February's Daily Weather, #III, Still anxious for Spring!

Taylor Creek, FL(Zone 10a)

First I want to thank Early_Bloomer for this awesome picture of French Creek and I am ever so thankful I wasn't there to take it.
Here in Jacksonville it's
39.0 °F / 3.9 °C
Partly Cloudy
Humidity: 31%
Dew Point: 11 °F / -12 °C
Wind: 4.0 mph / 6 km/h from the NNE
Wind Gust: 4.0 mph / 6 km/h
I am so ready to unwrap my yard!

Please drop by often and post your weather and great pictures here.
Much Love,
Sidney

Thumbnail by sugarweed

I also started a thread on Identity theft over here; http://davesgarden.com/forums/t/694313/
S

Georgetown, SC(Zone 8a)

Holiday today, so I'm bein' lazy!

Rann/Janett: You're making me hungry!! I'm going to have to go find a cinnamon bun or something. :)

EB: Gorgeous photos (as always).

Kiska: Glad you're getting a little bit of "spring" sunlilght! :)

Right now, exactly 32F/0C and too darn cold for me! I went out to find a nice photo and gave up because my fingers were too cold. (wimp) So, here's an old one from over at the beach in Oct.

One more night of freezing then, supposed to be mid 60s tomorrow! Yahooo!!

Deb

Thumbnail by DebinSC
Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

Like darius we had a cold one last night.
Currently we are at 12ºF after a low of 9ºF.
We are supposed to see 46ºF today.......

It will be a while before this snow and ice releases.
W/ the stuff that has slid of the Garage roof we're looking at nearly 3'..... LOL!

Rannveig here those would be snow suits! lol
Ric

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

Lovely pictures, everyone!!! :-)

Sharon, I'm praying for Tressa.

Janett, that bun looks wonderful! Now I'm hungry for one, too...

The cold snap we had last week is definitely over. It's going to be in the upper 60's to mid 70's all week, dropping down into the 50's or 60's at night. There is a 20-30% chance of rain for most of the week, too. The neighbor's ash tree, which shades my yard from the west, is budding. Our Mexican plum should be next. Spring has definitely sprung. :-)

Observation for Houston, TX (KHOU) as of 7:53am CST (45 min ago)
Temperature 50 °F 10 °C
Dew Point 46 °F 8 °C
Humidity 86%
Pressure 30.16 in 1021.4 mb
Wind Speed 6 MPH 5 kts
Wind Dir SSE 150°
Ceiling Unlimited Unlimited
Visibility 10 mi 16.1 km
Current Conditions Mostly Clear
Remarks 6 hour min temperature ending 5:53am CST : 41.0°F / 5.0°C

Flora, IN(Zone 5a)

I' m glad the photo chosen for the top wasn't the delicious bun don't think I could take it,and it's just too far to Sweden to go get one. Already 28 here and sunny. Suppose to hit 40 . I hope so , discovered the ice in the gutters on the north side causing water spots on ceiling inside. Tried yesterday to remove the ice ,but was just too frozen. Will try again .

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

It's ramping up here now!
Not yet 11 AM and it's already 26°F and 68°F on the Porch!
ALL the ice in the trees is finally gone too.....
(Spring....whispering.... lol!)

Ric

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

OK it obviously doesn't take much to make ME happy....

WE BROKE FREEZING!
Currently it's 33°F. First time in almost a month!

Ric

Millersburg, PA(Zone 6b)

My gosh, Ric - if it is happening in Ohio, it will soon be here in Pa. Currently 20 degrees, windy, but a beautiful sunny day. Don't know why nothing is melting. LOL

Edit for typos.

This message was edited Feb 19, 2007 12:30 PM

Georgetown, SC(Zone 8a)

Ric: Congratulations! (It's the little things...)

Here's a sign of spring I just discovered. Hyacynth buds - a tad frost bit - but looking good!

Deb

Thumbnail by DebinSC
KC Metro area, MO(Zone 6a)

Currently in the 40s and gonna hit high 50s. YIPEEE!!!!!!!!!

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

45°F and CLIMBING!
I just went out in shirtsleeves..... cold? Yes....... but not Bitter Cold!!!

Ric

L.A. (Canoga Park), CA(Zone 10a)

We got 0.6 inches of rain overnight. It would be nice to get some heavy rain during the day so I could see and hear it, but I must not be too picky.

