Great Horned Owl in the nest

Blythe, CA(Zone 10b)

The owl has chosen the same tree as always. We weren't sure if she would come back because half of the tree had to be cut down, due to wind damage. Should have babies in a month or so.

Thumbnail by betterbloom
Blythe, CA(Zone 10b)

One more pic.

Thumbnail by betterbloom
Kingsport, TN(Zone 6b)

What a great picture! That is the cutest owl I have ever seen. :-)

Georgetown, SC(Zone 8a)

Wow! She's beautiful. Please post more pics as the babies arrive!
Deb

Anchorage, AK(Zone 4a)

That's wonderful. I, for one will be looking forward too your up dates through the nesting season.

Marlton, NJ

Thats great better!!! Please post as many pics as possible, especially after the babies arrive!

Vancleave, MS(Zone 8b)

Awesome pics BB. Great job!!!!!!

Tiller, OR(Zone 8a)

Ohhhhhh, envy here! I'd love to have owls nesting here! I've only seen a GH once. It was sitting on the woodpile, less than 10 feet from me, as I was coming in from putting the animals away for the night. At first I thought it was a skittery stray cat I'd been feeding, and I told it what a bold kitty it had become. (keep in mind that it was by then quite dark) Then I noticed the size of those eyes. When it flew I was amazed at the wingspan.

Lucky you! Please keep us posted on the little ones when they arrive.

Linthicum Heights, MD(Zone 7a)

Lucky you .... excellent photo. The only Owl that I have ever been able to photograph in the daytime is the Eastern Screech Owl - Red Morph. Looking forward to more photos.

Ridgefield, WA

Oh, betterbloom! What a thrilling image! I find owls of all kinds to be mystical and somehow ethereal. Please do post more photographs as opportunity permits ....

Lick Creek, IL(Zone 6b)

Nice that the Owl blessed you, a gift

North Little Rock, AR(Zone 7b)

What a cute sweet momma. Thanks for sharing the lovely photos.

Kim

The Woodlands, TX(Zone 9a)

Beautiful pictures, beautiful bird.

Blythe, CA(Zone 10b)

Thanks everyone, the tree is only about 200 feet from me so I will be getting lots of pics and will pass them on to you. Today was cloudy out so the pictures didn't turn out as good as I hoped. I will try again tomorrow. Maybe I will catch both the mom & dad together.

Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

Wow....just Wow! How fortunate you are to have a "birds eye view" of the nest!! We look for greater pictures to come.

Gainesville, FL(Zone 9a)

Very exciting. I will be watching as well. I have never been blessed with one in my yard...and SO close. I will need 911 if that bird has babies and you get pictures...;-o

Gladwin, MI(Zone 5a)

Great pictures. I have only seen one before. It flew in a scared the daylights out of me. This is a huge bird. It is like an animal flying. I wish I would have had a camera. To have them nesting by you is great!!!!! Nature channel, right out the window!!!

Maysville, MO(Zone 5a)

Great pictures betterbloom. I hope you can get pics of them hatched and feeding. That will be worth the wait. We have owl boxes up here on the farm, and have a gh in one and a barn own in another. Also have Skreech boxes up and have a couple occupied. We keep them closer to the timberland than the yard because of songbirds and martins. Owls are so interesting to watch.......especially the little Skreech's.....one of them will sit on the front of the box and watch you, even right under the nest as long as you dont make any threatening gestures. I'll try to get a picture of him watching me when it warms up. Jay

Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

Betterbloom, if you had the ability to do a web cam, that would be so awsome!! That way we could look in on the family anytime!

Blythe, CA(Zone 10b)

Sorry Sheila, I have a kodac easy share which is suppose to have video in it, but haven't learned how to use it. I'll have to get the book out and see if I can figure out the instructions. I don't think she has laid the eggs yet, so it will be about a month before the babies hatch. I will get tons of pictures of them, for sure.

Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

I don't have one either, it just sounded like such fun if possible.

Blythe, CA(Zone 10b)

Another pic of mother owl, sitting in her nest.

Thumbnail by betterbloom
Fort Worth, TX(Zone 8a)

That is just so cool to get the pictures so close. Are you in a tall building or second story of a house??? She definately sees you too!

Blythe, CA(Zone 10b)

No, I'm on the ground, she is about 15 feet up in the air. I live in a county park, and this owl has been nesting in this tree for years. She is use to people watching her, as we have people coming and going all the time. I will take a picture of the tree from a distance tomorrow.

Vancleave, MS(Zone 8b)

oh look at that face lol. To cute

St. John's, NL(Zone 5b)

Cool pic! Our Great Horns will start nesting in late March-early April.

Whidbey Island, WA(Zone 7a)

Betterbloom, that owl looks downright cuddly!!! Great photos - can't wait to see more!

Greenville, SC(Zone 7a)

Owls are at the TOP of my favorites list along with Eagles and Hawks! Great photo's!! Thanks for sharing!! Look forward to more pics and pics of the 'little ones' when they arrive! How exciting!

Lutz, FL(Zone 9b)

You are soooo lucky to have the owls right there, so close! I'll certainly watching your thread for updates and more great photos.

Northeast, NE(Zone 5a)

AdI will be closely watching this thread..Amazing Betterbloom!.Can't wait for more photos : )

Cincinnati (Anderson, OH(Zone 6a)

Wonderful pics of your owls!

DFW area, TX(Zone 7b)

Well, I'm hooked. Watching this thread from now on
for sure. Thanks a bunch. Wonderful photos.

Blythe, CA(Zone 10b)

One more pic for today. I took more but keep getting red eye..(.must read instructions on camera!) I haven't seen Dad owl, probably comes around at night, after dark. Does anyone know if anything about the owls ears ? It always looks like it has four ears, or is that the horns ? I'll have to do so research on this when I have time.

Thumbnail by betterbloom
Marlton, NJ

So nice better! Can't wait to see more!

DFW area, TX(Zone 7b)

Love it ! Another beautiful photo. Thanks so much.

Whidbey Island, WA(Zone 7a)

Omigosh - absolutely gorgeous . . . great photography, Better!!

Citra, FL

Beautiful photos, really stunning.

Assonet, MA(Zone 6b)

Thank you so much for sharing..Absolutely spectacular..I have never seen such a content & comfortable owl...can't wait for pics of the family. Just wonderful.

Colts Neck, NJ(Zone 7a)

Betterbloom thanks so much for the pictures, they are fascinating. I am looking forward to all of your future posts and pictures. Hope you will be able to capture some video with the sounds that the babies make. For those who have never heard a baby GH owl begging, this site has a recording. They do this all night long throughout the summer here.

http://www.owling.com/Great_Horned.htm

Louise

Nichols, IA(Zone 5a)

Betterbloom, your pictures are amazing. You are so lucky!

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.