February's Daily Weather, #II, Still anxious for Spring!

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

Just popped in..
I'll go back and check out all the Posts and Shots.

How's this for a WEIRD radar shot?
Think we don't get a micro-climate here.......
Green is rain, Pink mix, Blue Snow.
Currently 34°

Ric

Thumbnail by henryr10
Amelia Island, FL(Zone 9a)

I hope everyone in the Northeast and Midwest are staying safe and warm. I am also sending warm thoughts your way.
Dyson - I hope your back gets better soon.
Ric - looks like you're pretty much stuck in the middle of things. Stay warm...

Warm sunrise this morning...sending warmth your way...

Thumbnail by MySharona
Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

Kiska, that is so sad! Is he big enough to survive on his own? Poor baby.

Sharon, what is a greenway, and I wish I had one. Love the sphagnum!

Dyson, ''real'', as in sarcasm? I wish I could find real mercury. Nothing else is as accurate. DH fell on his tailbone scooping snow today. Hope your back is mending.

Aww Kiska, he's still sad.

Sharon, the shady road looks like a nice walk to the field.

Ric, your micro climate is funny. Usually we end up with a hole over us and everyone around gets the weather. Especially when it rains.

Sharon, I'm thinking warmth!

Our storm turned out to be nothing more than a few inches of snow with a little blowing. It didn't start at 6:00 pm, and at 6:00 am it hadn't amounted to much. It is still snowing and blowing. The flakes have gotten a little bigger and it's 23*.

Hope Mornin_Gayle is staying warm.

Rocky Mount, VA(Zone 7a)

Ok put the old-fashioned temperature indicating device in a kitchen window between the screen and storm window layer. It is reading 32°(F) the radio unit on the porch is reading 41.0°(F) and the radio unit under the house at the water inlet point is reading 39°(F)

Now I'm gonna have to disassemble the radio units and try to calibrate them, but not while it is this cold.

Georgetown, SC(Zone 8a)

One of my meyer lemons has flower buds....so I took a photo to remember them by, since they'll probably be gone after the predicted low of 21 Thurs and Fri nights! I also found this morning that my gardenia is budding and even my Louisiana iris have buds; gingers are sprouting! Yikes!

Trying to think positive tho, as the weather guy is often mistaken and today it's upper 60s. And we're getting the rain they predicted...finally!

I will keep sending warm vibes north and northwest, as long as I can sustain! :)

Deb

Thumbnail by DebinSC
Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

The micro climate got even weirder....

We have pure rain now (that's green) all around is ice and sleet or ice (the pink) the blue or white is snow.

Kiska how big is that orphan?
He looks pretty well developed. Are there wolves anywhere near you?
Ric

Thumbnail by henryr10
Georgetown, SC(Zone 8a)

Ric, that is so bizarre, but it makes sense I guess since the city is probably warmer than the surrounding area. All the concrete and pavement and cars and so forth. Hmmm?
Deb

Moab, UT(Zone 6b)

Ric, same sort of magic circle occurs over my section of the canyons. The ground warmth makes that big a difference. And I think it's already noted that the amount of concrete and human activity and residual pollution can keep an area warmer than its surroundings.

This morning we have a cloud laying in our valley, can't tell what the sky might be doing, can hardly see the nearby canyon walls. Low in my backyard this morning was 38*F and right now it's 43*F with 81% humidity. I see the official rain gauge is measuring point oh one [.01in] inch on the precip - must be measuring the mist the cloud is laying on things. It isn't actually raining. LOL

This mid country storm is really going to drop a lot of snow. Weather Channel is my background today. ~Blooms

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

We lucked out BIG TIME!
60 Miles north of us is a Blizzard Warning.
55 Miles Heavy Snow Warning 10-16"
40 8" of snow has already fallen and it's 24°
20 Miles it's 2" of Ice.
All around us is ice and sleet.
.We are actually 10 miles from downtown. I'd say it's a River affect.
The air is getting heated up slightly and pouring over us.
Then cooling down as the River bends South again so everything due East of us is getting the colder air.
It's just pure rain here now and 36° in the yard but 33° at the weather station 2 miles due West.

This was taken this morning.
Ric

Thumbnail by henryr10
(Zone 3b)

1pm, 13*F, mostly cloudy...
Little moose info: he's still in the area today. His mother was not the one that was in our carport...He is probably 1 1/2 years, and is about 1/3 size of full grown. My daughter saw him near the main road, at the bottom of the hill in photo. Hopefully he'll wander back up our road, where there's much less traffic.
Ric - nice snowfall there to freshen things up. Glad you didn't get the ice.
MySharona - such pretty sky there - I really like the shadows the trees cast near the ballfields.
Sugarweed, how is the work coming along? Anxious to see it...Frank is your DH? Happy belated birthday to him.
DebinSC- what a beautiful pink blossom -
bp, maybe by now, your time, you've had more snow if the flakes were getting larger.
Kiska

Thumbnail by kiska
Balotesti, Romania(Zone 5a)

Deep fog this morning in Bucharest !
Adina

Thumbnail by adinamiti

This was taken an hour before the fog appeared !

