NORFOLK PINE FOR ALBANY NY

Atlantic Beach, NY

I HAVE A PLACE NEAR ALBANY NY.

I WAS WONDERING IF A NORFOLK PINE WILL SURVIVE HERE?

THANX MIKE

(Arlene) Southold, NY(Zone 7a)

Indoors, yes; outdoors, NO.

Fayetteville, PA(Zone 6b)

Norfolk Island pine won't survive outside, but the closely related Monkey Puzzle tree (Aurucaria araucana) will... There are some growing in the streets of Juneau, AK that someone photographed and sent to Birds and Blooms magazine because they didn't know what they were.

Aquebogue, NY(Zone 6a)

These guys are right. Can't put that beauty outside until the weather warms up. Did anybody else read about the Wollemi pine? It was an article in our newspaper on the Nort Fork on L. I. Well, apparently it is closely related to the Monkey Puzzle tree and the Norfolk Island pine. In order to obtain one, you have to order them online through the National Geographic site or through the wollemi pine site itself. Maybe DG can get a hold of some. Pretty interesting looking, but very pricey.

I missed it. How big is it?

Aquebogue, NY(Zone 6a)

These are the stats.
It grows up to 3 feet a year, can reach 65 feet in it's lifetime, the tallest is 131 feet at about 1,000 years of growth.
Holding back on light and fertilizer will slow it's growth they say. Can be cut back, to keep it indoors.
It's a deep green color, has fernlike foliage and bark that looks like bubbling chocolate. (that's their description, not mine). Multiple trunks grow from the roots.
Doesn't sound too bad. I would need some room for it.

I keep my NIP indoors and (believe it or not) it doubles as our Christmas tree so at 3' a year I guess the Wollemi isn't a good choice for indoors.

When I Googled Norfolk Island I was surprised to see it's off the east coast of Australia.

Southern, CT(Zone 6a)

And I always assumed they were from VA!

http://www.norfolkisland.com.au/map/index.cfm

Quite interesting!

Aquebogue, NY(Zone 6a)

Very interesting read. thank you.
Only thing is, it's about 28 hours from here by plane. Hmmmm.
A frien of mine is going to New Zealand soon. Lucky lady.

I'd love to see the Japanese irises in bloom in Australia at Christmas time. They have had a horrible summer!

Aquebogue, NY(Zone 6a)

I will have to ask my friend from Australia. He has not been home since last Nov. ? I think. It would make him miss it more.
I've never seen these irises from Australia.

Here they bloom after the tall bearded irises. I have many but never enough.

Thumbnail by pirl
Aquebogue, NY(Zone 6a)

Absolutely gorgeous! I think I have to find some.

I'll dmail you with the names of places I've used.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.