mealy bug question

Fate, TX(Zone 8a)

i live in texas and noticed mealy bugs on the plants that i have overwintered inside my house. i know about the alcohol treatment. and will do that as i don't have a lot of them. my question is this...........once the plants are outside again will they die? it has been warm for a few days and i moved all of the plants outside.

Yukon, OK(Zone 7b)

mamajack, I don't think they will die. I have had horrible problems with mealy bugs in the past. I've used the alcohol treatment too. You just have to be diligent and keep after them.

I do plan to use a sytemic this year from Bayer. I've heard that will help with them.

Fate, TX(Zone 8a)

thanks brinda. i will keep checking but i think i have these under control. i have never noticed the things outside here. so maybe we get so hot and dry in the summer that they can't live here. at least i am wishfully hoping. lol. barb

The Woodlands, TX(Zone 9a)

Bayer makes a couple of systemics. Don't use the one that is made of disulfoton. It is highly toxic to mammals - as in cats and dogs. Really nasty stuff. The imidacloprid has low toxicity to mammalians. It is actually the component of one of the flea/tick spot treatments used on cats and dogs. That doesn't mean you would want them to roll around in it.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.