Sweet peas versus morning glory

(Zone 4a)

Would you suggest using any of these plants in baskets??? I really wanted to do something different with my pots this year. My pots are up against a fence so I thought it would be nice to have some type of vine. Although I have heard that these 2 plants can be invasive. Any thoughts on them? I have heard some good but a lot of bad about them.

(Arlene) Southold, NY(Zone 7a)

The self-seeding of morning glory's was (probably will be again this year) a problem. We ripped them out (2005) after they invaded the tomatoes and other vegetables but must have taken out more than 1,000 seedlings in 2006. I have no experience with sweet peas but would love to know how others, who have grown it, feel.

Would you be interested in trying one of the clematises by Raymond Evison, called patio clematis. They don't grow as tall as typical clematis. I'll get a link and come back and post it.

http://www.gardenmediagroup.com/pressroom/hines_patio_clematis_debut.htm

The above link is two years old but it does show photos of each clematis.

(Zone 4a)

I willl have to look into that pirl but I am not sure how it will do during the winter??? Do you think it would keep in a pot??? If so then I am all for it for sure! I love clematis!!!

I knew you liked Clematis from your thread! Probably you could over winter them in the garage with monthly watering and against the warm wall of the house (provided it's an attached garage) or else a very cool basement.

It's a great question to ask (by email) of those who sell them!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.