making flower pouches

Springfield, MA(Zone 6a)

In the T & M seed catalogue, they sell "flower pouches" - 3 pouches for $11.00 This strikes me as rather expensive for vinyl and some water retaining gel.

Has anyone used these before? Is it possible to create your own? (My husband has a roll of extra heavy vinyl drop sheet.

I am going to post this to few forums - so please excuse the cross-listing. :-)

Assonet, MA(Zone 6b)

Seandor - Mskatt has a posting on the container gardening thread about these. I use them all over - no one dares to remain stationery too long in my garden .

Springfield, MA(Zone 6a)

Thanks Daiseycat :-)

Lower Hudson Valley, NY(Zone 6b)

I used them a couple of years. I did not like them because they required lots of watering due to the limited amount of soil in them. Also, when you do water, you have to do so carefully and slowly as water inevitably comes out of the plant holes. All in all, just not worth it in my opinion. So many other options available now.

Victor

Springfield, MA(Zone 6a)

Thanks for your feedback Victor. I think I will pass on the flower pouches - at least for this year. But they sure look good in the pictures!

I wonder if anyone has pictures of their flower pouches?

central, NJ(Zone 6b)

I didn't like them, I didn't take any pics because they were pitiful.

Assonet, MA(Zone 6b)

Sorry that I don't have pics to show you, but mine are spectacular. They do require almost daily watering (some water draining through holes = no big deal), but I enjoy watering. They give a pop of color in any odd nook or corner, or hide a spot that didn't work out as planned. I have one pair that have 36 holes each. My hands hurt after planting them but they are sooo worth it. They are absolute eye candy till frost.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.