Annuals for shade?

Ottawa, ON(Zone 4a)

I've got impatiens and wax begonias for long-lasting colour, but can anyone recommend annuals that I can sow directly in the garden to supplement my perennials?

Elizabethton (Stoney, TN(Zone 6b)

Coleus is what comes to my mind.

Memphis, TN(Zone 7b)

Here are a few suggestions in addition to the coleus which is a great plant for shady areas: Browallia speciosa (tender perennial grown as annual with flowers in purple, blue or white); Torenia fournier (TP grown as annual with flowers in blue or white); Godetia (violet, purple, white flowers). In my Zone 7B a number of the sunloving annuals actually do quite well in light shade.

Allen Park, MI(Zone 6a)

I have a couple of types of sweet potatoe vines growing in my shade garden this year that are really doing good.

Paul

Ottawa, ON(Zone 4a)

I'll check these out, thanks. Still open to suggestions though... *grin*

Ottawa, ON(Zone 4a)

Paul, what do I do? Plant sweet potato fragments? Do they need a trellis?

Toadsuck, TX(Zone 7a)

Sweet Potato vines are started using potato sections with multiple eyes.
The flowers are purple, and resemble
Morning Glory. You will need something for them to climb, unless you want to have them trailing through your other flowers, which can be a very pretty effect too.

"eyes"

Ottawa, ON(Zone 4a)

Thanks "eyes"

I think what Paul was referring to was the newer varieties of sweet potato that have maroon and yellowish foliage, these were bred specifically for their decorative foliage and not for the potato itself. They can be purchased at most local garden centers in the spring. In my experience however they require sun to really perform well and look good. The color of the foliage tends to be not as bright when grown in the shade.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.