February's Daily Weather, #II, Still anxious for Spring!

Fort Pierce, FL(Zone 10a)

Well, we have freeze warnings for tonight. Of course I have two flats of Impatience and one of Dusty Miller I just bought that will have to ride it out. I brought in the one Orchid I have that is blooming, that's all the room I have. (Please excuse the whining)

Soooooo, out come the Sherpa jackets for the Doxies, I am adding several layers and revving up the electric blanket and TomKitty is well dressed in his winter coat. Looking quite spiffy, I must say, as he is a Tuxedo cat. LOL

The coldest air will be between 4 and 6 AM and by 10AM it will be back up to 60º and it will all be over. I still feel blessed that our disasters come in the summer. I REALLY hate the cold so if you lose electric or a roof, at least you are warm!
Pati

L.A. (Canoga Park), CA(Zone 10a)

I'd lend you some warmth if I could.

Updated: 10:51 AM PST on February 16, 2007
Observed at: Van Nuys, California
Elevation: 797 ft / 243 m
79 °F / 26 °C
Scattered Clouds
Humidity: 17%
Dew Point: 31 °F / -1 °C
Wind: 12 mph / 18 km/h / 5.1 m/s from the NNW

Sparaxis is one of my favorites.

Thumbnail by Kelli

narcissus "Barrett Browning"

Thumbnail by Kelli

grapefruit - probably not quite ripe

Thumbnail by Kelli
(Zone 3b)

Kelli - those blossoms are beautiful..is that your grapefruit tree? excuse the silly question, but does it smell good when ripe?
Adina - very pretty there in the window; is it still blooming?
22*F; still looks like snow, but it's not snowing yet; snowing in other nearby areas.
Sunrise earlier this week.
Kiska

Thumbnail by kiska

That is my grapefruit tree. The fruits don't have any scent on the tree. Grapefruit flowers are maybe my favorite flower fragrance. The tree isn't blooming yet.

Windy, but since it is warm, I don't mind.

Updated: 1:51 PM PST on February 16, 2007
82 °F / 28 °C
Partly Cloudy
Humidity: 14%
Dew Point: 29 °F / -2 °C
Wind: 18 mph / 30 km/h / 8.2 m/s from the North
Wind Gust: 26 mph / 43 km/h / 11.8 m/s

This message was edited Feb 16, 2007 2:31 PM

Amelia Island, FL(Zone 9a)

Ric – Bonnie will be so warm she won’t want to return to KY until Spring!
Kiska – I don’t think it got as cold as predicted due to the cloud coverage. Tonight is a different matter. All plants have been covered/protected. This is supposed to be the coldest night of the season. I had to look hard to find the moose! Great picture! I love the mountain as well. So pretty with all the snow.
Pati – Can’t believe you have a freeze watch also! Wow.
Kelli – Pretty flowers. I love fresh fruit off the tree/vine.

50.2 °F / 10.1 °C
Partly Cloudy
Humidity: 26%
Dew Point: 17 °F / -8 °C
Wind: 7.0 mph / 11.3 km/h / 5.1 m/s from the NW
Wind Gust: 12.1 mph / 19.5 km/h
Pressure: 30.03 in / 1016.8 hPa
Visibility: 10.0 miles / 16.1 kilometers

Freeze warning in effect from 10 PM this evening to 9 am EST Saturday...
Tonight
Mostly clear and cold with a hard freeze inland. Low 26 coast. West winds 5 to 10 mph.

Robins in the neighbors lawn today.

Thumbnail by MySharona
Georgetown, SC(Zone 8a)

Kiska: Talk about your "purple mountains majesty"!

Sharon: We also didn't get as cold as predicted last night. Tonight s'posed to be round 22 though per w'underground, but weather.com says 26. Either way is too cold for me. (Boooo!) I've covered the most tender plants; the others will have to fend for themselves! :) For us, the coldest stuff should be finished by Monday. Izzat what they're sayin' in FLA?

Right now, 42, clear, and breezy.

