amaryllis blooming time again

Powder Springs, GA(Zone 7b)

Here are my first two for 2007 - Grandeur and Scarlet Baby. Quite a difference in stem length.

Thumbnail by hcmcdole
Taft, TX(Zone 9a)

That tall one has the prettiest unusual colors...thanks for the pic!

Close up of Grandeur.

Thumbnail by hcmcdole
Silver Spring, MD

So beautiful. My mom would have an amaryillis every Christmas. I have never tried one. Do they rebloom year to year?

Yes, they rebloom each year if conditions are right. Most of mine bloom but some haven't (bulb not big enough?).

Here is Apple Blossom but this was from last year.

Thumbnail by hcmcdole
Poughkeepsie, NY(Zone 6a)

All of those are awesome! Here 2 of mine taken a few minutes ago:

This one Minerva:

Thumbnail by tommyr2006

This one Red Lion:

Thumbnail by tommyr2006

TommyR,

Now that is RED. Good job.

The only thing I have on this one is Orange (but I don't think that is the name).

Thumbnail by hcmcdole
Minneapolis, MN(Zone 4a)

You might want to consider staking them. I have had the top-heavy stems fall over, and then the flower doesn't live as long.

Susan in Minneapolis

Silver Spring, MD

What do you do to cause them to bloom each year? Are they like tulips?

Minneapolis, MN(Zone 4a)

I am reasonably successful with keeping the amaryllis bulbs growing in their pots in the house after blooming, in the cold weather, and then putting the pots outside in full sun for the warm months. Fertilize heavily until fall (once or twice a week with dilute fertilizer). Don't overwater them. Before freezing temps set in, bring them in the basement to dry out for about 4 months of rest. I then check each bulb for signs of a bud emerging, or if the neck of the bulb is quite thick, I think that it is likely to produce a bud stalk (or 2 or 3 if it is really happy). Bring the bulbs likely to bloom into the warm house, and water thoroughly, but don't keep them damp. It is a good idea to put a stake in the pot at this time, in order to support the flower stalk when it appears. When they start to grow, they need sun from the windowsills or artificial light. Sometimes the bud is the first to come up, other times foliage comes up first, and then a bud. And occasionally I guess wrong, and there is no bud. Also, sometimes I guess that a bulb will not produce a bud, and then put the bulb outside in the warm weather, only to have it bloom outdoors.

The bulbs often make babies, and then that can increase your collection.

Susan in Minneapolis

That sounds about right.

I basically neglect them which seems to suit them just fine. I believe by letting them grow outdoors during summer helps them put enough energy back into the bulb for future blooms. They receive plenty of sun but the hot afternoon sun is usually filtered. What water and fertilizer they get during summer can be erratic. The one thing you don't want to do is keep them constantly wet - that will usually cause rot.

When I move them back indoors I let them dry out completely then water very sparingly (maybe every 2 to 3 weeks and then just a trickle). I also put them on the very top of my shelves so they don't have much light, which may or may not help set up the blooms. Once I see the bloom stalk come on, I move those pots down to get more light and of course resume normal watering. Winter rest is over then. After blooming, I move the pots back to the basement but under lights until warm weather returns at which time they are moved outdoors. I have 22 pots of them now in various sizes and colors but I'm always looking for new exiting colors.

Scott Bar, CA(Zone 6a)

This "red lion" is almost there! I agree with the above advice. Plenty of sun in the summer with regular fertilization (dilute) and a good rest in the winter. This plant is almost 10 years old, has produced at least six offsets and has bloomed every year, many times with two flower stalks. I'll post again when it finishes opening. Bill

Thumbnail by rockminer
lewiston, ID(Zone 6a)

Bill, what an incredible picture....Deb

Scott Bar, CA(Zone 6a)

Thank you Deb. It is getting closer. Here it is this morning :-}

Thumbnail by rockminer

I have a "Pink blossom" at the same stage, any minute now! 2 flower stalks too! Plus a "Pink Floyd" in full bloom!

This has been an amaryllis season for me, 9 plants, blooms all fall & winter so far!

Tom

Scott Bar, CA(Zone 6a)

Amaryllis are such dramatic plants. Wish I had room for dozens, lol! This pick shows what a diference a day makes.

Thumbnail by rockminer
Scott Bar, CA(Zone 6a)

One more day!

Thumbnail by rockminer

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.