Another Bald Eagle Day

Whidbey Island, WA(Zone 7a)

Last Thursday I was downright giddy from the thrill of seeing the eagles at a nearby beach. I wish I could have captured a closeup of the eagles as they appeared above the bluff and headed towards me (on the beach below), but just too far away.

I'll be posting some more photos - some good, some not so good (but hopefully worth viewing for the material).

Thumbnail by Murmur

A bit gruesome - don't enlarge if you think a "dead duck" might bother you!!

Thumbnail by Murmur

And another not for the weak of stomach . . . (I believe dinner was a Western Grebe).

Thumbnail by Murmur

This one actually taken before the above two.

Thumbnail by Murmur

Hard to get the bird to show up against that background and I probably overdid the editing, but you get the idea.

Thumbnail by Murmur

Not too good, but I was fascinated at capturing a bit of his "turn."

Thumbnail by Murmur

And this bank shot - also not too good, but the angle was amazing.

Thumbnail by Murmur

A juvenile . . .

Thumbnail by Murmur
Leesburg, FL(Zone 9b)

WOW.. that first one is gorgeous.

how close was it to you? the details are very defined. (unless you had a HUGE lens)

And a talon "print" in the sand.

Thumbnail by Murmur

The lens is a 300mm - and the lighting was superb. It is, of course, cropped to bring it closer, but I was thrilled with it. When viewing through the lens, I actually felt like I needed to fall over backwards to avoid it flying right into me!! A true thrill.

Marlton, NJ

Great pics Murmur!! Congratulations!

Linthicum Heights, MD(Zone 7a)

Nice series of photos, Murmur. You certainly captured the essence of the moment. It is very difficult to focus on moving objects with a long lens. I was out practicing again yesterday on Sea Gulls, Mallard Ducks, etc. Did you have the camera set on Autofocus or Manual Focus ? Some cameras/lenses are slower than others in focusing when on automatic. What was your shutter speed and aperture setting ? I just know that the opportunity will present itself again for you.

I was on autofocus, Linth - I was afraid I wouldn't be able to keep up with the focusing either if it was on manual. And I have yet to learn about shutter speed and aperture setting, but will do so (hopefully soon!). I believe this particular beach often has eagles, although I don't know how often I'll be lucky enough to be there when they are dining on duck! That certainly brought them closer than normal. A couple large dogs came bounding down the beach at one time (could have clobbered their owner) and the eagle, though not really afraid, certainly didn't want to wait around for them. He (she?) tried and tried to fly off with the meal, but finally had to drop it. It came back later and got it again, though (that's when I got the two photos of it with the duck in talon).

Anchorage, AK(Zone 4a)

Very nice series Murmur. We have both been fortunate, in the Bald Eagle shot we have captured so far. Lets think positive and imagine the shots we'll be taking with another year or two of practice.

This photo was taken two days earlier at a different location (one where I spend many a lunch hour). I am learning Photoshop and so am either overdoing or underdoing the techniques. This particular branch that the eagle was perched on had a strange smaller branch growing from it. Unfortunately, it was placed so that it appeared to be a rather long appendage growing from the eagle himself. Although absolutely hilarious, I figured I'd best remove it for the post. So I fooled with the clone stamp trying to cover it up. Sure was funny, though - and just lent to the silliness of the look on his face here. Who said eagles are always majestic???!!!

Thumbnail by Murmur
Maysville, MO(Zone 5a)

Nice pictures Murmur. We have the BE's here, but they stay closer to the reserves and rivers for their food source. I have had one visit here on the farm a couple of years ago, and thought I was going to have a heart attack watching it stalk some Canadian geese. They truely are a magestic bird, always having that 'taking care of business' look. If you don't mind, what make and model camera do you use? Thanks Jay

Jay, I have a SonySLR100 - I purchased it in October and then bought the 75-300mm lens a bit later (it's a Tamron - I have photographer friends who recommended trying the Tamron lenses - less expensive than name brands, but built to fit). So far I am pleased as can be, but am new to any photography other than point and shoot type stuff so went by the suggestion of my son-in-law who is a big fan of Sony and has been for many years.

