rescuing bloomouts

Dauphin, PA

Two years ago I had an unusual number of bloomouts (iris that send up a bloomstalk but no fans or further growth.) They're often considered write-offs when that happens, because the plant doesn't get any nourishment for the following year.

I dug all the bloomouts and put them in a separate bed. Each one got a small handful of alfalfa meal and a pinch of bone meal when planted. I cut the bloomstalk to about 8 inches, figuring some green above ground might help a little bit with photosynthesis, even if it was a bloomstalk and not a fan. I watered them when needed with comfrey tea. Beyond that, I pretty much just let them go.

Out of 126 bloomouts, I had 94 send up significant fans this past summer, and 13 more sent up something green, although I'm not convinced they really meant it - just a small spindly fan. I did water them with comfrey tea once or twice, but didn't give them any other special attention this year. Currently they're under seveal inches of snow and ice, but I'll post results this spring, because I hope a few of them will bloom for me. I think next spring will be the real show, if they're going to pull through.

With the number I have here, I'm not sure I'll always go to these lengths to rescue bloomouts, but so far this has been encouraging, and there's always varieties we just can't bear to lose. If you have bloomout for a variety you just love, don't give up on it!

katie

Deer River, MN(Zone 3b)

It's not uncommon for apparent bloom-outs to grow increases later in the season. I've had it happen a number of times. Patience is a virtue in the iris beds.

Laurie

Cedar Rapids, IA(Zone 5a)

I've had some iris come back when I gave them up for rotten! Doesn't take much "live root" to make a come back.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.