New shop need input on ventilation & air filtering!

Frederick, MD(Zone 6b)

Heya! At long last, I'm going to have a place to plug in a couple of my auction finds (table saw and scroll saw, now stored at the back of the garage), get a good workspace set up, and be able to tackle some of the projects that have been piling up in my head!

Some guys are coming next Tuesday to put up walls.... the builder just put insulation up against the concrete of the foundation. I'm not having them finish the walls at all, as I plan to use a combination of paneling, pegboard, and areas of built-in shelving.... but I'm getting ahead of myself here. I'll probably start another thread to get some input on placing equipment, electrical plan, etc. and just to post updates as the project goes along.

It's rectangular space with walls on three sides... 20 feet along the rear foundation wall, 16 feet along the side of the house, and 15 feet along the front foundation wall that's under the rear wall of the garage (not 20 because the water heater and gas line takes up 5 feet). The fourth side of the rectangular space is simply open to the rest of the unfinished basement.

I really need some advice on equipment for ventilation and/or air scrubbing and/or dust collection.... what do you use, and how do you like it, and what do you wish you had?

I have a little window halfway along the wall on the left side of the drawing, near the top of the wall... standard basement window, about 18 x 30 inches.... It is situated under the deck, so blocking the very small amount of light that comes through that window isn't a concern, and I'm wondering if there isn't some sort of unit I could install right in the window?

Although I've looked at the dust collection systems that work like little vaccuums, with tubes going to the business end of each piece of equipment, I'm not sure I'm going to have such a busy woodshop that I'll need something like that.... I'm quite happy with the idea of going around with my shop vac or broom at the end of a project to get up the sawdust. I'm more concerned with the very fine stuff that doesn't just fall to the floor.... I don't really want that drifting around and getting up into the air in the main house.

I'm not planning on doing welding, just wood working, but I would like to have ventilation good enough that I can do finishing work without fumigating myself... If necessary, I can create a smaller work space for this sort of thing by putting up a curtain (think floor to ceiling shower curtain) that I can draw closed so I'm not trying to clear fumes from the entire basement.

I'd really appreciate some help and advice! Thanks!!

This thread has 11 replies. This forum is accessible only to subscribing members of Dave's Garden. There are many free features here, and about half of our forums are completely open to all members. And learn more about Dave's Garden, and explore the benefits of becoming a subscribing member.

Want to join? Register here. Already signed up? Click here to login!