Alcea Rosea

Atlanta, GA(Zone 7b)

Hi all, i am very new to DG (only 24hrs) and new to US (original frm Netherlands) and hve question already. Does any one know how Alcea Rosea (or stockrose) does in Atlanta?
Any advise?

Powder Springs, GA(Zone 7b)

Welcome to the US, GA, and DG TulipLady! Alcea (most people here probably call them hollyhocks) do fine here but they aren't as long lived as they would be further north (in my opinion - they seem to be very long lived in KY for example). They tend to attract spider mites and can get rust but that should not stop you from growing them. I have grown them in the past and plan on growing some this year (just picked up some seed for doubles, singles, and nigra recently). I'm just waiting until spring to sow them in the garden.

Lakemont, GA(Zone 8a)

Tuliplady,
Welcome to Georgia, and Daves, Tulip lady!

Most hollyhocks (alcea) are biennial for me and some are perennial- returning from the roots. In fact, my Nigra black hollyhock is evergreen. As long as I dont water the foliage and/or water late at night, I dont have much of a rust problem.

BTW, you might want to recheck your zone. I'm pretty sure you're not a 5. You're probably 7a or 7b. I am about 60 mi NE of Hotlanta and I'm zone 7b.

If there is any way any of us can help you PLEASE let us know!

Atlanta, GA(Zone 7b)

Thanks for your welcome hcmcdole and berrygirl, don't know how my listing got to be zone 5b, I know it is 7b. i'm sure i made mistake signing on. The hollyhocks (thank you i could NOT remember the name in english!) is a biennial, evidently my neighb. in Holland put some seeds in glass jar, I just found it when opening my garden boxes. What a suprise with note and all. They are "black" . Sunny spot, need support right? Not watering in evening is because? In september I planted bunch of tulip bulbs in front yard, gave it a good thick layer of new soil, yesterday I discoverd they are coming up! I am a very happy TulipLady indeed! Hope I can kepp tem over till next year. Should I dig them up after blooming or let them be, like in Holland?

Powder Springs, GA(Zone 7b)

Tulips in the Southeast are usually treated as annuals. Summers come in fast and hot so the foliage doesn't have enough time to store energy back into the bulb for blooming the next year. There will always be a few tulips that defy the odds and come back like perennial bulbs that they are. Not that the bulbs die but rather they become smaller and smaller each succeeding year until they finally disappear. That said, if you want a great show each year, it is best to plant new ones each year. Daffodils are another matter and multiply like crazy. Peonies do very good but make sure to plant the eyes at ground level or slightly below ground level. Iris do fairly well as well.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.