starting caladiums '& pictures - x post

Beachwood, OH

I want to do a mix of impatiens and caladiums for a morning sun bed that gets a lot of moisture. Our spring time temps are cold way too long to get caladiums going outside. I've tried it a few years and they never look really good till August. So want to start in the house. Does anyone have any good suggestions for starting them? I don't have heat mats and all that. I keep one of our rooms cool but it is bright in there. Would that be appropriate?

Also does anybody have any pictures of mass plantings of caladiums? I want to see how to mix White Christmas in so it blends. I just bought White Christmas and Florida Cardinal and was planning to use pink, red and white impatiens.

Thanks!

I posted this to Foliage Plants also.

Cedar Rapids, IA(Zone 5a)

Hi alyrics - I'm in 5a, and plan to begin my caladiums in about a month indoors. Since they need at least a constant 60 - 65 degrees in the soil to break dormancy, I keep them in a warm room, but do not use the grow light on them after they sprout. Not sure if that's the best way, but they are usually 7 - 8" tall when I transplant them in early June. Here are a couple of pics of the combination of elephant ears, impatiens, hosta, and caladium that I have in a bed. - Dax

Thumbnail by dax080

And here is a different section that highlights the elephant ears -

Thumbnail by dax080

And a favorite - my mom's memorial angel - Dax

Thumbnail by dax080
So. Puget Sound, WA(Zone 8b)

I too would like to start my new Caladiums inside. I'd like to start them in pots and then plant pots and all so I can dig them up easily to over winter them in the garage. I've no idea how large a pot that would require. Would 4" be too small for #1 bulbs?

Hi - I start them in 4" pots, and they are large enough for the 8 weeks I am growing them. But if you want to keep them in pots permanently, I would suggest moving them to gallon pots before taking them outside. Dependent on the mature size range of the caladium, you will want to adjust your pot size. Here is a color combination that I really like - Dax

Thumbnail by dax080

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.