daily pics - page 2

Marlton, NJ

WT Sparrow, Junco and House Finch.

Hi sadie, Thats funny about the Mock!

Thumbnail by pelletory
NW Qtr, AR(Zone 6a)

Good-NESS! I've been missin' a whole bunch of shtuffs ..

ALL .. are some wonderful shots of our feathered & furry (squirrel) critters!

Ah-hah, pelle ..
Sooo there is a drawback or two, in the use of those {squirrel proof} types of feeders, afterall!

{Here} this morning, the Juncos had staked claim to the suet log feeder. Of course, with finding the fly-thru feeder right next door to be empty - may aid in justifyin' their surprisingly 'bullyish' behavior somewhat. .. LOL ..

'Scuse this photo, for it's taken thru the wee tiny lil snow flurries & a dirty kitchen window glass. There's a Downy, a White-Throated Sparrow, an American Goldfinch and about three 'greedy' lil Juncos ..

- Magpye

This message was edited Feb 14, 2007 12:47 PM

Thumbnail by Magpye
Marlton, NJ

Thats cute Magpye! I love the little junco coming in for the landing.

Whidbey Island, WA(Zone 7a)

Good ones, all!!! Thought you might get a chuckle out of my pic from yesterday - I was on the ferry and got this through the railing slats, sitting in my car. At least he has a little color, right???!!!

Thumbnail by Murmur

And all fluffed up . . .

Thumbnail by Murmur
Marlton, NJ

Very nice Murmur ; he's a beauty!

Georgetown, SC(Zone 8a)

Pelle: I love your starlings in the icy vines!

Sadie: I also have a territorial mockinbird. He started out just chasing others off the suet, but now he seems to have expanded his domain to every feeder out there! It's too many for him to guard effectively, so he was busy today swooping from one side of the tree to the other. He'd go one way, and this little flurry of wings would go the other. It was funny to watch, but difficult to get on 'film'.

Magpye: It takes a hungy junco to get more than a couple of feet off the ground! I love your picture of them & the others all around the log.

Here's my favorite acrobat from today. :)
DebinSC

Thumbnail by DebinSC
Kingsport, TN(Zone 6b)

Aww, that's just TOO cute Deb!

OMG Pell! All that ice looks terrible! I hope you don't lose power. Are you getting more snow? I really hate it when everything gets thickly covered with ice. Let us know how you are doing!

Here's a puffy titmouse from this evening. It was in the 20's today but not much precip. here.

Thumbnail by lilyfantn
Georgetown, SC(Zone 8a)

Lily: He's a "quilted" Titmouse. :)

Only new visitor today was this fella, a Pine Warbler, I'm pretty sure. (Thanks to Pelle. for the earlier assist when my brain deserted me and I called this a Goldfinch! Oops.)

Deb(inSC)

Thumbnail by DebinSC
Central, KY(Zone 6b)

I love coming in and seeing these pretty pics, especially when it's so cold and gray here!

Debin ~ I put out fresh seed for the birds today and gave Mr. Mock some fresh fruit. I moved his feeder to a different spot, I'm hoping he'll leave the others alone now. He didn't act like this when he was just eating the suet but the oranges turned him into a monster, LOL!

This message was edited Feb 14, 2007 9:18 PM

Melbourne, FL

Another shot of the pretty female Painted Bunting taken today.

Thumbnail by gardenpom
Melbourne, FL

The squirrels are always around.

Thumbnail by gardenpom
Melbourne, FL

Hawk visitor.

Thumbnail by gardenpom
Melbourne, FL

Yellow-rumped Warbler.

Thumbnail by gardenpom
Marlton, NJ

Nice shots, Deb,Lily and Garden!!

Lewisburg, KY(Zone 6a)

Murmur, I love the shot of your type of quail. Ours do not have the little feathery thing on their head. Did you get that shot at your home feeder? Maybe I should put out some corn near the woods. We also have wild turkeys.

gardenpom, I have been enjoying your shots too. Well, everyone's on this thread.
Teresa

Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

Great pics Mur, Pelle, Debin, Lily.. wowie y'all!! Hey, it's real nice to see you Mags!!!
Hugaroos everybody!

Been a little busier lately planning where to put what.. Lots of sprouts coming up, too cold to put them out yet, and keeping the ones in the ground covered for the last few freezes.. Whew!

Here is one big galoot that tried to land on my hanging feeder yesterday, LOL! Caused a lot of comotion around here....

Deb :-S

Thumbnail by debnes_dfw_tx
Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

Here right before the above shot, sitting on the fence.. Must have been close to 2 pounds..

