Where to buy Irises

Middleton, TN(Zone 7a)

What is the best and cheapest place possible to buy both named and unnamed cultivars of irises. 2 different places is fine too. I am new to DG and to Irises but I really love them and want some more of them. Thanks, Sharon

Rancho Cucamonga, CA

Try the Garden Watchdog here at Dave's, I'm sure you'll find something you're looking for. Welcome to Dave's and the world of irises, you'll be hooked and then it will be daylilies and on and on. You'll become addicted and need rehab like me!

Marquette, MI(Zone 5a)

This might be helpful:

http://davesgarden.com/gwd/advanced.php?category=15&submit=Go

You might also keep an eye on the Plant trading forum. Often you can find Offers for postage.

If you are thinking about trading iris in the future, keep careful records of your cultivars-label them, perhaps adding from whom they were purchased, date, & other data, etc.

We all have our favorite suppliers, read thru the Iris forum and form your own opinions.

Welcome to Daves Garden, one of the best Universities around !!

Rancho Cucamonga, CA

Great link Granny!

Peachland B.C., BC(Zone 5a)

Check out the American Iris Society list of commercial directory www.irises.org

I have got together with friends and ordered twice from Riverview. Have not found a miss named one yet. The price is right, irises a wee bit small, but clean and healthy. Most won't bloom the first year, but worth the wait.

Lynn

Middleton, TN(Zone 7a)

Wow , Thanks everybody! You have all given me a lot of good leads!

Blythe, CA(Zone 10b)

I ordered mine from Schreiner's last summer. Mind you, they are not cheap, but well worth the money. The r/z were huge! I'm already getting blooms. I don't know if I'm allowed to say this or not, but Weegy may also have some for sale soon, and her prices are very good.

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

How do we fine out when Weegy has iris for sale?

Los Alamos, NM(Zone 5a)

I have had great success buying from Schriner's, Cooley's and Aitkins Salmon Creek. Big rhizomes, no misnaming, great service. I want to try some new ones this year as well, like Mid-America and several others. I have also bought Iris, potted and in bloom from one of the local nurseries. That way you can be sure that you get what thought you were buying. I find buying Iris during the bloom season in one gallon cans is about the same price a good mail order place.
Buying iris in gallon cans at local nurseries when not in bloom hasn't worked at all well for me. Customers have a tendency to mixup the tags and the nursery isn't to blame, but I am very disappointed when I don't get what I want.
And they are right that the next thing you know you want lilies and daylilies, which bloom after iris. I am a true addict and don't plan rehab. Iris addiction is the healthiest disease I have ever had.

St Joseph, IL(Zone 5b)

Mid-America's irises were great last year...large and healty. I placed a few orders with them and they were very nice to deal with.
Laura

Middleton, TN(Zone 7a)

Thanks, I have been looking at Irises all day at the web sites you have told me about.
I am starting to go cross eyed from looking at Irises ;- ) But seriously, I have found some great deals and met and talked to some great people on here in DG and today in d-mails. Bless you all

Blythe, CA(Zone 10b)

here is her website: ....good prices. Hank's iris garden.com

edited because my hyperlink didn't work

This message was edited Feb 7, 2007 8:00 PM

This message was edited Feb 7, 2007 8:00 PM

Blythe, CA(Zone 10b)

I'm going to try this once more:
www.hanksirisgarden.com

Middleton, TN(Zone 7a)

Thanks, BB

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.