Help me please???

Lawrenceville, GA(Zone 7b)

Last year I asked a neighbor what these green blades could be. We've been living here for 7 years and every year we have the same blades. She told me Iris, this was before they bloomed. I gave them some cow manure and compost and this is what I got. What are they? Thanks.

Thumbnail by Raggedyann

another pic

Thumbnail by Raggedyann
Oro Valley, AZ(Zone 9a)

Wish I knew what species of iris...........maybe someone else will. So cute!!

Allentown, NJ(Zone 6b)

It could be a siberian iris or if it is growing in a very moist area, could be a water iris. I have one(water iris) that is similar from what I can see called, Royal Princess.

Lakeland, FL(Zone 9b)

its a water iris most likely a LA Iris

Lakeland, FL(Zone 9b)

heres a tub full

Thumbnail by phicks

Thanks!!! I'm wondering if I should move them. They are in full shade under a maple tree along with some glads, bleeding hearts, ferns, lily of the valley, spiderwort, etc. or should I leave them alone. They are my fave color and now I think I might like to try my hand at growing some other Iris :)

Raleigh, NC

This looks like a type of iris they have at Plant Delights nursery--I have one, but cannot find my list with the name. (Lots of good it does for me to write things down....). All I remember is its a constant bloomer in warm weather--check out their website, and I will also do the same and try to locate a name for you.

Ok, found it. I was thinking of 'Cypella coelestis', but relooking at your pic I can't tell what the leaves look like. Cypella's leaves are not true strap-like leaves--they are more of a pleated strap (no, thats not a botanical designation of a new leaf type--just my weird description). This plant is fairly rare in the US still, so I suspect its not what you have, but maybe...check out some pics online and see what you think.

This message was edited Feb 13, 2007 5:33 PM

Lakeland, FL(Zone 9b)

id not move it it will bloom just fine where it is move it in late fall if you want

Thanks again for all the great info! I will check out that site.
I don't think I'll move it, I have a bag of 28 glads to plant in that area and I want to get some more Iris too. I'm not going to put all the glads there LOL! :) If I plant Iris now will they bloom this year??

I think I found it!

http://www.hillkeep.ca/bulbs%20iris.htm
It's a rabbit ear iris (Iris laevigata). Mine looks like the second picture. Can't wait for it to bloom again!

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

That's a truly lovely iris. Glad you were able to identify it -- before moving it.

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.