Thumbnail by adinamiti

The sunrise !

Thumbnail by adinamiti
Alexandria, IN(Zone 6a)

15° and a blizzard. It is hard to tell how much snow so far...probably 14 inches..........better than the ice storm two years ago.

Flora, IN(Zone 5a)

I didn't get lost just took a long time to read all and the power kept going on and off. Blizzard here too looks like8-9''new snow drifting over my knees in many places.

(Zone 3b)

2:40pm, sun's struggling to break through the clouds, 13*F; not bad w/out wind. Sunset at 5:35pm, gain of 5m 43 secs.
Gardengus and Indy, take care out there. Hope the power doesn't go out for too long..
Kiska

Thumbnail by kiska
Flora, IN(Zone 5a)

What great photos you all have , my family is tired of me saying ''come here look at this''. For My Sharona I know Baxter needs water ,but if you don't want him in yours a small slice of lemon will do the trick. Ihave 6 cats and thats the only way I get tongue free water

BP – Egans Creek Greenway is a protected area on the island and a sanctuary for local wildlife. I go there to walk or ride my bike as often as possible. It’s very peaceful. People whisper or speak in low tones to not disturb any of the wildlife they may see. I’ve attached a link for you. Hope your DH is okay after his fall.

http://www.fernandinabeachfl.org/additionalinfo/eganscreek.html

Kiska - I hope baby moose will be okay. Poor thing out on his own.
Deb – pretty pic of the bud! Sounds like Spring is around the corner, but **Not**!
Ric – I love that picture…what is the green? Very pretty!
Adina – beautiful red in the sunrise! We get "pea soup" fog as well. Nasty to drive in.
Gardengus and Indy – Stay warm and take care. I hope your power doesn’t fail. Do you have generators?
Gardengus – I never thought about the lemon (slap on forehead)! Thanks! We have 5 cats and a dog that thinks she’s a cat.

66.2 °F / 19 °C
Mostly Cloudy
Humidity: 82%
Dew Point: 61 °F / 16 °C
Wind: 0.0 mph / 0 km/h
Wind Gust: 0.0 mph / 0 km/h
Pressure: 29.71 in / 1006.0 hPa (Falling)
Visibility: 10.0 miles / 16.1 kilometers

Severe Thunderstorm Watch 23 in effect until 9 PM EST this evening.
Tonight
Showers and thunderstorms this evening...then partly cloudy after midnight. Some thunderstorms may be severe with large hail and damaging winds. Locally heavy rainfall possible this evening. Lows in the mid 50s. Southwest winds 10 to 15 mph. Chance of rain 90 percent.

sunrise today

Thumbnail by MySharona
Alexandria, IN(Zone 6a)

Sharon,
I don't have a generator. A neighbor does. for his ...and a wood burning stove too!! Generators can help with a fridge or freezer, water pump, and lights, but I question it's help for electric heating. I do have a keresone heater for power outs and a small propane heater. Gasoline generators have to be outside and gassed up frequently and able to start up.

When we had a bad ice storm, I did not open the freezers and things kept ok.

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

The drooping green thing is our Yellow Groove Bamboo and the Nigra.
I'm hoping they will pop right back up after the ice melts.
It takes a lot of weight to bend Bamboo.

I had to shut down this afternoon also.
Our power was fluxuating pretty wildly w/ all the ice on the lines.
Everything seems to have leveled out now.
That may soon change though.
The temps are dropping into the low 20's by morning w/ some serious winds developing.
That should start dropping some limbs and wires....

Ric

Millersburg, PA(Zone 6b)

Ric, we have the snow - all day - and 21 degrees right now. Supposed to have sleet and freezing rain all night until Wed morning, then more snow during the day Wed. with high winds.

I may have a day of snow blowing and reading books tomorrow LOL. Oh well, it is winter.

