February's Daily Weather, #II, Still anxious for Spring!

Taylor Creek, FL(Zone 10a)

I want to thank Sharon for the great sky picture that graces this first post.
Here in Jax it's
55.9 °F / 13.3 °C
Mostly Cloudy
Humidity: 28%
Dew Point: 23 °F / -5 °C
Wind: 0.0 mph / 0 km/h
Wind Gust: 3.6 mph / 5 km/h
Please come by and post often here.
Sidney

Thumbnail by sugarweed
Fort Pierce, FL(Zone 10a)

Thanks Sugar. A newbie came on board just before we changed over. Don't want her to get lost in the shuffle, so here's her post. Welcome Cinda!
Pati

http://davesgarden.com/forums/p.php?pid=3177485

PS Thanks Darius, you always seem to turn up when needed!

This message was edited Feb 11, 2007 11:34 AM

Moose Jaw, SK(Zone 3b)

Along with the greenhouse effect we also have this ......

Oilsands Pollution Worries Saskatchewan
Canadian Press
Published: Tuesday, October 10, 2006

EDMONTON (CP) -- Alberta and Saskatchewan have begun trying to figure out how to deal with increased pollution drifting over the boundary between them from rapidly expanding oilsands projects.

"We already know that the oilsands do have quite a bit of emissions associated with the projects," said Paul James of Saskatchewan's Environment Department.

"We are receiving some acidic deposition."

Consequently, bureaucrats from both provinces have blown the dust off a 2002 agreement on managing transboundary environmental effects, meeting several times this year after a long period of quiet.

"I think Alberta's announcements with respect to the oilsands kind of re-energized things," James said. "With the proposed expansions, we agreed it needed a more serious look."

Figures released last month showed that acid rain, once considered a problem only in the eastern provinces, has begun damaging soils and lakes in Manitoba and Saskatchewan.

Already, two per cent of the land tested in Saskatchewan has absorbed acid precipitation exceeding its critical load, the maximum amount of acid a given area of land can tolerate before plant and animal life begins to suffer. Most of that land was in the northern forested section of the province, directly east and in the path of prevailing winds blowing from the oilsands region.

With $94 billion of oilsands expansion projects on the books, officials in both provinces are concerned about increasing emissions of acid rain-causing chemicals.

"The environment doesn't end at the border," said Randall Barrett of Alberta Environment.

Acid rain is formed primarily by emissions of sulphur dioxide and various nitrogen oxides.

Sulphur dioxide is increasingly being controlled through smokestack scrubbers.

But nitrogen oxides, which come from many smaller emitters such as trucks, are harder to clean up.

They are also expected to increase faster because new projects use giant trucks in their mining process.

Oilsands mines emitted 50 tonnes of nitrogen oxides per day in 1990. That level had grown to 150 tonnes per day by 2003 and was expected to reach 398 tonnes per day by the end of this year.

If all planned projects are built, the oilsands could be spewing 538 tonnes of nitrogen oxides per day in the future.

About 70 per cent of such emissions eventually blow into Saskatchewan, James said.

"It has the potential to be quite serious in terms of acidifying lakes and ecosystems associated with lakes."

It could also affect the productivity of forests in Saskatchewan's logging industry, he said.

Companies are now being asked to consider Saskatchewan in their environmental assessments. As well, monitoring of acid deposition is expected to increase in Saskatchewan, with Alberta officials providing expertise.

No wind to push it on so the humidity is on the rise again....
7 °F / -14 °C
N/A
Humidity: 80%
Dew Point: 2 °F / -17 °C

Rocky Mount, VA(Zone 7a)

52.7°(F) porch, 40.8°(F) WIP.

Hurt my back loading bags of compost into the wifes jetta for the garden, carefull out there folks!

L.A. (Canoga Park), CA(Zone 10a)

We got 0.4 inches of rain. It all happened overnight so we didn't get to see any of it.

