new arrival looks sick

Mulberry, FL

I just recived a orchid for a gift sent from mass. I live in Fla in a matter of 2 days its flowers are dropping and the top set of leaves are sunken in and are brown. I don't know very much about these only have a few worried about this one maybe making the others sick. Or possibly it was way to cold for the trip. Could some one please help me with advise to what could be wrong the orchid is a blue magestic thanks.

DC metro, VA(Zone 7b)

cold damage is a definite possibility. There's a photo of frost damage on an orchid here: http://www.bbg.org/gar2/topics/plants/handbooks/growingorchids/growingrequirements_temp.html
Does that look like what you have?

There's no registration for the name Blue Majestic so it's not possible to tell what kind of orchid you have there. If the cold didn't get all the growing tips, it will recover. Some orchids spread sympodially (horizontally) by putting out new growths, whereas others only have one crown and grow up. If you have the latter and the whole crown is dead, then it might not survive.

As a precaution, I would isolate it a little to make sure that when you water that plant, the runoff water does not touch other plants.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.