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

Looks like your getting what we're now just about out of se_eds.
Freezing rain now and the temps have dropped 12 degrees since 5 o'clock.
Were at 23 now...
Power is starting to get a little wonkie too w/ all this ice.
Ric

Taylor Creek, FL(Zone 10a)

Well, there's a lot of hot air in Cinncinati I believe Ric. LOL
Adina love your pictures as I do everyone's.
Kiska maybe 1&1/2 is old enough. Should I send willow seedlings?
We had a 'cloud over' and it started raining and then "Behold", the skies cleared and sun came right back out.
Frank is actually my XDH. We've been happily divorced for almost 35 years and he has had his own room in my house here in Jax for the last 6 years. We are great friends and our only son who will be 39 next month is living with us too.
Work is coming along real nicely. Tomorrow I haul a great deal of stuff to the curb. and then I also am having an instant Garage put up in the next two weeks. I have to lay-out the door way for them on my driveway with "marks-a-lot" in the morning.
I'm still trying to get out of town to my real job as a boilermaker.
Not looking forward to snow in Ohio.
Sidney

(Zone 3b)

It's 6pm here, so by now, it's late back there, hope all's ok..heard on the news about the high winds in some areas.
It's 15*F, calm and mostly cloudy.
Just read your post Sidney - that's a pretty cool arrangement - whatever works, works... :) An "instant" garage sounds like a good way to go, too.
At the rate the moose are going through the willows this winter, I might just need starts..now, there's a momma and her twins, last spring babies, in the neighbor's yard...wouldn't it be great if the orphan could tag along w/them..
This is photo of what's to come in a few months - greenery - - -
Kiska

Thumbnail by kiska

Again – hoping everyone has made it through the winter storm/blizzard. We talked to a friend in Philly last night – he is very bummed out that he’s “there” and we’re “here”!
Ric – the bamboo is so pretty, hope it makes it thru the freeze. DH keeps trying to grow some, but all it looks like is dead corn plants! LOL!!
Sidney – when do you leave for Ohio? Sounds like you and Frank have worked through to a great relationship! I agree with Kiska – whatever works…works! We need to look into getting an instant garage.
Kiska – That’s a beautiful valley.

Lake Wind Advisory in effect from 10 am this morning to 6 PM EST this afternoon...
Freeze watch in effect from late Thursday night through Friday morning...
Today
Mostly cloudy in the morning then becoming partly cloudy. Windy and cooler. High 63. West winds increasing to 20 mph with gusts to 30 mph.

64.2 °F / 17 °C
Mostly Cloudy
Humidity: 89%
Dew Point: 62 °F / 16 °C
Wind: 5.0 mph / 8 km/h from the West
Wind Gust: 11.2 mph / 18 km/h
Pressure: 29.68 in / 1005.0 hPa
Visibility: 10.0 miles / 16.1 kilometers
UV: 0 out of 16
Clouds: Mostly Cloudy 2300 ft / 701 m
(Above Ground Level)

Sunset last night

Thumbnail by MySharona

Almost forgot!

Happy Valentines Day!!

Thumbnail by MySharona
Rocky Mount, VA(Zone 7a)

32° window thingy, 41.2° porch thingy, 42.4° wip thingy, dark, Happy Valentine's Day.

KC Metro area, MO(Zone 6a)

Hi guys!! We got hit by the storm too yesterday. The actual snow part happened real early in the morning then after that we had to deal with blowing snow. We lost power at work yesterday for a few hours so most of the few people still there left and went home. I stayed and shoveled snow til late morning. We had to give up on shoveling the snow cause the wind was blowing it so hard that it was creating drifts as soon as you cleaned up that spot and the dritfts were even higher than what you were shoveling. It was and still is a mess. After lunch I tried to go to one of our buildings and didn't realize that a curve had developed more ice on it and went off the road. I was on our dam road and if i had gone north I would have been in the lake. Luckily I went south and was on land. I couldn't get out even with the 4x4 so I had to walk back up and get the guys. They came out a hour or so later and put sand down and pulled my truck out. No damage or anything cause I just basically got stuck on a hill.

Gamleby, Sweden(Zone 7a)

pepper, sorry that you drove off the road but glad that you didnt end up taking an unwanted winterdip.
Gorgeous pictures everyone

Foggy weather here, but the snow is staying, grrr
35F
Janett, who desperatly long for spring

Pepper - So lucky you went South...be careful...
Janett - hang on - Spring is coming!
Dyson - How is your back? Are you feeling better?
Rann - Where are you?!

Thumbnail by MySharona
Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

Well my Battery Backup got a good workout last evening.
There are a few limbs down and everything has a nice coating of ice. (which actually helps to insulate to the plants it doesn't break. LOL!)

Woke up to this notice...the CAPS are their's)

THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN WILMINGTON HAS CANCELLED THE
WINTER STORM WARNING. ALTHOUGH THE BULK OF THE ACCUMULATING SNOW
HAS ENDED...ICE ACCUMULATIONS AND GUSTY WINDS THIS MORNING WILL
CAUSE TREE LIMBS TO BREAK OFF. POWER LINES MAY ALSO BE DOWN IN
SPOTS. ALSO...COLD TEMPERATURES WILL COMBINE WITH THE WINDS TO
PRODUCE WIND CHILLS BELOW ZERO AT TIMES.