Updated: 9:51 AM PST on February 11, 2007
Observed at: Van Nuys, California
Elevation: 797 ft / 243 m
59 °F / 15 °C
Mostly Cloudy
Humidity: 78%
Dew Point: 52 °F / 11 °C
Wind: 6 mph / 9 km/h / 2.6 m/s from the West

Springboro, PA(Zone 5a)

Well......It's now a balmy 19º here today. Mostly cloudy with a peek of sun every now and then. The extended forecast calls for the temp to rise above freezing a week from next Tuesday. Something to look forward to!

Welcome Cinda........You will find this a very friendly (and busy) forum.

Dyson.......hope the back is feeling better.

Kelli.......that's a decent amount of rainfall. Hopefully it will help a bit.

Photo: A winter sunset reflects in the window of an old abandoned house.

CircleBack

This message was edited Feb 11, 2007 1:26 PM

Thumbnail by Early_Bloomer
Moab, UT(Zone 6b)

Darius, thanks for leading us over here. It's amazing how warm 40-50 can feel after below freezing.
Sharon, great sky pic for our opener and the bird in the bayou pic makes me want to be walking with you.
EB, now that's a sunset... and a great way to frame it.

Dyson, it's 'lift with your legs' and no reaching way out with a load in your arms. Hope the back gets feeling better really quick. And give it a rest. Rest the muscle you hurt and it gets better faster.

Lilypon, I hope they can come up with solutions. It is sad how many of the little lakes in the Adirondacks of NY [where I used to live] are vacant of all life - totally killed by the acid rain. I watched an Osprey sitting in a snag by one of them, he was waiting for a fish to swim by and it wasn't gonna happen. I often wondered where he went, or if he had no place to go other than the one little lake he'd always lived on.

Welcome Cinda, keep us posted on your weather situation and how it affects your gardening.

Kelli, a few drops from your shower got to us this morning. Only a few drops tho, didn't even fill in the spaces between the drops. A few more are scheduled for some time this afternoon and our high and present temp 54* ~Blooms

KC Metro area, MO(Zone 6a)

Nice and sunny here and supposed to get to 38*. The windchill is still pretty low though because none of the ice is melting here.

(Zone 3b)

welcome,Cinda -
It's 11:30am, 18*F, sun trying very hard to get through the fog and, it's looks as if it will succeed..this morning at 8am, it was "dim", so dark-time is really giving way to the longer days..
Dyson had bright earlier - things really are changing...hope your back gets better.
MySharona - your photo is great - it even looks hot there..the bird and the tall grasses in the background give it so much depth and info. How's Baxter? better?
E_B- fantastic color in that sunset..
Kelli - glad there's some rainfall; hopefully more to come before summer.
Blooms- will there be wildflowers come spring? I'm at a loss as to what to expect in your area and am anxious to see springtime photos..
pepper23- 38* is good winter temp;.as long as there's not too much wind.
Knik Glacier - 20miles from Palmer.
Kiska

Thumbnail by kiska
Rocky Mount, VA(Zone 7a)

Broke 50°, got the kitchen table overloaded w/veggie starts don't have much ground does anyone need some? (veggie starts).

Amelia Island, FL(Zone 9a)

Sidney – glad you like the picture! Jeff said to tell you “Hi” and we hope you can stop by when you return.
Cinda – Hi and Welcome!
Pam – What does 80% humidity feel like with temps at 7 °F / -14 °C? Does that mean snow or ice?
Dyson – hope you start feeling better. Can you get some BioFreeze? (if not I can send you some). It works a lot better than BenGay, etc. Glad you got to pick your carrots! I'll take some!
Kelli – Where did all your rain go?
E_B – nice picture…I love the orange.
Blooms – come on down, we’ll walk thru the Greenway. I go as often as possible.
Kiska – It was a balmy 59 on Saturday in the Greenway. Sweatshirt was in the basket (with the snips, clippers and diggers). Long sleeve t-shirt is all that was needed.

