Tropical fruit pics

Fulton, MO

Since the forum has been a little bit slow lately, I thought I would try jump starting things with some pics from a recent trip.

This is a Naseberry, Sapodilla

Thumbnail by stressbaby
Fulton, MO

The whole tree

Thumbnail by stressbaby
Fulton, MO

Malay apple, Syzygium malaccense

Thumbnail by stressbaby
Fulton, MO

June plum, about 4 feet high

Thumbnail by stressbaby
Lee's Summit, MO(Zone 6a)

Gorgeous! Where did you see them and did you eat any of these fruits?

Fulton, MO

Hi Kay

This was Jamaica. I sampled all of these and more. Sapodilla truly does taste like pears in brown sugar. The gardener climbed the tree for the Malay Apple, which has bright white flesh, very refreshing. The June Plum was not yet ripe, so no comment there. Also had Breadfruit (starchy and potato-like), Jakfruit better than expected, Soursop (very similar to the Cherimoyas I have had)

Here is what I think is a baby Soursop

This message was edited Feb 16, 2007 10:14 PM

Thumbnail by stressbaby
Fulton, MO

Bride of Barbados, Caesalpinia pulcherrima

Thumbnail by stressbaby
Merritt Island, FL(Zone 10a)

That baby soursop is a Noni ( Morinda citrifolia) in the coffee family. Pretty interesting plant...many health claims.

Fulton, MO

Thanks, OldNed!

Raleigh, NC(Zone 7b)

lol have you guys ever smelled a ripe noni?? Its the most disgusting smell in the world....the Hawaiians valued it for its medicinal value, but I couldn't imagine using it-

Miami, FL

Those are great pictures, Stressbaby - I love sapodilla, but I've always thought that malay apple is a bit on the bland side. Maybe I've just had bad ones? OldNed is definitely right about that being a noni, by the way. And tigerlily123 is definitely right about the noni smell - it's like rancid vomit. Personally, I think all of that business about noni's medical properties is a bunch of hype...

Raleigh, NC(Zone 7b)

you are right, eldys, in that the malay apple ( we always called it a mtn apple) is sort of bland, but it is light and "juicy" -like drinking a flavored water-and its a nice change from a sweeter fruit.

Tampa, FL(Zone 10a)

indeed the noni stinks and the health claims are hopeful at best.

Alan

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.