Neomerica gracilis?

Orwell, VT

I was given this iris a few years ago and this is the second time that it has flowered for me. I think that it is very beautiful and also has a lovely fragrance. How hardy are these irises?

Thumbnail by David_Vermont
Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

It is lovely, almost like an orchid.

Oro Valley, AZ(Zone 9a)

Not very hardy at all. They are tropical loving irises (originally from Brazil, I believe) and if the temps dip below freezing - - they freeze. Whether they come back to grow again or not depends 1.) on their size, 2.) how much below freezing it went down to, 3.) for how LONG it was below freezing, and 4.) where they are planted (in the ground, what type of ground, potted, how large of a pot, etc).

In Vermont - - it probably doesn't have a chance if it's left outdoors in the winter. If it were me - - I'd make it an indoor plant in the winter, and an outdoor plant once all the danger of frost is over. I hope this helps.

~Margie

Orwell, VT

Thank you Margie,

I was thinking of sharing the plant with my brother in Seattle where they have a more mild climate.

Lakeland, FL(Zone 9b)

it will make young plants from the floor root those its also called a walking iris

Orwell, VT

This iris is continuing to flower! More people should consider having this gem as a house plant. If anybody would like to have some of it's plantlets I will happily share.

David

Keene, NH(Zone 5a)

here's the sad thing, though- that pretty flower lasts barely a day! I have had my plant for many years now.. I actually got it at Logee's Greenhouse in Conn.- where it grew wild under the benches. it seems to like lots of water, and as far as I know, it is basically tropical.......

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.