permissible to change hands to work an obstacle.
Violation of this rule is an automatic disqualification.

So, given all of this jibber-jabber.... And acknowledging that both of my horses sincerely appreciate a regular snaffle (Chewie in a French link made of aubergine, Romeo in a moderately hard rubber d-ring snaffle), how the horse-feathers do I pick western show bits? Romeo used to like his Tom Thumb, but now that I've got him bending & pleasing me in the snaffle, he hates that TT bit. Chewie will keep his head low & balanced with any bit, and doesn't seem any more willing to please in the TT, but he'll tolerate it, not throwing his head about.

Planning to show Romeo (specifically) in Walk/Trot WP classes next month. If I can't come up with a WP friendly show bit for him, I might end up giving him a crash-course in being ridden English in the D-ring, and hope he picks up on the seat contact quickly. Plans are for Chewie to be ridden by a friend in the TT, again, unless I come up with something show-approved quick.

This thread has 3 replies. This forum is accessible only to subscribing members of Dave's Garden. There are many free features here, and about half of our forums are completely open to all members. And learn more about Dave's Garden, and explore the benefits of becoming a subscribing member.

Want to join? Register here. Already signed up? Click here to login!