Mist room

Tonasket, WA(Zone 5a)

I live in interior North Central WA, just south of the Canadian border. We have pretty hot dry summers. Have to irrigate for at least 7 months during summer. So I thought a mist room would be nice in the hottest weather. It is fairly shady, from the east shaded by the garage, from the north west by a fairly large Tilia tomentosa, Silver Linden, that I planted 12 years ago, and also from the west by a large lilac. I already had a mist system from Charlies installed in my small gh, so I had the fellow who works for me just bring the pvc pipe around the garage to use for the mist garden.

In stalled some 4 x 4 posts that support the 2 x 4s that the pvc pipe and misters are fastened to. Feels really nice to walk through the mist on a hot summer day.

#1 overall picture of mist room

Donna

Thumbnail by rutholive
Tonasket, WA(Zone 5a)

As you can see in previous post there is a swing too, that is just out of reach of the misters but does feel nice and cool with an occasional drift of mist.

#2 is of the area just to the west of misters, next to garage.

Thumbnail by rutholive
Tonasket, WA(Zone 5a)

The tree in previous post is a 9 year old Robinia Twisty Baby Dwarf Locust, it is not dwarf.

#3 is featuring the purple door that doesn't open and goes nowhere!!!!!!!!

Thumbnail by rutholive
Tonasket, WA(Zone 5a)

#4 This is the purple door after I found a mirror to fasten to it.

Thumbnail by rutholive
Chevy Chase, MD(Zone 7a)

I love your purple door!

Have any of you tried a mist system in a hot muggy climate (like mine!)? I would think it would still be pleasant, but just wanted to see if there are problems associated with it. I love the idea of having it near a swinging seat.

I had been stalling on having a plumber put a spigot in my yard (rather than using those attached to the house). I really wanted it, but it was going to be expensive. It has been annoying to run back and forth to the house every time I changed a sprinkler. Then when I finally raised the notion with the plumber, he pointed me to something that I had never heard of before, but is very obvious: hose spigots that can be cemented in place, but that are just connected to your water source by a hose that can be put away in the winter (rather than being permanently plumbed). Here is a very simple one: http://www.barbecues.com/web/catalog/product_detail.aspx?pid=94406&cm_ven=Froogle&cm_cat=Accents&cm_pla=Yard%20Butler&cm_ite=Yard%20Butler-Irrigation-94406&cid=60534A1AA996A3D7855F82A14BAB6EF6. http://www.amazon.com/FER7-Heavy-Duty-Faucet-Extender/dp/B0009PM8DS/sr=1-3/qid=1170951902/ref=sr_1_3/104-1795951-6892704?ie=UTF8&s=hi I also have seen some that are very elegant. http://www.frontgate.com/jump.jsp?itemType=PRODUCT&itemID=722&k=ZZ50867

This will save us a fortune over the in-ground plumbed version, and be much less of a hassle in terms of priming the system in the spring and closing it down in the fall (which would be necessary for the in-ground version). This way all I have to do is roll up the hose. I can hide the hose under mulch so it'll be mostly invisible. So I am hoping to do this in the spring.

But your post makes me think I could also attach a PVC pipe to the hose to run a misting system over a nearby swinging seat (which I still haven't bought) for not much more trouble.

Any thoughts on this idea?

Indianapolis, IN(Zone 5b)

Ooooooooooh, Happy, I love that one by Frontgate! I just love it when people do my shopping for me! Then all I have to do is convince Mr. Clean is would be, well, CLEANER! LOL!

I have a different kind, sort of the farm version. It is a pump-looking thing that is connected by real live pipe underground. Too bad I don't live in a farm house.

Suzy

Tonasket, WA(Zone 5a)

Suzy, I sure didn't have the mist system turned on outside yesterday or last night. Had a hard frost/freeze all night. Covered up almost everything. Am still using the mist system in the gh. Think most of my apricot blooms got frozen. Usually waits until Easter for that and it almost is that time of year. We are supposed to get back up to the 70s this weekend.

Donna

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.