Updated: 10:51 AM PST on February 19, 2007
Observed at: Van Nuys, California
Elevation: 797 ft / 243 m
50 °F / 10 °C
Light Drizzle
Humidity: 71%
Dew Point: 41 °F / 5 °C
Wind: 13 mph / 20 km/h / 5.7 m/s from the North
Pressure: 29.92 in / 1013 hPa
Windchill: 45 °F / 7 °C

Picture taken yesterday.

Thumbnail by Kelli
(Zone 5a)

Thanks Sidney for the new thread :-)

Debi - gorgeous sunrise!

Ric - glad it's warming up :-)

Sharon - the "fishballs" are similar to meatballs except instead of ground beef we use ground fish as the main ingredient plus onions, spices etc.

Janett - thanks yes buns is a better word ;-) We call them "rjómabolla" (= cream bun) You eat them tomorrow??? The bakeries have had them for sale since last week I think, we extend the bun eating fun to include the weekend but after tomorrow I think they won't be available until next year. The most popular ones here are made of a dough that I think is similar to blini if anyone is familiar with that. The raising agent so to speak is water and they are hollow inside and therefore easy to fill with jam and cream.

Here's a photo :-)

Thumbnail by rannveig
(Zone 5a)

Kelli - gorgeous hiacynth - such a wonderful color :-) Loved the iris too - I wish they would grow here but they need more summer heat. Can't believe they're flowering in february for you ........ might have just a slight tinge of green envy ;-) lol

Thanks. That bun sure looks good. Here they are called cream puffs.

(Zone 5a)

cream puffs sounds good :-)

Yes and the batter is made by bringing flour and water to a boil. I may have to visit a bakery and celebrate "Bolludagur". Your traditions are so interesting. If Frank and I hadn't been happily divorced for 35 years I would have told him about konudagur the other day.
Steve, your Sunset on Tampa Bay is beautiful.
My "Instant Garage" is almost finished. I took a before and will get an after when they are finished.
The runners for the roll-up door are going up now and they still have one wall and a walk through door to go.
I'm excited.
Sidney

Rocky Mount, VA(Zone 7a)

50°(F), bright sun, water flowing in the house again. If this wx holds till the week-end I may be able to get some compost mixed into my soil.

Wesley Chapel, FL(Zone 9a)

Deb - great picture.

Steve

Wesley Chapel, FL(Zone 9a)

Sunset over Tampa Bay, Fort Desoto, Tierra Verde, Florida (near St. Pete's Beach)

Thumbnail by skaz421
(Zone 3b)

12:30; 6*F and so darn sunny it's just fantastic..But, drifting down through the sunlight, is fog that is freezing like snow on the roads.. very strange but pretty.
Sharon - hope you've had some good news by now about your friend, Teressa..Anchorage is about 45 miles from Palmer...
Rann - the "cream puff" looks wonderful - what a nice tradition..and you're passing them on down..love it.
skaz421; Tampa Bay's sunset is fantastic.
Sugarweed, love the photo for the thread -
Darius - from 10* on up to the 50 and 60's will feel quite warm.
Janett_D - the Cardamon Bunn looks great - I've got some Cardamon, but haven't used it yet - maybe in some kind of bread would be a good idea.
DebinSC - what a pretty shade of pink in the beach photo...
kelli - from a bit of rain to a Hyacinth, sounds like a good day. You'd mentioned earlier how the grapefruit blossom fragrance was a favorite - when will they be blooming?
Henryr10 - watch out for falling snow...
Marylyn_TX - spring blossoms already, lucky you, bet they smell good, too.
gardengus, too bad about the water spots on the ceiling - hope it can be repaired w/out much trouble..
The Alaska Range, from near the airport in Anchorage, yesterday.
Kiska

Thumbnail by kiska
(Zone 5a)

Beautiful photos Kiska and skaz! :-)

Kiska - it's still very cold there! I guess spring is a long way off still.

sidney - looking forward to seeing your before and after shots of you garage project - instant garage ..... that's a new one for me ;-) lol

Have a great evening all!