Deb

Rocky Mount, VA(Zone 7a)

28° calm, and almost, almost dark.

Deb - it will be Tuesday for us, but who knows...things could always change LOL!

Millersburg, PA(Zone 6b)

Temp is now 20 degrees and windy. I replowed the driveway but it is blown completely shut again. Local news shows the parking lot on Rt. 81 running north and south through Pa. It has been closed since Wednesday morning. The National Guard has brought in tanker trucks to refuel cars and tractor trailers who have used up all their fuel trying to keep warm in the sub zero wind chill. National Guards also provided meals ready to eat and water and diapers. Most people have been sitting in traffic for 27 hours. The state is running their heaviest equipment with chains to try to break up the 4 inch thick ice. Interstate 80 is also closed running east to west. As is Interstate 78 and also the Pa. Turnpike for most of the day.

No one knows why the State Police did not block the on-ramps to these roads when they began to pile up. No one knows why PennDot was unable to keep up with the ice accumulations. Gov. Rendell is hopping mad. Not only does Pa. have some of the worst maintained roads in the east - they also can't keep them clear.

So.App.Mtns., United States(Zone 5b)

Sounds like a scary mess that could and should have been avoided, Seeds.

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

Yikes! My parents are in Philadelphia right now, but are planning on driving back to Ohio tomorrow. I hope they get 76 cleared before then.

Moab, UT(Zone 6b)

Golly Marylyn, maybe it would be a better idea to stay off the roads one more day. Not much point in getting into dangerous situation. And sitting in your car when it's that cold can BE dangerous.

Lurking, watching all the pictures ~ having boring weather days and boring winter life. nothing to report from here.
Waving at you all. Blooms

Taylor Creek, FL(Zone 10a)

Marylyn if there is any way possible please ask your folks not to get in the fray.
Sidney

Rocky Mount, VA(Zone 7a)

cold, dark, and I am ready to move somewheres south, at least I am not snowed/iced in. you'se folks up north be careful please.

Rocky Mount, VA(Zone 7a)

Ok the sun is out, it is bright here, but still cold. judging from the view of the trees the wind is not blowing, I may survive till spring starts next month - however I have sweet peas that have decided they need to occupie my kitchen floor and most other available spaces they have access too. Have a most excellect day - my garden friends!

I gotta go fix a puter:)

Taylor Creek, FL(Zone 10a)

Well Burrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr! I know Kiska, Rann, Ric, and Seeds are LOL.. But we did get down to 30º here on my two close local WU reports, actually one was 31.6 from 5:50 to 7:00 and the other was 30.2 from 6:54, but back to 32 at 7:39. I haven't ventured out to view my own yard. I was advised to
cover my little seed pod and did. I'll get out and unwrap that in a bit. Here's a great UNF article on cold protection for us down here. http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/MG025
Edited to get that link right.
Sidney

This message was edited Feb 17, 2007 10:10 PM

Marylyn - Hope you talked your parents into staying off the highway today. No need to put themselves in such a dangerous position.
I woke up around 3:00 and looked outside and there was frost. Didn't venture out to take a picture though - too cold. It was 27.6* at 6:50am.

Freeze watch in effect from late Sunday night through Monday morning...
Today
Mostly sunny. High 54. West winds increasing to 10 to 15 mph in the afternoon.

41.0 °F / 5.0 °C
Clear
Humidity: 40%
Dew Point: 18 °F / -8 °C
Wind: 5.0 mph / 8.0 km/h / 1.5 m/s from the NW
Wind Gust: 7.8 mph / 12.6 km/h
Pressure: 30.15 in / 1020.9 hPa
Windchill: 38 °F / 3 °C
Visibility: 10.0 miles / 16.1 kilometers
UV: 2 out of 16

Just took this...

Thumbnail by MySharona
Rocky Mount, VA(Zone 7a)

Sharon - I am everyday at 3:00 am and asleep early (keeps me from getting into trouble) - sunny & bright.

