Plant challenge :-)

Springfield, MA(Zone 6a)

Can you help me?

We have a small side balcony that is accessed through our bedroom window. (It's a faux balcony, I guess). It is on the 2nd floor and faces south, though it is often shaded by very tall fir trees and the neighbour's house. The balcony is completely covered.

I would like to grow some plants in pots on the balcony - plants that would be visible from below in the garden. We could for instance, have window boxes on the railing of the balcony - or maybe large pots.

BUT - this window is also the window where we place the air conditioner in the summer. And the air conditioner is only put in place when it is both hot and humid.

So once the hot weather arrives - no chance of watering the plants. Also, little chance of rain watering the plants because of the balcony being covered.

So can you name plants that might thrive a month or so without any substantial watering except the possible wind-driven spray of rain? does such a plant exist? Could it exist in humid weather with little or no water?

I have thought of buying plastic plants . . .

In the picture - if you look at the left side of the house, at the second story - it's the white curved railing area.

Any suggestions?

Thumbnail by Seandor
Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

Unfortunately, I can't think of any plants that will do well in containers without being watered for that extended a period of time. Drought tolerant plants in the garden can get by on almost no water because their roots go deep down into the ground and are able to find some moisture a long time after the top surface of the soil has dried out. It'll help you that it's mostly in shade, but I still can't picture a container going a month or more without water during the hot summer even if it's shady. The only thing I can think of is to get a self-watering planter with a large water reservoir and see if that can keep it going. Or there are things like the Oasis automatic watering system, if you could get something like that and keep the reservoir itself inside where you can refill it, and extend the drip tubing out through the window to the plants. Not sure if that's a workable option though. If you're able to do the Oasis type thing, then any shade loving plants ought to do fine for you, but if you try the self watering planter then it's a bit tougher, you need things that can tolerate a good amt of moisture while there's still water in the reservoir, but then tolerate a lot more dryness as the reservoir dries up. Personally I'm not too familiar with shade plants in general but hopefully someone else will have some ideas for specific plants that might be able to take those conditions.

Springfield, MA(Zone 6a)

Hummm . . . . it sounds like plastic plants might be the answer. We saw phenomenal ones in Montreal - small evergreens that looked absolutely real - until you touched them. Probably cost 10 times the price of the real things . . .

Thanks for your input. :-)

Edmonton, AB(Zone 3a)

Seandor
I agree with Ecrane3 and would like to add that your air conditioner will also heat up the space around it and blow hot air out which will desicate your plants.
Perhaps you could use a pot that could be brought down to the ground when its really hot and when you remove the air conditioner they could go back up. Some of the composite type of pots can be not too bad to move around.
You have a lovely home thanks for showing us.
Ann

Springfield, MA(Zone 6a)

Thanks annabelle52. How has winter been in Edmonton? I was there once in Dec. '77 when the temperatures were -33. I have an aunt that lives in Edmonton and a daughter in Calgary. (We lived in Kamloops until 2002) :-)

The more we stay here, the more we appreciate the Canadian health care system.

Edmonton, AB(Zone 3a)

Seandor
Winter is here for sure have a look at the ice lantern that lasted for 60 days with a candle burning in it just about every night!
We have tons of snow and seem to be getting more however the sun is bright and the days are getting longer so I hope we get a slow melt.
Ann

Thumbnail by annabell52
Springfield, MA(Zone 6a)

Wow Ann, how do you do that? I have never seen an ice lantern before. It is very cool. (no pun intended :-)

Edmonton, AB(Zone 3a)

Seandor
Thanks, they are cool.
You start with -30 for a week and your 5 gallon pail freezes. Ha ha just kidding.
We have a neighbor who makes them with the pails and he needs a freezing temp for 12 hours then he drills a hole in the ice and pours the water into another pail and I end up with two of these babies to put candles in till they melt. He does this for the whole neighborhood and its so welcoming when I come home from work in the dark. The whole street has this glow that fools you into liking the cold! There is a whole bunch of science involved and he has it figured out.
Talk to you later.
Ann

Springfield, MA(Zone 6a)

Ann, I showed the picture to DH - I wonder if I can convince him to do this? do you really use 5 gallon pails (we have lots of these from buying dtergent from Costco.). Ummm . . . maybe I will google ice lamps and see what I get :-)

Edmonton, AB(Zone 3a)

Seandor
I will see Tim the iceman when he gets back from the coast and ask him for you. He may have the directions in email formatt and if so I will send them.
It may take a few weeks.
Talk to you later.
Ann

Springfield, MA(Zone 6a)

Thanks! We might have to wait until next winter . . . but the ice candles look sooo beautiful - they are worth waiting for. :-)

Snowing here now. Hope spring returns early to Alberta (and sticks around -none of that Chinook stuff!)

Seandor

Edmonton, AB(Zone 3a)

Seandor
Thanks for the early spring wish!
Enjoy your snow, everything looks so nice and clean for a little bit .
Ann

Springfield, MA(Zone 6a)

Spring is coming - currently about 40 degree F. Snow is melting (though more snow predicted for tomorrow. )

Here is a picture of my sweet peas. Still have a month to go before they can be planted outside. They are about 3 inches tall.

Thumbnail by Seandor
Edmonton, AB(Zone 3a)

Wow That means you are planting out in April!!
That is almost 60 days before us.
We aim for the end of May but I kind of force the issue and leave started things outside in the day and inside at night. That is a pain in the ---- for my hubby cause if I work late he has to haul all of it in for me, LOL.
My started plants are still at the two leaf stage except for my overwintered Canna's which are about 24 inches tall. But we still have 30+ inches of snow outside and no near hope of it melting soon.
Do you have lights for your starters? I like your newspaper pots, that must make it easy to plant out , pot and all.
Talk to you soon.
Ann

Springfield, MA(Zone 6a)

Our average last day of frost is April 29. Only the sweet peas will go out early and the hardy perennials. Here the temperature can go from cool spring to hot and humid summer literally over night - so if I hope to enjoy any sweetpeas I am supposed to start them early and get them planted outside ASAP - apparently they can survive a light frost or two.

Tender annuals will wait until May.

yeah, the paper pots should make planting outside a snap.

I don't have any lights. But i do put plants outside on the black top driveway when it is above freezing and bring them in at night.

currently, it is pelting down rain and the snow is slowly melting away. I hope it will all be gone in 2 weeks. :-)

cheers,
Michaela

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.