Tomorrow (fat tuesday) is called Sprengidagur here ...... that's "eat 'till you burst" day ;-) While Janett will be enjoying cardamon buns we'll have salted meat (lamb ofcourse) in yellow pea soup ..... until we burst ;-) lol

Here are the roses I got yesterday :-)

Thumbnail by rannveig
Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

Kiska, the mountains are beautiful!! We don't have any spring blooms yet, but they are coming. The Mexican Plum is just starting to bud a bit. It smells very good at first, but it becomes very overwhelming as the whole tree blossoms. On the whole, I don't like that tree very much, but I'm always glad to see those first blooms. When it is done the Texas Mountain Laurels take over and they are much better all around. :-)

(Zone 3b)

Rann - Thanks; this is beautiful country, and I'm just to be able to share a bit w/you all. Love your roses.
Spring is a long ways off, but, as you know, the longer days makes it seem "like" spring. :)
Marylyn_T X - interesting about the plum becoming overpowering - but at least there's something else to take it's place.
Pioneer Peak; from my deck...
Kiska

Thumbnail by kiska
Balotesti, Romania(Zone 5a)

What wonderful pictures ! It's a little bit chilly in Buchrest these days and windy . It's going to rain a few drops tonight.
Some seagulls are flying at my window !
Adina

Thumbnail by adinamiti
Flora, IN(Zone 5a)

Marylin do mountain laurels smell nice? I have seen them for sale in only one place here in mid Indiana ,and don't know a single person who has one. I have seen them offered in catalogs ,but the one I saw in person was not in bloom.

(Zone 5a)

Marylin - never thought of plum trees to have fragrant flowers - please take a photo when it blooms - never seen one in bloom :-) Which reminds me - Deb your magnolia photo earlier was just stunning! Did it get frostbite??

Kiska - another gorgeous photo :-)

Good night everyone - I'm off to bed :-)

rannveig

(Zone 3b)

Rann - thanks, and goodnight - it's only 2:50pm, Monday, here; still sunny with glittering frost coming down...20*F...
Adina - Funny seeing seagulls near the apartments; I think of them of being only near the water; nice action photo.
With 7 grandsons and snow to play in, here's one of the 7 year olds helping w/deck today.
Kiska

Thumbnail by kiska
Amelia Island, FL(Zone 9a)

Ric – Congratulations on the weather! Yay – you made it out of the deep freeze!
Deb – Pretty hyacinth!
Rann – Oh yeah – cream puffs!! Definitely a special day treat. Beautiful roses – yes your DH did good!
Steve – beautiful tropical picture!
Kiska – I never thought about fog freezing. Unusual sight I’m sure. Such a pretty picture of the range. And what an amazing sight from your deck. WOW!
Adina – How high is your building? You're **way** up there!

No further news on Tressa. The 2nd CAT scan came back without any changes. Her family has requested that no one except family visit due to the few times they can see her in a day. She is still in very critical condition. It's so sad. I have a feeling that this will end up being a "how hard do you want to fight for your life" ordeal. I hope she's strong enough to pull through.

Snapped this by accident

Thumbnail by MySharona
KC Metro area, MO(Zone 6a)

I hope Tressa has alot of fight in her.

Great picture!! Amazing that it was snapped by accident.

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

Sharon, you need to take more accidental pictures! That's lovely. I'm still praying for Tressa.

Gardengus, the Laurels smell like grape Koolaid. LOL They're always very nice when they bloom, but last year they were fantastic. I have no idea what made the difference, but we had cars stopping out front almost everyday to look at them and people knocking on the door to ask what they were. I was always happy to pull up a few of the pups and send them home with whomever asked about them! They pop up babies like crazy, but I can't say I mind. :-) Want one or six? They aren't up yet, but give it a few weeks... They won't bloom for at least 3 years, but they are beautiful evergreen large bushes/small trees here. I don't have any good pictures from last year, but I'll take some of the Laurels and the plum tree this year. :-)

That's a great picture, Adina!

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

Lovely shots all!
My word kiska there IS a Chinea on that deck!
Rann the blini are very common here in sections of the US. Here they are called Blintz.
NOTHING is a better dessert than a fresh Blueberry Blintz.

Well we actually hit 46°.
The ice is gone and the snow is melting.
It's currently 43° and the low is supposed to be 39°.
WOW I can wear a light jacket in to work tomorrow!

Here's Katt checking out the yard.
For the last month it's been Quick out-Quick in! lol
Notice her feet have actually sunk into the snow.
I was walking on this yesterday and I didn't sink!

Ric

This message was edited Feb 19, 2007 8:50 PM

Thumbnail by henryr10
(Zone 3b)

7:30pm; day's winding down, dark; temp. has dropped from 20*F this afternoon, to Zero*F. It was a wonderful weekend w/sunlight for Sat and Sunday...it's happening so often now, the heavy gray days are fading away and the light taking it's place is very welcome.
Ric - don't you just love the way Katt ventures out on the snow? Glad the ice is melting...
Sharon - what an interesting "accidental" photo...lots going on there.
Marylyn_TX - a plant that smells like grape koolaid; now that's pretty cool...
Black Spruce trees; (pretty sure). Anchorage, yesterday.
Kiska

Thumbnail by kiska
Amelia Island, FL(Zone 9a)

Mmmmmm - cheese blintz with chocolate (my life blood) sauce!
Ric – What a “cool” Katt he is!! Glad the ice is melting and life can return to normal. : )
Kiska – Your GS is outside in the 20+ degree weather in short sleeves slinging snow! That’s amazing to me. Love your deck and the chimera. Beautiful Spruce picture - looks like a Christmas card.