Currently it's 16° and dead calm.

Ric

Savannah, MO(Zone 5b)

HAPPY VALENTINES DAY to all from Cuckoo. The big storm there calling the Valentines Day Storm hitting the east today was in the midwest a few days ago with rain that froze followed by about 4 to 6 inches of blowing snow. Today is the second day of no classes for many students here. It's sunny but frigid with low temp. right at zero this morning and a wind chill at -13F below. The kids could'nt go to school and exchange valentines today like they wanted to do. Main roads are cleared bur rural roads have some drifting from the winds.
Made lots of delicious blackberry jelly yesterday then the kids and I went to help with a large local valentines supper.Sure ready for this weather to moderate which it usually does in March. Today I have a little cabin fever so I will likely get out later today if not just to clear the sidewalk,deck, and driveway. Stay snug as a bug in a rug everyone.
Cuckoo

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

We were just grazed by the Storm.
52,000 Homes were and many remain w/o power here in SW OH.
Currently it's 18° and calm.

I went out and took some pictures.
It sounded like frying steak as the light breeze rattled the ice in the trees.
It's a bitter cold out there now w/ flurries and really fast moving clouds.
Strangely it's almost calm at ground level.
I'm hoping the Sun comes back out so I can get some more pictures before the ice melts.
Also hoping it melts a bit off the stuff off my car.
There's an inch of ice packed on there, I don't feel like having to chip my way in........... lol

Here's the Bamboo this morning.
Ric

Thumbnail by henryr10
Georgetown, SC(Zone 8a)

Ric: When it ices here, I'm always "conflicted" , because it's do beautiful on the branches and leaves, but so damaging. Do take more pics if you get the chance!

Everyone experiencing the "Valentine Blizzard": Stay snug (as Cuckoo said) and safe!

I won't tell you about our weather today. It wouldn't be kind.
I'll show you this, though - mini gardenia has buds!

Deb :)

Thumbnail by DebinSC
Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

All of you in the cold and ice, please be careful!!! It's cold enough here, but at least it isn't icy. It's only going to get a couple of degrees warmer today. We're having chili tonight. It isn't very romantic, but at least it is warm! LOL

Observation for Houston, TX (KSGR) as of 10:21am CST (7 min ago)
Temperature 39 °F 4 °C
Dew Point 26 °F -3 °C
Humidity 60%
Pressure 30.21 in 1023 mb
Wind Speed 16 MPH 14 kts
Wind Dir NNE 20°
Ceiling 11000 ft 3353 m
Visibility 10 mi 16.1 km
Wind Chill 30 °F -1 °C
Current Conditions Mostly Cloudy
6 hour min temperature ending 5:53am CST : 34.0°F / 1.1°C

Flora, IN(Zone 5a)

The snow stopped sometime overnight cant tell how much we got .At least12'' but everywhere I walked it was over my knees. Blowing and drifting made the rural roads impassible this AM.and everything north of Indy declared snow emergency till noon.

18 above with sun
Cinda

Cincinnati, OH(Zone 6b)

Be safe Cinda!
I was walking around on a 1" crust so while slippery there was no snow....

Ric

Thumbnail by henryr10
Rocky Mount, VA(Zone 7a)

32° - Window, 35.4° WIP, 41.2° porch, sunny, bright, and the wind is howling.

Ric - I saw some power co trucks from North Carolina heading your direction on US 29 when I was coming home from Danville today.

I Have a chiropractor appointment in an hour.

Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

I lost all my answers opening up the last picture. Grrrrr!

Happy Valentines Day!

We were lucky on the storm. 4'' of snow, it blew around and wasn't very cold. I shoveled out a new neighbor today. She moved in a month or so ago and has 3 kids. Seems like a nice lady. It felt good to get out.

Everyone had neat pictures as usual!

16*, 1 1/2 hours of daylight left, and had sun all day!

(Zone 3b)

wow - what a storm down there - ice-encrusted branches are beautiful, but, it's so damaging..
It's 1:15pm, gray, cloudy, but is up to 25*F, so if it snows, it'll be nice large flakes.
I love the blossom, DebinSC...
Loved seeing all the posts/photos; almost to leave again to start picking up the Gkids after school, so will cut this short.
The little moose is wandering around near our driveway today...so far, so good, the traffic was slowing for him.
Sunrise this morning at 9:30am; plowing the airport runway...
Kiska

Thumbnail by kiska

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.