Too many Cedar Waxwings.

Santa Fe, TX(Zone 9b)

Since I took over a hundred pics of Cedar Waxwings today, I will only post 6. There have been thousands of them all over our place, most of the trees have been filled most of the day.
1 of 6.

Thumbnail by trois
Santa Fe, TX(Zone 9b)

2 of 6.

Thumbnail by trois
Santa Fe, TX(Zone 9b)

3 of 6.

Thumbnail by trois
Santa Fe, TX(Zone 9b)

4 of 6.

Thumbnail by trois
Santa Fe, TX(Zone 9b)

5 of 6.

Thumbnail by trois
Santa Fe, TX(Zone 9b)

6 of 6.

Thumbnail by trois
Marlton, NJ

Really nice pics trois! These guys are so space age looking.

Santa Fe, TX(Zone 9b)

They are very neat looking alright.

Thanks!

Northumberland, United Kingdom(Zone 9a)

Check through them carefully, for any with white wing bars, grey belly, and dark red under-tail coverts . . .

Resin

Gladwin, MI(Zone 5a)

Do you always have so many? or are they getting ready to come up this way. If so tell them to hold off for a while, it is still way, way, too cold here. sub zero.......brrrr
I love seeing these birds. They like one of our wild cherry trees and strip it quickly. Such a neat, slick looking bird. I just love them.

Santa Fe, TX(Zone 9b)

Resin, there are some with those markings. What does it signify?

Santa Fe, TX(Zone 9b)

cpartschick, they just showed up the last few days. I guess it was the extreme cold further North that drove them here.

Santa Fe, TX(Zone 9b)

Resin, this is what I saw.

Thumbnail by trois
Greenville, SC(Zone 7a)

awsome! I hope they head towards my way when it warms up again!

Northumberland, United Kingdom(Zone 9a)

Here's what you want to be looking for among them:
http://www.rspb.org.uk/Images/waxwing_tcm3-22286.jpg
If you see one like this, it's a Bohemian Waxwing (as far south as Texas, very rare, but known during big waxwing irruptions).

Resin

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

Wow, Trois! Those are beautiful. I don't think I've ever seen a Cedar Waxwing in person. The Bohemian Waxwings are pretty neat looking, too, Resin! :-)

Santa Fe, TX(Zone 9b)

So far all have yellowish bellies. I will keep watch. They are still here, for the night.

Whidbey Island, WA(Zone 7a)

Trois, sensational photos - how I would love to see them in person. I'd probably be shaking so hard I wouldn't be able to get a good photo!!

Pelle - you're right - they are space age looking!!!

Citra, FL

What a gorgeous group photo that is. That is one bird I havent seen here yet, tho I know they are around here. I planted a couple of Palatka hollies hoping that their berries will entice them to visit. They only had 3 berries on them this year...okay, so they are young....so Im hoping next year there will be a better buffet to offer. What gorgeous birds.....

Santa Fe, TX(Zone 9b)

Thanks Murmur and halo. I have been blessed. I think they may be eating the yupon holly, as that is the only berries we have lots of now.

Anchorage, AK(Zone 4a)

Trois, Resin was describing the markings for a Bohemian Waxwing. All of the birds in your pictures are Cedar Waxwings. I'm posting a shot of Bohemian Waxwings, I took a few days ago. Notice the breasts are gray. The under side of the tail is reddish-brown. There is a Yellow bar on the wings, but none of the birds in my shot are facing so it can be seen.

Thumbnail by Grasmussen
Hebron, KY

Trois,

Beautiful and elegant looking birds. Thanks for sharing all your great photos with us.

Marilyn

Hebron, KY

Gras,

Thanks for sharing your great pic! I've never seen a Bohemian Waxwing before and they sure are beautiful and elegant too!

Marilyn

Santa Fe, TX(Zone 9b)

I have been watching for the Bohemian but none have been mixed in so far. Several times I looked up and saw over a hundred yellow bellies facing me.

Thanks

trois

PS---3 late afternoon add ons.

Thumbnail by trois
Santa Fe, TX(Zone 9b)

Another shot.

Thumbnail by trois
Santa Fe, TX(Zone 9b)

Last one.

Thumbnail by trois
Battle Ground, WA(Zone 8b)

Trois, we used to get flocks of cedar waxwings about this time every year at our old house here in Salinas. There were some bushes around the outside of the back fence that were loaded with berries that apparently attracted them. They were partial to a Liquidambar tree along the road in front of my neighbor's house -- hundreds of them would roost there and poop all over his car..... One day my wife opened our garage door and about 50 of them flew in and sat up in the rafters -- took us a couple of hours to get rid of the last of them (without hurting them, I might add). We decided that they gave us a pretty good clue as to the origins of the term "bird brain". They are pretty little things, though.

Jim

Santa Fe, TX(Zone 9b)

Thanks, and they are pretty. It turns out that we have most of their favorite berry plants. They could stay long time eating them all.
I wish these were that trusting.

trois

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.