Flora, IN(Zone 5a)

Snow again 2''+ and still coming down at least its warmer 21 above,I guess not a bad trade off ,but im getting tired of shoveling.
kiska- as for school so far no make-up days. Even if they do my youngest is a senior and once they set graduation they can't change the date.

Rocky Mount, VA(Zone 7a)

I set a date once and she refused to change it - hence - wife 3.

This message was edited Feb 17, 2007 10:52 AM

Fort Pierce, FL(Zone 10a)

Got up at 4:30 AM to check the temp and it was 30º. I don't know how long it held, or if it went lower, because I turned up the elec blanket a couple of notches and went back to bed. One of the drawbacks of living in South Florida is not having heat in your house, but then you only need it a few days a year.

When I got up it was "Dyson BRIGHT" and I checked out the plants. Of course I won't know until the sun warms them what damage was done, but my Caladiums had just laid down, poor things.

High today will be 64º , and tonight will be 42º (so they say), so I guess the worst is over.
Pati

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

LOL dyson!

Well we awoke to 2" more new snow.
We'll maybe get 2 more inches during the day.
The roads are in pretty good shape as there was so much salt down anyway.
We went downtown this morning w/ no problems.

Here's a shot of the Ohio River.
It is starting to form ice... this hasn't happened in years
Also links to shots of the ice.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/rnranimals/sets/72157594538179342/

http://www.flickr.com/photos/rnranimals/sets/72157594539880933/

Currently 28° looking still at 50° by next Friday!
Let the flooding begin!

Ric

Thumbnail by henryr10
Rocky Mount, VA(Zone 7a)

Ric - nice to see a pic of "the mighty Ohio", think I worded that right? - at this point i'm glad to be a little warmer, even if not much.

Georgetown, SC(Zone 8a)

We hit a low of 24* overnight! A definitely frosty mornin'.
Currently 52* and bright bright bright!

2 more nights at or below freezing is predicted for us, then - they say - up to NORMAL for at least the next 10 days!!
Normal here would be highs in the 60s and lows around 40. Yahoo!! Can't wait.

I know you folks up in the snowy areas are frostbitten and we seem like such whiners down here. Guess it's all in what you're accustomed to. I ain't accustomed to no 24 degrees!! :)

This morning's sky...

Deb

Thumbnail by DebinSC
Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

Whata whiner!
That's about our current temp Deb....
We're grilling out and sitting by the Pond! NOT!

Ric

30ºF and light snow falling here. Low tonight of 18º and low tomorrow night of 12º. Not much snow accumulation is expected. BUT, by Tuesday we should start to warm up above freezing!

Moab, UT(Zone 6b)

Ric, you may not be, but Kiska and family would be. Positively balmy weather.
Here it LQQKs like spring out there. BRIGHT sunshine and 49* after a 28* low.
No complaints, it is after all mid-February which is always the coldest month. We will have spring next month and all this will be quickly forgotten ~except for those with trees and bushes to take care of after all this ice.

Darius, watching the WC this morning I saw you were getting snow you and Lisa both. DRAT
Also heard them reccommending folks stay off that stretch of I-40. Not that people would listen to that warning, witness the folks in Pennsylvania. Why do folks think that they are immune to MaNature?

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

Mom and Dad are on their way home right now. Dad says that the tollroad is clear right now and everything is going fine. They are about 5 hours from home right now. Hopefully they will get home before this next blast gets that far east. They're suppose to get 1-2 inches of snow before tomorrow morning.

Weather at their home right now..
Current Conditions
Observation for Zanesville, OH (they actually live near Beverly, not Zanesville, but that's the closest weather place...) as of 3:11pm EST (20 min ago)
Temperature 27 °F -3 °C
Dew Point 23 °F -5 °C
Humidity 86%
Pressure 29.71 in 1006 mb
Wind Speed 7 MPH 6 kts
Wind Dir SSW 210°
Ceiling 2400 ft 732 m
Visibility 2 mi 3.2 km
Wind Chill 19 °F -7 °C
Current Conditions Light Snow, Mist
Remarks Trace precipitation last hour.
6 hour min temperature ending 12:53pm EST : 10.9°F / -11.7°C

Ric – We are grilling steaks and baked potatoes tonight! Doesn’t matter how cold we get – it doesn’t stop us. Of course we don’t have 300’ (slight exaggeration!) of snow and ice.
Marylyn - hope your parents make it home before the next freeze.

