Weird question can eggs do anything for the soil?

Mount Crawford, VA

Hi, we gather 18000 or so eggs a day and each and every day we throw away several dozen eggs that are cracks, or gooey messes and the such. We generally just put it under the slats to be composted with the manure later on, then they put it on the fields. But I was trying to think of something more creative to do with these eggs. What would it add to the soil besides add calcium.? I've been trying to think nutritionally what eggs would contain that would benefit the soil? Any one know? (I'm not very knowledgeable in composting and am trying to learn more.)

Lumberton, TX(Zone 8b)

If you put an egg in the hole when you plant roses, it not only supplies calcium, but when the egg finally explodes it provides sulphur which helps protect against fungi. I suppose if you put a cracked one in (as long as that membrane was still intact) it would work. Other than roses, I don't know.

Deep East Texas, TX(Zone 8a)

I have heard the same use for tomatoes... it is supposed to provide calcium and prevent blossom end rot. And crushed eggshell is supposed to be a deterent for slugs. I mix them in the soil for onions/garlic but don't have a good reason. I do know the little birdies love them too and when I had chickens, I would feed crushed shells to them too.

Kalispell, MT(Zone 4b)

Interesting question. First of all the more interesting thing would be to have a cracked egg fight to work out all the challenges in a marriage. LOL Albumen is the protien that is what the eggs are composed and that protein has many nitrogens, carbons, and sulfurs to provide the needed plant basics. But the envirnoment is prime to grow any kind of organism. I will need to think. Be back later.

Pioneer, CA

I crush my egg shells and feed them to my worms, I think the grit is good for them. Also when they eat the powdered shell there is probably a lot of calcium in th castings.

Pocahontas, TN(Zone 7b)

Off topic but ..... Why don't you feed them to the chickens? Somewhere in the back of my mind I remember visiting a bird breeder and he gathered the quail eggs, ran them through the blender and fed them to all the birds. I can't remember if he cooked them or not. If I had them I would cook them for my English Bulldogs, got any critters that could eat them or an animal breeder near by who would appreciate them.

Otherwise I don't know Jack or Jane

Judy

Peoria, IL

1800 eggs!, How many chickens do you have?

That is alot of chickens. If you are putting the eggs into the manure and its getting spread on to the fields, then the eggs are being used as feritilizer that way.

I do compost egg shells. And I would like to have a few chickens some day, but certainly not thousands of them. And If I had a few eggs to dispose of, I would not hesistate to throw them in my compost. But I would not compost a lot of eggs unless I had a huge compost pile...just for smell reasons... But I imagine with all those chickens, and all that manure, a smelly compost pile would not be that much more smell?

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.