Adding plants without pictures.....

Southern, United States

Is this acceptable or generally frowned upon? I've seen others complain about no pictures with accompanying PF entries so should we wait until we have a photo to submit an entry?

Dublin, CA(Zone 9a)

I add things that don't have pictures--it's always nice to have a picture of course, but if you don't have one but know a lot about the plant then there's no reason not to enter it, then go back later and add a picture if you get one, or I'm sure someone else will come along with a picture. The type of entries that I personally find annoying are the ones where people go in and enter a bunch of plants but they put in no hardiness/cultural/etc information in at all. Those entries are pretty useless because you don't get any info at all about the plant from them, but I think if you have some of the cultural info on a plant you ought to enter it even if you don't have a picture, it's still valuable for people to know about the hardiness, propagation, sun/shade, etc.

Augusta, GA(Zone 8a)

If evrybody waited until they had a picture, there would be a lot less entries in Plantfiles. Certainly enter as much information as is available to you. For cultivated plants, it is helpful to list a vendor.

Murfreesboro, TN(Zone 7a)

I agree with everything...except the suggestion to list a vendor in your comment. Two reasons we would prefer you don't do that:

1) Vendors change their inventory over time, and what you write today may not be true next season - and unless you're just really into helping a vendor by keeping your comments up to date, your comments will eventually become obsolete.

2) Many vendors pay to particpate in PlantScout, where they do maintain updated inventory lists which are linked into PlantFiles and help visitors and DG members find sources of plants, seeds, or bulbs. If members list sources in their comments, it can be a little frustrating for PlantScout vendors,and cause some vendors to question whether it's worth paying to participate.

(Which leads back to #1 - if they pay to participate, the vendor is responsible and financially motivated to keep their information updated, meaning that PlantScout should remain more accurate than member comments that refer to a possible source ;o)

Now, if a vendor introduced the seed...that is potentially helpful/useful (and unchanging) information that can be nice to add in a comment.

Southern, United States

Ok, thanks Farmerdill and Terry!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or register to post.

Upload Images to your reply

You may upload up to 5 images