CLOSED: What is this?

Burleson, TX(Zone 8a)

A few weeks ago I had some time to waste so I sat in my car at the Botanic Gardens watching about 30 Robins. This little fellow showed up and danced up and down the tree trunk, which was more fun to watch than the Robins.

My neighborhood has very few birds (sparrows and doves) but I happened to see one of these on my tree yesterday! So, what is it and how can I get it to come back? :)

Thumbnail by konkreteblond
Marlton, NJ

Wow, this is hard for me. Orange Crowned Warbler?

Burleson, TX(Zone 8a)

Well, that actually makes me feel a lot better that it's hard for you! I tried to find out before I asked but I just can't find anything that looks just like this. The OCW and I think a Kinglet were the 2 that came the closest.

Here's another pic that might help.

Whidbey Island, WA(Zone 7a)

As usual, I haven't a clue, but it sure is one cute little bird!!!

Northumberland, United Kingdom(Zone 9a)

I'd agree with Orange-crowned Warbler too.

Resin

Kingsport, TN(Zone 6b)

How great that you had your camera handy! I have never seen one of these. Thanks for posting.

Burleson, TX(Zone 8a)

I had actually been on a field trip with my son's 2nd grade class to the Fort Worth Stock Show so that's why I had the camera. I learned that day tho to never go to the Botanic Gardens without binoculars! As soon as I got home I put an small pair in the glove box for future trips.

I sure wish I had a better camera because the little guy came back to my feeder again today! My cat started making that weird noise so I knew I had a visitor. My son went to look and I commented that it was probably a sparrow but he said "no, this is really small" so I went running and we got to watch it for a bit. Funny, my cat is so used to looking at sparrows that he doesn't even make noises at them. I'll be listening to him more if he's going to alert me!

Kingsport, TN(Zone 6b)

Ha ha, what a great story! I am finding that bird photography is very challenging. To get good pictures at a distance you really need a long telephoto and a tripod. But those are too unwieldy to walk around with. Some use a unipod (kind of like a hiking stick with a camera attachment area on top) but there is still the problem of carrying a heavy long lens.

Great mystery bird catch!

Burleson, TX(Zone 8a)

I would love to have a camera like that! Someday.... :) Mine is just a little Kodak and great for flowers and butterfly close-ups but not so good for birds. Luckily tho the digital camera prices are so low that I can upgrade easily. Looking at all the great pics posted sure makes it hard to wait tho!

Kingsport, TN(Zone 6b)

I know what you mean - I am hoping for a digital that comes with a "magic wand" attachment lol!

Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

Hi Paige!
I was searching all the pics for Ruby-crowned Kinglet posts and stumbled on this thread. I must have missed it when you first posted it and didn't catch it then.

The bird you saw and got two pics of was definitely a Ruby-crowned Kinglet. No doubt about it!

Keep looking for them, because they do stay in our area January & February. I watch them here for about 1 1/2- 2 months in winter every year. Sheila had them in her garden last year too. The returned here in Watauga on Jan 14. Put up some sugar water for the Kinglet and Warblers that they can dip into with their short beaks, and of course hang a block of suet. (Bird stores have insect suet, which they love)...Thats all. You and Sheila both oughta see them again very soon.

Sorry I missed this thread, gf!!

debnes

Burleson, TX(Zone 8a)

Thanks for the info Deb! I actually saw one about a month or more ago. It was a really nice day and I had the windows open and heard it, but didn't know what it was and couldn't see it. I took my son to school and had to come back home before going to work and heard it again so I sat by the window and watched until I saw this tiny little fella running up and down a milkweed stalk, just like on the tree! I was so excited! It made my day. :) I'd love to do something to attract them. I'll have to check out that bug suet.

...just out of curiosity, I looked back thru emails to see when I told a friend about that little bird and it was on Dec. 7th.

