daily pics - page 2

Kingsport, TN(Zone 6b)

Today is another day off and I'm manning my new bird lure station lol! Here are a few pics from this morning.

Thumbnail by lilyfantn
Kingsport, TN(Zone 6b)

I'm thinking this one is a song sparrow? I'm not positive though as they look redder in my guide book.

Thumbnail by lilyfantn
Georgetown, SC(Zone 8a)

Must be Nuthatch day! Haven't seen one at the feeder in weeks and this morning there was a white-breasted and a brown-headed. Here's the former....not real crisp - lighting was a problem.
Deb

Thumbnail by DebinSC
Georgetown, SC(Zone 8a)

And the other nuthatch...with the ubiquitous sparrows, of course.
Deb

Thumbnail by DebinSC
Kingsport, TN(Zone 6b)

I love that nuthatch Deb! (I have never seen a brown headed one) They don't come to my feeders very often but I do see then clambering all over the huge maples in the yard. I think the maples must be starting to run with sap as the sapsucker has just started showing up again. Gee, it just occured to me why the sapsucker has that name!

Georgetown, SC(Zone 8a)

Lily: That's so funny that you mention the sapsuckers. There was one of 'em at the feeder today, too, but I didn't get a good pic. I think you may be right!

Deb

Northumberland, United Kingdom(Zone 9a)

Quoting:
I'm thinking this one is a song sparrow?

Yep, agreed! They are fairly variable in how brown/rufous they are.

Resin

Kingsport, TN(Zone 6b)

Thanks Resin!! You are so helpful to us - I really appreciate it!

Wow, am I having fun at the window today. Not getting much else done though lol! I know birds puff up in the cold but this has to be THE fluffiest blue jay I have ever seen.

Thumbnail by lilyfantn
Kingsport, TN(Zone 6b)

Here is a blue jay that actually brought a small shelled unsalted peanut TO the feeder by the window and exchanged it for a peanut in the shell!! He probably got the one without the shell in the front yard. Here he is after arriving with his peanut (looking for the exchange depart... "I got this for Christmas and its not the right size!")

This message was edited Feb 8, 2007 1:58 PM

Thumbnail by lilyfantn
Kingsport, TN(Zone 6b)

Here he is with the "better" peanut

Thumbnail by lilyfantn
Kingsport, TN(Zone 6b)

Here is a female cardinal that was actually eating her snack while sitting on the window ledge looking in the house!

Thumbnail by lilyfantn
Kingsport, TN(Zone 6b)

I know a lot of you are plagued with squirrels who empty your feeders and won't think this is cute, but here are some pics of one of the few squirrels that I get. This one was fascinated with the camera and me on the other side of the window. He (I have no idea actually if it is a male or a female) kept trying to find a way in. I put my finger on the window pane and he tried to sniff it through the glass and made little clacking noises with his paws on the glass. Here are some pics of him.

This message was edited Feb 8, 2007 12:10 PM

Thumbnail by lilyfantn
Kingsport, TN(Zone 6b)

Here is his little inquisitive face trying to look in from different angles

Thumbnail by lilyfantn
Kingsport, TN(Zone 6b)

"yoo hoo!! got anything better in there?"

Thumbnail by lilyfantn
Kingsport, TN(Zone 6b)

I just love those little paws

Thumbnail by lilyfantn
Kingsport, TN(Zone 6b)

I'm sure I'll be seeing more of this guy...

Thumbnail by lilyfantn
Tiller, OR(Zone 8a)

What a cutie! I like the squirrels just fine, except when they dig my bulbs.

Last year we had 3 ground squirrels, and DH took a particular liking to them. He's not to fond of birds, as a big tom turkey got him pretty good when he was a toddler.

My SIL made some squirrel feeders for DH, and we've both enjoyed watching them. But we have a switch on the feeder raiding! I have birds (scrub jays and fox sparrows) that actually get into the jar to get seed! I saw one of the jays checking it out for several days before it worked up the courage, but now it's a regular thing.

A squirrel was on the bird feeder a couple days ago, so they're showing up again. Hope I don't have a fight over the squirrel feeders, LOL

Georgetown, SC(Zone 8a)

Lily: I'm one of those plagued with squirrels but I love your photos! The little varmints make me crazy but they are so smart and they never-ever give up. Here's one this morning who has figured out the squirrel resistant feeder.
Here's how he get the seed without putting his weight on the bar..
Deb
Edited to add: Tigerlily: I feel your pain about squirrels digging bulbs. I had to give up tulips altogether!

