What is this on the leaf?

Mysore, India(Zone 10a)

I noticed this 'growth' on the leaf. It was a few millimetres long with white tips. Is it any fungus or moss or ...?? I'm wondering how it came there and what it is.

Thumbnail by Dinu
Seale, AL(Zone 8b)

Dinu... Are those little white egg looking capsules attache d by thin looking threads? If it is it could be Lacewing bugs. Which are beneficials and you want to protect at all costs.

Here a link to a thread to seee is your pic looks the same. Kinda hard to get a look at yours.

http://woodypest.ifas.ufl.edu/224.htm

If it is lacewing bugs. That good. Will help you with any aphid outbreaks you might have, so if you happen to discover you have aphids, becareful, becaus e in eradicating them, you wil kill the beneficial. Study pics of the Lacebug larvae so you can be sure and tell them apart.

Mysore, India(Zone 10a)

Yes it is, Stars. Many thanks for the very enlightening link and information you have provided. I will observe it. And I will ask my DD to keep watch when I'm away next week. She'd be interested in studying it. My picture is not sharp, but you have managed to come back with an accurate link!

The Woodlands, TX(Zone 9a)

Just want to correct some terminology that might be confusing here. Lacewings are beneficial, and those are the green lacewing's eggs. Yes, you have good guys. OTOH, Lacebugs are sucking insects that are pests, and they have nothing to do with this thread....
Wings are good, bugs are bad.....

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.