Tonight
Partly cloudy. Patchy fog after midnight. Lows in the lower 40s inland...in the upper 40s coast. East winds 5 mph.

53.4 °F / 11.9 °C
Mostly Cloudy
Humidity: 48%
Dew Point: 34 °F / 1 °C
Wind: Calm
Wind Gust: 5.4 mph / 8.7 km/h
Pressure: 30.24 in / 1023.9 hPa (Rising)
Visibility: 10.0 miles / 16.1 kilometers
UV: 0 out of 16
Clouds: Few 13000 ft / 3962 m
Mostly Cloudy 20000 ft / 6096 m
(Above Ground Level)

Thumbnail by MySharona

Deba and Kiska - Baxter is getting better. He's had 4 cans of Fancy Feast today. I'm sure he'll want another before bed time. He drinks about 1/4 cup of (my) water everyday (at least he thinks it's mine!) :P
Mine is up and out of the way. He is still weak, but is able to get around (short distances) on his own. Thank you for asking about him. He's my little man.

Thumbnail by MySharona
KC Metro area, MO(Zone 6a)

Great picture of him!! Glad to hear he is doing better.

Georgetown, SC(Zone 8a)

Awwww. Baxter, feel better soon little guy!

Two days of "normal" coming up, high of 67 tomorrow! (yay), then 3 nights forecast in the mid 20s! That's waaaay below normal. Brrr! ...and not good for my plants!

Dyson, rest up - hope your back feels better fast!

Deb

Thanks Darius
Dyson, go by the Tack Shop and get some DMSO. I've been using it for 30 years and don't leave home without it. Ne sure hands and back are clean.........no BenGay etc.
Sidney

Millersburg, PA(Zone 6b)

Gosh, Dyson, hope your back heals quickly.

It got up to 32 degrees today - the first day above freezing in a looong time. I have winter storm watches all over the place. Supposed to start Tuesday evening 6- 10 inches. We have had only 2.6 inches of precipitation this Jan and Feb. And if this storm circles out to sea, it may revisit us from the Northeast. At least that is what the National Weather Services is telling us.

Rocky Mount, VA(Zone 7a)

34.9°(F) porch, the kitchen table is full of veggie starts, broccoli, cauliflower, onion etc. Hope the ground thaws enough to plant them out before I run out of room. Have a good night all.

Dyson - hope you're feeling better today. By the way - you don't need a prescription for BioFreeze (no smell). I get mine over the counter at a chiropracter's office.
Se_eds - hope the weather clears for you

Today
Variable cloudiness. A 20 percent chance of light rain in the afternoon. High 69. East winds 5 to 10 mph becoming southeast 10 to 15 mph in the afternoon.

56.7 °F / 13 °C
Overcast
Humidity: 80%
Dew Point: 50 °F / 10 °C
Wind: 1.0 mph / 1 km/h from the NNE
Wind Gust: 4.0 mph / 6 km/h
Pressure: 30.21 in / 1022.9 hPa
Clouds: Overcast 20000 ft / 6096 m
(Above Ground Level)

sunbathing turtle - check out the stretched out beack leg!

Thumbnail by MySharona
(Zone 3b)

Just lost the post - once more:
7:15am, 8*F, partly cloudy, dark
With a table full of plants, Dyson, it must seem as if spring is just around the corner..hope you're doing better.
MySharona - 3 grandchildren are spending the week w/us; the 5 and 7 year old loved seeing the turtle this morning. Looks as if the rain and wind are a possibility there, bet it's quite warm, too..
se_eds - is snow still in the forecast?
I need to get the kids ready for school; lunches are already packed so we're off to a good start...The 17year old drives himself and is out the door...
5 and 7 year old grandkids a few weeks ago.
Kiska

Thumbnail by kiska
Rocky Mount, VA(Zone 7a)

53.1°(F) porch - and it really does not feel that warm outside.

Kiska - Glad they like the turtle - here's another for them. This one is a little larger.

