New, new and new

Spiro, OK(Zone 7a)

Hey guys. I'm new (again) to DG, and new to Utah and buying a new house with an existing vegetable garden. It's a nice big garden with wood borders, and I'm planning to start my first garden in a LONG time (like 13 years) and I want to do it organically. I have NO idea what was used in the soil that's already there, but I don't know if it would be feasible to remove the soil and replace it. Also, there is existing vegetation (looks like old cabbage and maybe lettuce and squash) in the garden. Do I till it under (it's been there all winter) or remove it entirely? What's the best way to prep the earth without chemicals and what can I plant for pest control that's NOT marigolds (I'm really allergic). I have a million questions, and I'll be cruising the boards for the answers, but I thought I'd ask these few that came to mind right away. Thanks!

Eileen

Efland, NC(Zone 7a)

Welcome back, Eileen! And congrats on your new house! and "Digs"!

If it were me I'd ask the previous owners about their garden bed soil and supplements. Wouldn't it be great to hear they are 'non herbicide' types!?

As for what is growing in there now, till it under. It will add good nutrition and tilth to the soil.

Right now I'm not sure there is anything you can plant there this time of year but you can work the beds and add any kind of compost/amendments to it.

Wishing you a great garden!

Shoe

Alpine, TX(Zone 7b)

Dear Eileen,

Be sure to have the soil tested for nematodes, which may be found in old gardens (probably from transplants). I lived in 2 places where people had gardened for years, and they were both infested. I did not replace the soil - maybe I should have - but gradually I almost got rid of them by using shrimp shell meal.

kabocha

Wilsonville, OR(Zone 8b)

Hi Kabocha,

I am curious about your username!

I love what they sell as "Kabocha" pumkin in the store, and have been trying to find it to grow from seed.

Last year I bought seed labeled Kabocha and the picture on the outside of the package looked just like what I wanted, but what I actually grew turned out to be something else :)

This year I ordered two other varieties, marked as:

Japanese Squash, Hybrid
Delica Kabocha

Japanese Squash, Hybrid
Naguri Kabocha

Hoping they will turn out better!

Back in Sweden I used to get something called "Hokkaido Pumpkin", which is very much like what the stores here sell as Kabocha.

So what is the story behind your name?

essential

San Francisco Bay Ar, CA(Zone 9b)

Eileen, in addition to asking the previous owners about their gardening style (if possible), I'd start with a good soil test to learn the status of the existing soil. This will guide you to the type of amendments and/or nutrients that you may need to add

I used this lab and ordered their S-1 service so that I got recommendations:
http://www.aglabs.com/index.html

A well nourished plant will not be attractive to insect pests. Building up your soil biology, especially the mycorrhizae, will take care of things like predatory nematodes and weeds and will help the plants get their nutrients from the soil. The beneficial mycorrhizae are destroyed by deep tilling or double digging. If you need to double dig initially, be sure to use a soil innoculant to replace them.

Alpine, TX(Zone 7b)

Dear Essential,

I too love Kabocha squash and have grown it quite a few times. I don't know what kind of kabocha I grow - it's dark greyish green and the flesh is velvety. When I lived in California the skin was tender and edible, but now in West Texas, where things have to be tough, it gets warty and must be peeled. In addition to baking, it makes great soups and pies. In CA it had it easy and would run all over the yard. One time I counted 30 - yes 30 - squash coming from one plant. Sometimes I would go out to the garden in the dusk in the midst of these big leaves and feel the (slightly scary) presence of this BEING that was taking over the garden.

By the way, I have lots of seeds from last year, if you or anyone else would like some.

kabocha

Peoria, IL

I doubt one would ever need to remove and replace the soil.

A soil test might be a good place to start.

And start adding lots of organic material to the soil and start composting (if you are not already).

Wilsonville, OR(Zone 8b)

Hi Kabocha,

30 from one plant! Wow! I got only 2 or 3 from my so called Kabocha last year, but it was not in the best possible spot, so I'll give it a better place this year. I eat the skin even when it does get warty, it still just melts in your mouth once you cook it!

One of my favorite ways of eating kabocha squash is:

Mix some Light Mellow Miso with water in the bottom of a cooking pan, then kabocha cut in squares, then a layer of onion wedges, topped with yellow corn. Bring to boil, then simmer on low heat until kabocha is soft and tender. Make sure the heat is not too high, and that you have enough (but not too much) water, or it will stick to bottom of pan. You can stir to mix ingredients once it starts simmering.

Are the seeds you have from last year from your own plants? I thought kabochas were always hybrids and would not come true from seed? I would love to try yours!! How do I go about taking you up on your offer, do I send you a SASE?

Alpine, TX(Zone 7b)

Essential -

Oh-oh, you are right, the Sweet Mama kabocha I planted last year WAS a hybrid - I just looked at the seed packet. Well, now I don't know if you would want any of the seeds. I'm not sure what kind gave the 30 squash; it must have been 6-7 years ago, but it looked the same. I'm trying to think why that plant produced so much back then, because last year here in TX one plant gave about 5 squash. I remember that I had a friend with a horse, and I used to go every year and get a whole pick-up bed full of manure for my vegetable garden. I think I also used shrimp shell meal.

The recipe sounds very good; I'll try that this summer. I put miso in, too.

By the way, I'm really ignorant about net-related communication. What is an SASE?

Wilsonville, OR(Zone 8b)

Hi Kabocha,

I guess I'll pass on the seeds, but I do thank you for the offer nevertheless!

SASE is Self Addressed Stamped Envelope.

San Antonio, TX(Zone 8b)

For a really interesting squash collection take a look at Baker Creek (http:://www.rareseeds.com). I'm ordering Yokohama.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.