The Woodlands, TX(Zone 8b)

Love that first pic Murmur!

How big is that talon print?

Fly, we were kicking ourselves for not measuring it, or at least putting one of our feet next to it, but my guess is about five inches long.

Maysville, MO(Zone 5a)

Thanks for the info Murmur. It sure does a good job. Look forward to more! Jay

Vancleave, MS(Zone 8b)

OMG those pics are incredible. What a wonderful day out. Congrats!!!!!

Gladwin, MI(Zone 5a)

Great pictures. We have eagles here and have seen lots of posturing, hunting fish, ducks, swan babies, teaching young, but I have never gotten the pictures like this. What a wonderful day you had. We watch them through the spotting scope. I need to get the camera hooked up to that.
My closest encounter with an eagle was walking down the trail with the dog and an eagle swooped down low to land in a large pine right past me. As I looked up I saw those tallons ready for the landing. It was amazing. They are much bigger up close and personal!!! That is a scary sight for an animal or duck, probably the last thing they see! I have heard of eagles taking small lambs etc. I don't think they are too scared of dogs. Luckily my dog is really big. I tease company to mind their small dogs when they visit. They may be cute, but around here they could be food.

Tiller, OR(Zone 8a)

WOW!

Melbourne, FL

Neat shots. Seeing them with the prey they caught really brings into reality how large these birds are!

Greenville, SC(Zone 7a)

wow! Loved the photo's murmur!! How awsome it must be for you to actually see them close!!

Iris, my friend who was with me that day was laughing like crazy at me - I was literally beside myself with excitement! They were closer than what we might normally experience, but seeing them through the telephoto lens made me feel like I could reach out and touch them. (Probably not a good idea!!!)

Thanks to everyone for the kind words - an experience like that gets even better when it can be shared via photos!!!

Greenville, SC(Zone 7a)

Murmur, I bet!!! I'm just like you in that catorgory, I get totaly excited too when seeing a bird of prey, But a good view of an eagle would definately top them all!!

Northumberland, United Kingdom(Zone 9a)

[quote]How big is that talon print?[quote]

Looked up for the closely related European species White-tailed Eagle, the talons are 14cm long. Overall, White-tailed is just slightly larger than Bald Eagle.

Resin

Gladwin, MI(Zone 5a)

I am not sure, sounds right. I wasn't measuring when it came close to my head. I was ducking to be sure. They sure are powerful and have long claws. I think that is why they are so wonderful to see.
One time we had some company and I set the spotting scope on the deck for better veiwing of the eagle. He sat on a branch and you could see his white neck feathers ruffling. I remarked about this. A young guy in the group said "oh, I am sure it is not all that wonderful" He put his eye to the scope and said "You are right, it is that wonderful!" There is just something so majestic about the eagle.

Greenville, SC(Zone 7a)

Your so right cpartschick, A lot of birds ( to me)(especially hawks) have a majestic look about them, But, The Eagle tops them all!!

New Matamoras, OH(Zone 6a)

Murmur;,,

Nice shooten...... I get just as excited viewing you're photographs as you probably did taking them....You've been bit by the "Eagle Bug".... I know we'll be seeing alot more eagle posts from you, and looking forward to viewing them......

Happy Shooten...

.....Dave

Dave, you are so right - I am an official "Eagle Chaser!" Thanks so much for sharing my excitement!

Resin, thank you for the talon size info - I was pretty darn close, I think!!!

Cpartschick - that must have been a huge WOW to come that close to an eagle!!

Iris, you're right - hawks also have a majestic look . . . so "in charge!!"

Again, it's such a joy to be able to share the excitement with like minded folks!!!

DFW area, TX(Zone 7b)

Murmur, what magnificent images !!!

Thanks so much for posting these. WOW !

waukesha, WI(Zone 5a)

Fabulous photos!! Makes me want to fly!!!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.