This is who came to visit the other day. I thought I saw "something" go by my window and when I looked out I saw this hawk sitting on my brugs! I got a new camera but have not figured out really how to work it but I got a couple of pics thru the window. Of course he just HAD to sit right in front of the huge brush/compost pile and bags! lol

This message was edited Jan 16, 2008 8:57 PM

Burleson, TX(Zone 8a)

The neighbor's new paint is going to make for interesting pictures now. It's a Cooper's Hawk?

ps...Debnes, sugar water mixed the same as for hummers? leave off the bottom part so they can drink or put it in something else?

This message was edited Jan 16, 2008 8:59 PM

Georgetown, TX(Zone 8a)

I had a Ruby Crowned Kinglet a couple/few weeks ago. I think I posted about it in the first volume of the "ID me" threads because it was new to me and I was new to birding (still am). They are just the CUTEST! I saw it a couple days later at/near my feeder. So tiny.

Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

Yes Paige leave the bottom part off, perfecto!

I am writing an article about RCKL and was looking up ALL the member posts with pictures so I could hyperlink them by states in the article.

PK :-) I saw your Kinglet too!! I was very glad for you girl!!

Here is the feeder I have up without the flowery hummer plate>

Thumbnail by debnes_dfw_tx
Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

Paige~
Sorry about the color of your neighbor's house... But that hawk really "pops"!

If it's any consolation to you, I Photo Studio'd your neighbor's house...

Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

Ruby-crowned Kinglet taken by konkreteblonde...

Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

Paige, I Photo Studio'd the RCKL pic too, so it would show up better...

I was thinking it was the same bird in your first pic, but if they were taken 2 separate times... Well, I took a closer look...

correction the first pic in this thread IS an Orange-crowned Warbler.. Resin and Pelle had the first pic correct!
The second pic is a Kinglet for sure!

They do travel along with Kinglets and other Warblers here in winter bc they all eat the same things.

Warblers have smaller eyes and they don't have the big white eye ring like RCKL. Also the Warbler doesn't have the wing bars. They are the same kind of olive color though and they often get mistaken for each other at a glance.

Quoting:
It's a Cooper's Hawk?

I'd say Sharp-shinned Hawk, it looks too dainty for Cooper's, and the tail doesn't have a rounded end.

Resin

Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

I agree Sharpie, Resin.... :-) lol!

(I was still caught up in the IDs before.)

One of several hawk here today...

A Cooper's

Remind me not to multi-task you guys,,, sheesh!

This message was edited Jan 17, 2008 5:26 PM

Marlton, NJ

Very nice pic Debnes!

Burleson, TX(Zone 8a)

Thanks Debnes, but now to add to the confusion...that is the same bird in both pics. Back to the drawing board? Since I don't have a pic of the one in my yard, I can't be sure what it was but it looked like this one and did the same little dance up and down the tree trunk and plant stalk. Cutest thing! Makes me want to get bug suet! :)

I think I have that same hummer feeder. Do I use the same mixture as for hummers??

Sharpie huh? My dad thought it was a Cooper's. Love that pic of yours! Those tear drops on the feathers are amazing! He is much thicker looking than mine. I was amazed to learn that their eyes are red!

Now Debnes, I just need you to come paint the neighbor's house. lol I'm actually used to it but noticed it in the pics. I'll probably love it in the spring tho.

Quoting:
but now to add to the confusion...that is the same bird in both pics

As the second pic is clearer, I'd go for Ruby-crowned Kinglet then.

Resin

Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

Thank you Resin!
I really wasn't trying to cause any confusion... I get way too excited when it comes to Kinglets, lol!

Quoting:
...the first pic in this thread IS an Orange-crowned Warbler.. Resin and Pelle had the first pic correct!
The second pic is a Kinglet for sure!

http://www.oiseaux.net/birds/ruby-crowned.kinglet.html
You know Paige, You're right... It should look better in spring. Especially with all of your gorgeous butterfly plants in front of it!! I can imagine that easy!

:-)

This message was edited Jan 18, 2008 7:41 AM

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.