Any Petunia Experts?

Tempe, AZ(Zone 9b)

Over in the Southwest Gardening forum we are pondering the cause and cure for sticky petunias. Is it the age of the plant? Bugs perhaps? Mine usually die right after they reach this stage. I have always thought that is was aphids but there are no aphids on them now and they are getting stickey. Any help would be appreciated!

Edmonton, AB(Zone 3a)

Hi Kimaz
When you say sticky do you mean when the leaves get brown and fall off towards the end of the season? If so I have found that giving them a shot of Muracid ( stuff for evergreens) perks them up for the last month and if I catch that soon enough I don't even get the brown/yellow at all. I don't do this to anything but Petunias and mostly the super or wave type.
A little old lady suggested this a few years ago and it worked for me.
Ann

Seale, AL(Zone 8b)

Kimaz.... There is no cure for the stickiness. Petunias are one of the few plants that produce this stickines s naturally. It is especially more prevelant in the old fashioned cultivars.

Just keep an eye out for thrips and aphids as they are attracted to this stickiness.

If you cut some of petunia blooms off they will keep producing more flowers for you. During hot seasons cut them way back and put in a cool shady place and they will regrow and rebloom good for you in the fall.

Also, the smaller the bloom you have the longer your plant wil last.

Tempe, AZ(Zone 9b)

Thank you both for your response. I feel much better now that I know its nothing I'm doing. Muracid and cutting back is my plan of defense!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.