hen and chicks

central, NJ(Zone 6b)

Can hen and chicks be grown indoors??

Aquebogue, NY(Zone 6a)

I've never done it, but in the right conditions.
Sunny and moderately dry like outdoors. They are a perennial, so winter is their dormant period. Some say the sempervivums can tolerate some shade, but will not reproduce as well. Give it a try, if they don't do as well as you'd like, transplant outdoors in the spring. They are a groundcover, so expect a little more every year. But, as with all perennials, don't expect too much in the first 1 - 2 years.

Brockton, MA(Zone 6a)

You could plant them in your shoe, too.
Andy P

Thumbnail by Sarahskeeper
Aquebogue, NY(Zone 6a)

I've heard of this before. But I've never seen such a bounty in one pair of shoes. Good job!

Brockton, MA(Zone 6a)

Alice, they were planted in April. I'll be planting another pair next April, too.
Flowerjen, I don't know how happy they would be indoors, they want a lot of strong sun. If you have enough plants that you can risk loosing a few, give it a try.
Andy P

Wheatfield, NY(Zone 6a)

jen, I saw it listed for sale on a houseplant site. it would be worth a try. you could either put it in a big pot and let the chicks root, or let the chicks trail off the sides. I love them. Couldn't seem to come home from the nursery last year without a new one. I bought some mixed seed and have a ton 1/4" seedlings, so I'll probably try growing some in the house and see what happens.

jan (aka gram)

Thumbnail by grampapa
central, NJ(Zone 6b)

Thanks for all the advice. Love the shoe thing, I saw that somewhere before.
Great pics!

Stratford, CT(Zone 6b)

Last year, I took a side shoot that had accidentally broken off and planted it in a pot and forgot about it. It's taken over the entire pot and is very happy on the drafty windowsill it currently sits on.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.