:-S

Kingsport, TN(Zone 6b)

OMG Deb what a shot!! Was your hawk going after a bird maybe? We had a family of hawks a few years ago with their nest in the yard across the street from me. It was very comical to see how clumsy the young adults were when it came to catching food. That is shot is so nice and sharp - I'm in total awe!! :-o

Gardenpom, I could look at your painted buntings all day!! Cute squirrel - I haven't seen mine lately (sniff)

Hi Teresa! I hope you are lucky and get some turkey and quail shots. Some summers I can hear bobwhites calling behind my neighbor's house across the street where there is a creek and a farm. With all the roaming pets in the neighborhood, I'm surprised we have any.

Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

Kinglet wasn't skeered at all... of the bad ole hawk LOL... And yes, it was snowing yesterday at 1:15 PM, but it didn't stick.

:-D

Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

Thank you Lily!
Cardinal was way in the back watching all the action from inside the shrub... Didn't seem like he was afraid of the Hawk either..

Marlton, NJ

Great catch on the Coopers deb!!!

Deb, wow! Fabulous photos!!!

Blue, the California Quail were under one of my feeders - most of the seed (black oiled sunflower) had been spilled via the openings that had become too large. It seems the quail like it. They are also often under the fly through feeder which has wild bird seed - they try to land on/in the feeder, but can't do it. They are a charming bird!

Maysville, MO(Zone 5a)

Deb......do you lose any birds to the hawk? We have a LOT of Red Tailed and Coopers here on the farm, but they stay well away from the house and feeders.

Marlton, NJ

I couldn't believe it but when I went out in the backyard to put out a bowl of peanuts and hopefully fill at least the thistle feeder I stepped down and theres a solid sheet of ICE on top of the snow!!! I did put the peanuts out but the thistle feeder was frozen shut with ice and I couldn't even get the top to move to get it off. All my bird seed is in the shed at the very back of the yard but it was so dangerous I decided to wait till another time to try and fill them.
Heres a Carolina Wren on the plate where I put the peanuts (in the shell). I was so surprised to see him actually pick one up and fly off with it ; I've never seen them do that before.

Thumbnail by pelletory
Kingsport, TN(Zone 6b)

Wow, you really got socked! Be carefuul though - it would be awful to slip and fall.

I got a couple of "Chilly Willie" shots this morning.

For some reason this picture makes me think of "March of the Penguins" lol.

This message was edited Feb 15, 2007 11:03 AM

This message was edited Feb 15, 2007 11:09 AM

Thumbnail by lilyfantn
Kingsport, TN(Zone 6b)

I think he is pretty annoyed because there is an interloper among his precious peanuts - he's getting pretty steamed!

Thumbnail by lilyfantn
Kingsport, TN(Zone 6b)

AAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!

Thumbnail by lilyfantn
Kingsport, TN(Zone 6b)

Uh oh - that did it. Now he's getting ready sumo wrestler style.

Thumbnail by lilyfantn

Fabulous, Lily! Love the captions.

Tiller, OR(Zone 8a)

How cute!

Marlton, NJ

Really nice pics and cpations!

Kingsport, TN(Zone 6b)

Well, after lots of noise and body slamming, things have quieted down outside the dining room window. I went out to restock the seed and found this small note written in scratchy letters along with a picture...

WANTED Public Enemy #1
Reward - 50 peanuts

Thumbnail by lilyfantn
Marlton, NJ

LOL Lily!!

Its very windy here today heres a pic of the male Cardinal in the tree.

Thumbnail by pelletory
Marlton, NJ

Heres his mate getting her feathers blown in the Trumpet Vines.

Thumbnail by pelletory
Marlton, NJ

Heres my weird colored female House Finch with the all white head. She visits every 2-3 weeks.

Thumbnail by pelletory
Kingsport, TN(Zone 6b)

OOOOO, it does look windy - I'm getting cold just looking lol! What an interesting looking house finch. My friend from work had an albino squirrel who lived in her neighborhood for quite a while. Other than that squirrel I have never seen birds with partial albinism although I have seen them in magazines. It will be interesting to see if she stays through the summer. Keep us posted!

This message was edited Feb 15, 2007 4:35 PM

Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

Thanks & same to you guys.... what great pics!

Quoting:
Deb......do you lose any birds to the hawk?

Moonlighter~ Matter of fact I think this one Mourning Dove got nailed sometime between yesterday and this morning, and she scathed by somehow. She just wanted to stand in the ice water, and she ate and ate and ate today. Even when other birds were spooked she just sat there eating or standing in the water.. I sure hope she heals up alright..

Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

Kinglet finally decided to try a taste of the nectar... Now she's hooked I think. I took over a dozen pics of this today.

Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

She and Warbler took turns..

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.