Today
Mostly sunny early in the morning then becoming partly cloudy. High69. Southwest winds 10 to 15 mph.

44.1 °F / 6.7 °C
Mostly Cloudy
Humidity: 71%
Dew Point: 35 °F / 2 °C
Wind: Calm
Wind Gust: 0.0 mph / 0.0 km/h
Pressure: 30.24 in / 1023.9 hPa
Visibility: 10.0 miles / 16.1 kilometers
UV: 0 out of 16
Clouds: Scattered Clouds 11000 ft / 3352 m
Mostly Cloudy 20000 ft / 6096 m

Sylvester can't wait for Daddy to go fishing and bring back some dinner!

Thumbnail by MySharona
Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

Unbelievable it's 43° here, only 1° colder than Sharon in FL!
And Dark!
Forecast is for gradual lighting near sunup and 47°.... then rain.
Here comes the flooding.....

Ric

(Zone 5a)

Good morning everyone!

The sun is out, it's a bit too breezy for my taste, but a nice 43°F so no complaints here :-)

Ric - fresh blueberries or strawberries are very good in the cream puff/blinz/rjómabollur ..... never tried cheese ones ...... I'm thinking you wouldn't put cream in those ....lol

Kiska - I too am amazed to see your grandson in shortsleeves out in 20°F weather ...... the sun's got to be warmer there than here ...... it's just now starting to feel "almost" warmish ...... the longer daylight hours sure are a welcome change and seeing more of the sun (eventhough it doesn't bring much warmth yet) :-)

Today is Sprengidagur, fat Tuesday, so we'll be having the salted meat and yellow pea soup (saltkjöt og baunir)today like everyone else here ...... anyone else have some special dish for this day???

Here's a link to some photos ;-)
http://www.mbl.is/mm/myndasafn/leit.html?is_itarleit=0&wordtype=exact&booltype=and&leit=saltkj%F6t+og+baunir&start=&end=&x=47&y=10

Hildur Eva is home today with a mild cold. She had a fever last night, but is pretty fit today so she's keeping me very busy! lol Hope you'll all have a nice day :-)

Rannveig

(Zone 3b)

7am; ( -10*F); dark, with 55mph winds predicted for the Valley later today; windchill - cold.....
And, like Ric, the forecast is for gradual lighting near sunup at 8:25am :) pretty funny, ric. Hopefully you won't have flooding.
Rann - don't your girls also just feel as if it's "warm" now that the sun's higher in the sky? The Gkids drop their coats for a few minutes now, claiming "it's spring" :) Hope Hildur Eva starts feeling better soon...
Sharon -Thanks; Sylvester looks quite content there in the sunlight...patiently waiting.
Have a good day everyone.
Sunset
Kiska

Thumbnail by kiska
Georgetown, SC(Zone 8a)

Kelli: Your hyacynth is a month ahead of mine! :) Beautiful, and they smell soooo good.
Kiska: What a view from your deck! Awe-inspiring. Must be something to see that every day.
Sharon: Great "accidental" shot.

Someone asked bout the tulip magnolia. I posted a pic of it after the freezing temps in my diary. Here's a link (I hope):
http://davesgarden.com/journal/ed/viewimage.php?did=24550

It got singed a little.

Today we're shooting for a high temp near 70*F/20C !!!! Yay! I'm practically dancing with happiness. :)

Deb

When we went for a walk today, we saw a strange sight - a cockatoo hanging out with a flock of crows. I've seen them together for about a year but only from a distance and I thought that the cockatoo was a white pigeon. I can't say that they get along very well. It always seems like the crows are harassing the cockatoo but the cockatoo must be getting something out of the arrangement.

Cloudy today.

Updated: 2:51 PM PST on February 20, 2007
Observed at: Van Nuys, California
Elevation: 797 ft / 243 m
61 °F / 16 °C
Mostly Cloudy
Humidity: 60%
Dew Point: 47 °F / 8 °C
Wind: 6 mph / 9 km/h / 2.6 m/s from the South

Thumbnail by Kelli

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.