Starting the ourdoor garden

Lexington, SC(Zone 8a)

Now that we finally have our first home, I can finally take my interest in plants out of the house (sorta). Only problem is, I'm back to square one and have no idea what I'm doing when it comes to growing the plants I enjoy outside, especially in this area. Granted I grew up on a 'farm' of sorts where we planted A LOT of vegitables, corn, grains, etc, but what I'm looking to do isn't southern gardening per se.

I really enjoy tropicals, and most of what I grow indoors can't be grown outdoors through the winter. A few samples of my collection are: Monstera Deliciosa (Split-Leaf), Pothos, White Bird of Paradise, Bird of Paradise, Travellers Palm, Green Hawaiian Ti, Tree Philodendron, Plumeria, Tree Ferns, etc. Not exactly your cold hardy bunch by any means. Most wouldn't make it through December here. Most of the cuttings I started are from Hawaii, south Florida, or Puerto Rico. A far cry from SC.

So how can I start building a tropical look in my yard (with hardy plants) without going nuts and violating our covenants? We do live in a new neighborhood, but as far as I can tell they aren't super strict on what you grow, so long as you don't turn it into a jungle or do commercial gardening. I think Bamboo is out of the question, LOL. I'll probably be pushing my luck with the Basjoo banana I just purchased, which I know can handle our winters (20F usually at worst). I plan to put it in the backyard somewhere. Luckily my wife didn't seem to mind too much either. I don't think she gets the whole plant obsession thing I have going on.

Our home is on a hill, so I'm looking to plant some things that not only add a tropical feel to the yard, but also help with keeping erosion down. I know I'll have to plant some shrubs to really achieve that goal, but I don't know what kind of tropical shrubs I can use. Anyone have ideas? We know for sure the front yard has a Crape Myrtle tree (I suspect it's white, but I won't know till Spring) and another tree (but we're not sure what it is either, we just moved in). Eventually we'll be fencing in the backyard, so I know I have to wait for the fence to do any property line landscaping, but I'd like to get started along the sides of the house at the least.

Anyone have tips or ideas you can share with me?

Here's some photos of our new home and the plants we have on the inside (plant photos are from the apartment we moved out of). Not sure if it'll help in recommendations for what can go around the home but I figured a visual wouldn't hurt. I just am looking forward to finally extending my hobby outside for a change.
http://www.pro-networks.org/forum/album_personal.php?user_id=444

Thanks,
John

This message was edited Feb 9, 2007 11:30 AM

Jacksonville, FL(Zone 9a)

John, are you interested in going to the "Soul Gardening" (gardening from your soul) program by Jenks Farmer at Riverbanks on the 22nd? Jenks uses a lot of tropicals in his landscapes and it should be an interesting evening. You can find the info about it on the zoo website.

I have a ticket and will be unable to get to Columbia that night to use it. I'll be happy to pass it on to you gratis. D mail me if you would like it. alice

Clemmons, NC(Zone 7b)

Shrubs-Windmill palms, Musa velutina, camellia, oleander, Buddleia (IMO, tropical looking enough!LOL), Zebra Grass, Aucuba, Sagos are hardy in SC, as well as several other palms. I'm growing all these in NC, and it gets a bit colder here.

Good luck, I could go on...

Lexington, SC(Zone 8a)

Thanks guys. I hadn't even though about looking at the Zoo.

Alice, do you know what the admission cost is for that program? If I go I'd like my wife to be able to come too. I greatly appreciate the offer.

Jacksonville, FL(Zone 9a)

Here is the zoo website and the info on the program. I am a member so my ticket was 15.00; non members pay 21.00. Contact them and see if they still have space available. My ticket came in an email so I can just forward it to you if you are able to use it. alice

Incidentally, Jenks has some huge crinums (6') at his nursery.

Georgetown, SC(Zone 8a)

How bout Fatsia japonica and European fan palm (chamaerops humilis).

John, You have some very happy looking plants in your photos!

Deb

This message was edited Feb 24, 2007 12:23 PM

Johns Island, SC

I was thinking the same thing, DebinSC!!!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.