This message was edited Feb 8, 2007 1:34 PM

Thumbnail by DebinSC
Georgetown, SC(Zone 8a)

And here's how he eats his prize seeds...
Deb
PS: Lily, that jay looks like he's been pumping iron! :)

This message was edited Feb 8, 2007 1:35 PM

Thumbnail by DebinSC
Central, KY(Zone 6b)

OMG, I love all of these squirrel pics! Our squirrels haven't figured out that the dogs can't get out of the yard, so they don't venture from the woods very often.

Lilyfan, you definitely have the perfect set up, those closeups are awesome!! I'm really tempted to buy a window feeder for DH's shop and see what kind of pics I might be able to get.

Kingsport, TN(Zone 6b)

Its worked out better than I had hoped! Now I'm wondering if there is some kind of plastic film or something that I can tape on the window around where the camera is that will allow me to see out but they can't see in. You should see me half crawling over to the camera so I don't scare anything away. (I usually do anyway)

Deb, those squirrel shots are really adorable.

This message was edited Feb 8, 2007 3:57 PM

Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

LF, those squirrel shots are adorable!! He looks very young.
The little jay with the fur cape is a hoot!!

Debin, that is a clever little fella. Looks like you need to find a spot away from the tree! LOL! The nuthatches are sweet!

Marlton, NJ

Great pics everyone!! Debin, love the nuthatch!

Lily, Love the puffy BJ!

Georgetown, SC(Zone 8a)

Sheila: I definitely need to find a spot away from the tree. First warmer day that I can get the materials, I'm going to make a 4X4 post set-up. I'll leave something in the tree for the squirrels but all the bird stuff is going to move. This morning I caught a squirrel having a nice meal of apples that I thought would be hard for him to get to. Silly me. :)

Birds have been elusive this morning. The muscovy ducks visit every day, but today they brought a pal (and his girlfriend - not pictured). If those giant Chinese geese start showing up, I'm in trouble.

Deb

Thumbnail by DebinSC
Kingsport, TN(Zone 6b)

Oh I just love ducks! I can just hear all that contented quacking now lol.

I hope you all don't mind seeing more blue jays. They were out in number on the changing table.

Thumbnail by lilyfantn
Kingsport, TN(Zone 6b)

They are really comical to watch

Thumbnail by lilyfantn
Kingsport, TN(Zone 6b)

They certainly keep their eye on the camera!

Thumbnail by lilyfantn
Kingsport, TN(Zone 6b)

lets check out all the possibilities before making our choice

Thumbnail by lilyfantn
Kingsport, TN(Zone 6b)

and lets make sure we have it adjusted just right before we take off with it

Kingsport, TN(Zone 6b)

oops - clicked the wrong button

Thumbnail by lilyfantn
Kingsport, TN(Zone 6b)

OK, ready for take off

Thumbnail by lilyfantn
Kingsport, TN(Zone 6b)

This guy arrived already loaded up with small peanuts and still managed to add a peanut in its shell without dropping the others

Thumbnail by lilyfantn
Kingsport, TN(Zone 6b)

and last but not least, a chickadee managed to dart in for a quick bite too. I know this picture is blurrry but I just love the landing position!

Thumbnail by lilyfantn
Marlton, NJ

Nice pics Lily!! LOL, do you think you could call it the Buffet table instead of the Changing table; I have this awful mental image of tons of poopie diapers (I know, I'm sick,lol).

Georgetown, SC(Zone 8a)

Lily: Great shot of the chickadee landing! That is so great. Was that at "normal' shutter speed?
Deb(inSC)

Kingsport, TN(Zone 6b)

Ha ha!! I'm not offended at all - buffet table it is!

Hi Deb! I had the camera set on fast action setting which is represented by an athlete icon on my dial. (does that make sense?) When I first saw the chickadee picture as a thumbnail after downloading it to the computer I thought, "Oh rats - another blurry one" and almost deleted it. When I clicked on it to see it full sized I just loved the little feet sticking out and the shrugged shoulders.

This message was edited Feb 9, 2007 5:04 PM

Georgetown, SC(Zone 8a)

Once the ducks left (after turning over the bird bath) a few others showed up.
Little Downy Woodpecker. He was on the other side of the suet for the longest time and eventually hopped briefly onto the tree for me.
Deb

Thumbnail by DebinSC
Marlton, NJ

Nice pic Debin! I love the Downy WP's,their very brave not shy at all.

Georgetown, SC(Zone 8a)

Best shot I could get today. This lil' fella would not sit still unless he was behind a branch or too far away.
He was singing up a storm, though. Seems to like the suet.
(Carolina Wren)

DebinSC
(I soft-focused because all the bright foliage was distracting - couldn't crop any further without losing sharpness.)

Thumbnail by DebinSC
Kingsport, TN(Zone 6b)

Great pictures Deb! Carolina wrens are another one that I have trouble getting a good picture of! Kudos!!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.