Thumbnail by MySharona
Millersburg, PA(Zone 6b)

Snow is still forecast but not until Tuesday evening. latest report says depths will depend on whether it is snow or sleet. Temps now is 34 degrees. Overcast but very pleasant outside.

Houston, TX(Zone 9a)

It's warm and raining here. There is another chilly front coming through Tuesday night, so on Wednesday and Thursday the highs will only be in the 40's and it might get back down to freezing again. Good snuggling weather for Valentine's Day, but I think I'll wait a week to prune my roses after all! :-)

Observation for Houston, TX (KSGR) as of 12:21pm CST (3 min ago)
Temperature 64 °F 18 °C
Dew Point 62 °F 17 °C
Humidity 94%
Pressure 29.91 in 1013 mb
Wind Speed 3 MPH 3 kts
Wind Dir SSW 200°
Ceiling 1000 ft 305 m
Visibility 2 mi 3.2 km
Current Conditions Thunderstorm, Light Rain, Mist
Remarks 0.04" of precipitation last hour.
6 hour min temperature ending 11:53am CST : 61.0°F / 16.1°C

Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

Welcome Cinda!

Sharon, that is a nice picture to start the new threads with! I think you were tending Baxter before I missed all these days. I'm glad he's better. Poor guy!

Lilypon, I think acid rain is the worst of all. Nothing will grow in it. It's a very serious situation.

Dyson, hope your back is better.

Kelli, 4/10th isn't bad!

Early, another stunning photo!

Kiska, I think we'll have to rely on your photos for glaciers in the future. It's beautiful!

Se_eds, our weather coming your way.

Sharon, giggling over the turtle. I think he's trying to do the ''up-dog'' yoga pose!

Kiska, how wonderful to have the Grandkids! I had my two year old all day last Tuesday.

32* and no sun. We get snow, starting 6:00 pm and into tomorrow. Tomorrow it will blow and drift. February is not over!

(Zone 3b)

11:30am, 15*F very sunny - really looks great out. The light snowfall is beautifully frozen in place and the sunlight reflecting is almost too bright.
When I took the Gkids to school at 8:40am, it was light out, so dark is giving way quickly now.
MySharona, the turtle is certainly well hidden in plain sight. I'm anxious to show them after school and see how quickly they can find it..
bp - glad you liked the glacier - they're everywhere :). And, don't you just love to spend time w/ GKids?. So glad ours are all nearby..
This could be today's photo, looks just like this one taken last year at this time.
Kiska

Thumbnail by kiska
Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

Sharon, are the turtles in a pond, or backwater? Are they close to your home?

Kiska, your picture is so quiet and restful. I can't wait till the 5 month old Grandson is old enough to come with his brother! We're waiting for the snow.

Updated: 2:11 PM CST on February 12, 2007
Winter Storm Warning in effect from 6 PM this evening to 6 PM CST Tuesday...
Rest of Today
Cloudy. A slight chance of flurries. High in the lower 30s. Northeast wind 10 to 20 mph.

Tonight
Blustery...colder...snow. Areas of blowing snow after midnight. Snow accumulation of 2 to 4 inches. Low around 18. Northeast wind 15 to 25 mph. Chance of snow near 100 percent.

Balotesti, Romania(Zone 5a)

Such great pictures everyone ! Kiska, the last one is gorgeous, amasing, like in a fairytale ! Absolutely fantastic !

Sharon, I hope Baxter is fine!

Dyson, are you feeling better today ?

Welcome, Cinda ! How is your weather today ?

In Bucharest is warm and spring ! Spring flowers are blooming and the birds are flying and singing !The sunrises and sunsets are each one more beautiful than the other !

Here is the sky at sunrise in the park!
Adina

Thumbnail by adinamiti
Balotesti, Romania(Zone 5a)

It got colored with more red when the sun began to rise !

Thumbnail by adinamiti
Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

Hi Adinamiti, I love the dark clouds giving way to the yellows! I'm looking forward to your part of the world!

Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

I should have waited, the red is beautiful!!

(Zone 3b)

Adina - very nice- I love the way the reds are combined with the yellows -
Sunny, 28*F, just beautiful.... 2:30pm...
This little moose is recently orphaned..he's a sad sight; this was taken about 1/2 hour ago; about a "block" from my driveway.
Kiska

Thumbnail by kiska

Kiska – Your GK’s are adorable! I shivered when I saw your picture – it looks so cold!
Marylyn – We’re next in line for the chilly front. It hits us tomorrow night.
BP – The turtles are in the Greenway. I have to get my greenway “fix” at least 3 times a month!
Adina – Baxter is doing better. He sure is eating a lot, hopefully he’ll gain a lot more weight. Beautiful sunrise!

I heard from Joey! Her computer is down - waiting for Dell to replace since it's under warranty. She'll be back on line soon (I hope)!

Here's an up close picture of the sphagnum moss.

Thumbnail by MySharona
Rocky Mount, VA(Zone 7a)

54½°(F) (yea right went and bought a real "mercury" thermometer today - will install it tomorrow). Someone figure out where Ric went - think he must have missed the thread jump.

(Zone 3b)

Dyson - feeling better? was that a bright 54 1/2?
It's still bright here, nearly 4pm, 20*F, very nice; no wind.
MySharona - I just showed the GKds the turtle, and they were thrilled when they "found" it climbing out of the water..
Very pretty moss...
Little moose up close.. no traffic so I stopped and clicked a few.
Kiska

Thumbnail by kiska
So.App.Mtns., United States(Zone 5b)

Dyson, Ric is working 10 hour days right now. I 'spects he's pooprd when he gets home.

Georgetown, SC(Zone 8a)

Adina: Lovely sunrise.
Kiska: That first picture is so bright! Winter wonderland. :)
Was that moose's mom the one that was in your carport a few weeks ago? Is he big enough to get through to spring on his own? He looks sad.

We had a glorious day today, sunny and 67! Been dark for a couple of hours and it's only down to 59. Call me happy! :O

Enjoying it while it lasts, since mid-week is supposed to bring hard freezes overnight again.

I will send warm thoughts to all of you expecting "blowing snow" and the like! Brrr!

Deb

Weather changes are coming today. It will get chilly again after the rain.

57.0 °F / 13.9 °C
Partly Cloudy
Humidity: 88%
Dew Point: 53 °F / 12 °C
Wind: Calm
Wind Gust: 0.0 mph / 0.0 km/h
Pressure: 29.97 in / 1014.8 hPa
Clouds: Few 5000 ft / 1524 m
(Above Ground Level)

Today
Patchy early morning fog. Partly cloudy with a slight chance of showers in the morning...then mostly cloudy with showers and thunderstorms likely in the afternoon. Some thunderstorms may be strong late. Highs in the mid 70s. South winds 5 to 10 mph. Chance of rain 70 percent.

Taken at the recreation center. Baseball field in background.

Thumbnail by MySharona

Howdy all, I am so glad you heard from Joey. The weather where Ric is is bad right now so he may be without.
I have been covered-up with all this work being done around the house and yesterday Frank turned 60.
Sharon covered our weather already.
This morning First Coast News featured all the great get-aways on Amellia Island/Fernadina Beach for Valentines. Many great and $reasonable$.
Sidney

Rocky Mount, VA(Zone 7a)

47.3°(F) porch very overcast and gray I took the day off from work to try and rest my back.

Millersburg, PA(Zone 6b)

Currently 24 degrees and snowing. That real lite powdery stuff. Predictions are all over the place as far as inches expected. Supposed to snow all day, sleet and freezing rain tomorrow. Most schools and activities are canceled. Some schools locally picked up students and are sending them home by noon.

Dyson, that 47.3 degrees sounds great. It would quickly turn this mess to water. LOL

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.