It turned out to be a really nice day - a little chilly in the shade and clear skies.

This message was edited Feb 17, 2007 6:28 PM

Thumbnail by MySharona

So far my forecast 1" of snow is about 3" or more and it's supposed to continue to snow tonight, tomorrow and tomorrow night!

The wind kept it warm all night. I wore my summer pajamas and slept with the window open and took off half the covers. Today I wore shorts for the first time in months.

Updated: 2:51 PM PST on February 17, 2007
83 °F / 28 °C
Mostly Cloudy
Humidity: 15%
Dew Point: 31 °F / -1 °C
Wind: 9 mph / 15 km/h / 4.1 m/s from the West

Today we went hiking in the Santa Monica Mountains.

Thumbnail by Kelli

The wildflowers in the Santa Monica Mountains are just getting started. This is prickly phlox...

Thumbnail by Kelli

...and this is one of the many species of ceanothus. Both prickly phlox and ceanothus are shrubs and are not as dependant on rainfall for blooming as annuals are.

Thumbnail by Kelli
Flora, IN(Zone 5a)

WOW Beautifull !! Can't wait till spring Thanks for the photos. Martha Stewart gardening issue came and it has article on spring ephemerals,made me wonder if anyone here hunts moshrooms?

KC Metro area, MO(Zone 6a)

It warmed up today though I haven't been out there to see. I think it got above freezing but there was alot of wind so nothing thawed. Tomorrow I am hoping it will warm up because I have to go hiking again at work. As long as there is no wind we should be ok. I am also hoping I feel better. I have a sore throat and can't talk very well. Gonna take Nyquil and it better clear it up before I get really grouchy. I hate being sick. Can't ya tell? LOL

Rocky Mount, VA(Zone 7a)

talked to mom, (was worried I had not heard from her) sis is in from Alaska at my other sisters will be in town this weekend, all is well. it is cold for me here.

(Zone 3b)

Lots of catching up to do - loved seeing wildflowers, Kelli -
5:15pm, sunny blue sky - 20*F And, there'll be a fire in a few minutes out on the deck in the chimera...not grilling, though...
Ric - the Ohio River is beautiful - what a gorgeous shade of blue, and a bit ice really makes a great contrast..
Darius with some snow, too..seems like snowfall all across that area.
Blooms, you never have boring weather photo - I love seeing the countryside there.
patti - temp looks good there, but quite a wide range.
Sugarweed - 30*F is not good for plants; hope all's well.
MySharona - grilling sounds good - I've never done potatoes on the grill, how long does it take?
Marylyn_TX - hope your family made it home ok...such a worry..
pepper23 - get well soon....can't have you grouchy :)
Dyson - glad your sister made it down - our DD and SIL just returned from a week in Las Vegas and loved the getaway...all flights went well, so that helps.
gardengus - we don't hunt mushrooms; one bad mistake about 28 years ago put an end to the "do it yourself" mushrooms..Fortunately, we caught the mistake before eating them...
DebinSC - love the pure blue against the trees...
Grandkids trying to break the ice underneath the Spruce tree a few days ago.
Kiska

Thumbnail by kiska
Millersburg, PA(Zone 6b)

Finally all roads are open here in Pa. But the speed limit on I-81 and I-80 and I-78 is 45 MPH.

It got warm here today - 31 degrees. I finally gave the drifted driveway another snow blower job and was able to get my truck out on the highway. giggle - felt so good!. Driveway was pared down to the black macadam. When I looked out the window at 7:30 I saw it turned white again. Hope it doesn't drift shut again. I am actually starting to enjoy this daily workout - just like going to the gym except the snow stings your face. LOL

It is supposed to warm up this next week.

Keep warm all.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.