Aren't they lovely? Camellia Japonica

surfside beach, SC(Zone 8b)

Here are pictures of 2 flowers from 2 different Camelia Japonica bushes.The first flower is huge.They usually bloom in march.I bought them about 5 years ago at a big box store,so no names.

This message was edited Feb 15, 2007 7:37 AM

Thumbnail by downscale_babe

Second picture

I'm not sure if I posted these pictures on the right forum.I know that Camellias are not in this family.My only other option seems to be trees and shrubs.What do you think?

This message was edited Feb 15, 2007 7:41 AM

Posting another c.japonica picture.Should I be over in trees and shrubs?

This time it is Nuccio's Gem.I just love the form of these flowers.On my wish list is Nuccio's Pearl.

This message was edited Mar 11, 2007 5:47 PM

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

Those are beautiful, I've several C. Japonicas that are pink, and the blooms are hughe. In my zone, I've just saw some of the last blooms. Upon close inspection, I've noticed some spotted, circular yellowish/brown spots on some of the leave on one particular Shrub. I picked the leave off, and the underside are fully covered by tiny little white streaks, and tiny little black spots. I'll have to take these infected plant to the local Extension Office for diagnose, but I wonder if anyone else shares same problem with their camelias?
Thanks

Thanks for answering.

I have never had that problem with my Camellias.I would also take them to the extension office.

I have had scale and sooty mold because I grow my Camellias under Oak trees and don't use any chemicals.I sometimes wash the leaves with dish soap solution but the problem has never gotten really bad.

Central, AL(Zone 7b)

I too, try to avoid chemical as much as I can, I found soap spray works very well to deter/rid off aphids thus prevent sooty mold. With other tough bugs such as scale and mites, mealy bugs I've to pull out the big guns.
Thanks for your response.

West Pottsgrove, PA(Zone 6b)

They are beautiful. I never had much luck getting them to bloom, but even just the foliage was nice. Are they fragrant? That's how much I know about them...:)
Until you mentioned it, I could have believed Camellias were in Ericaceae, instead of Theaceae. A lot more people would see this in Trees and Shrubs, but I doubt anyone minds them here.

Not much fragrance sorry to say.

I knew I was in the wrong place when I didn't get any responses.The reason I think of them together is that they are acid lovers and when this forum was first started I suggested the name "acid lovers"but nobody bought it.

Never mind where it is because it isn't Camellia season any more.There are only a few flowers on my plants but they are all putting out new growth after a meal of Hollytone.
Thanks for answering

West Pottsgrove, PA(Zone 6b)

That is/was a good idea, 'acid lovers' ! Now I see the connection. The Rhodie forum is kind of slow, sad to say. It's been picking up lately now that spring is here, though.

Oakland, OR(Zone 8a)

I have several Camellia bushes. Two are Japonicas and two are Sasanquas. The latter bloom in the fall and winter - some cultivars as early as September. I think they are my favorite plants, but not really all that popular. Glad to find someone else who loves them. Dotti

Hi Dotti
I think that almost everyone in the south loves Camellias.I also have Sasanquas and Japonicas.Together they provide over 6 months of blooms.

I have heard that some people from the North ask how we can have roses blooming in the middle of winter.I think that they are only popular in areas where they can go easily.In my garden they grow with no problems.I just give them a shot of Hollytone once in a while and they just do their thing and produce masses of flowers.

Nancy

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.