Where do you purchase your grass?

McLean, VA(Zone 6b)

I have been looking on line at various cataloges, and at Ebay to get some ideas for summer. I believe that I am probably going to get some additional Karl Foerster, purple fountain grass, and a couple of miscanthus (probably little kitten, and little dot, maybe gracillimus and adagio) this year. I know that if I wait until it is warmer, I will have a good selection at my local nursery, but it comes at a price. Does anyone purchase their's online or grow from seed?

Great South Bay, Lon, NY(Zone 7a)

You can't grow any of your selections from seed, with the possible exception of M.s. 'Gracillimus.' The others, if they germinate at all, probably won't come true, but will rather revert to species Calamagrostis, Pennisetum and Miscanthus.

There are a number of good online sources for ornamental grasses, and you can buy them in sizes ranging from small plugs to fully mature specimens. Obviously, the larger they are the more they cost, both for the plants and for the freight.

If you watch the online sources for sales, you can get some really good prices. It generally happens mid-late summer. Last year I bought dozens of 3-4" pots of named grasses at half-price and better from Park's Wholesale and Bluestone Perennials.

Check out Santa Rosa Gardens. They currently have their Miscanthus varieties at half-price.

http://www.santarosagardens.com/SearchResults.asp?Search=miscanthus&Search.x=0&Search.y=0

McLean, VA(Zone 6b)

Donn,

You are an excellent source. They have almost everything that I want. Thank you.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.