Need a Suggestion for a shrub

Tyrone, GA(Zone 7b)

What would be a good small shrub to plant along a split rail fence ( inside the "v" of the fence). Would like an evergreen, deer proof (LOL), for zone 7a. This is a log cabin in Cherry Log, Ga - 4 miles south of Blue Ridge. Need something relatively low maintenance as I will only be there on weekends for the most part.
thanks!

Liz

Thumbnail by gliz
Danielsville, GA(Zone 7b)

mountian laura?

Tyrone, GA(Zone 7b)

Mike, thanks!
I have to check that out. Mountain laurel is quite plentiful in this area but I think it gets quite big.?? There may be a dwarf variety -- will have to research. Plantfiles may provide the answer. I guess I am looking for a type of accent shrub that will not overpower the split rail fence. Maybe I should drive around the mountain and see what other folks have planted. You know what they say...imitation is the sincerest form of flattery!

Liz

Peachtree City, GA(Zone 7b)

Maybe Acuba? Maybe Nandina, the tall one with lots of red berries for the birds. I have some you can have if you want. :)
It seeds pretty easy.
chris

Deep East Texas, TX(Zone 8a)

That is a cool fence! I hope you don't mind my meddling. Maybe this plant wouldn't grow in your zone but there is a split rail fence here that has forsythia planted along it. The forsythia is light and airly so it doesn't detract from the beauty of the fence. It has lovely floating yellow blooms in early spring. Might be worth checking out... pod

Tyrone, GA(Zone 7b)

Chris, Nandina is a thought, very pretty in the winter months. Are you overrun with them ?- LOL Pod, I not sure if forsythia will do ok in zone 7a - I planted a few last fall in my yard here in Tyrone but they don't look too healthy after the very cold weather we have had. Will see if they revive in the spring...They do have a very graceful form and would look pretty next to the split rail fence.
Another thought occurred to me during my research. A dwarf holly. Doesn't need pruning, is evergreen, deer proof. I like all the suggestions so far and will let you know (hopefully with an "after" photo).

Liz

Deep East Texas, TX(Zone 8a)

Oops ~ not sure if Forsythia is deer proof either. Haven't tested is for that, sorry. Whatever you choose, you will have to post an after photo too. Love that fence!

Liz, I wouldnt call it overrun but seedlings grow every year and I yank them in spring. some of them make it a second year before I pull them. Neighbors have about all they want. You are welcome to come get some. I keep the tall one ( its about 6' ) trimmed to about 3 stems, by cutting the new stems that come up in spring, but it will get wider if you let it. In the picture you can see the 1 or 2 year seedling..they range from about 6"-2' these are what I pull out.
Let me know if you want some, I will bring the rest to the round-up this year instead of throwing out.
Chris

Thumbnail by chris_lcf530

here are the little ones.

Liz, These pics were taken today, so that is what they will look like in winter.

Tyrone, GA(Zone 7b)

Thanks Chris. Your nandina's are beautiful I may take you up on your offer. DH and I are going to the cabin this weekend and I will check out the area again to see what's what. : )
Liz

Kennesaw, GA

How about a dwarf mahonia? Then you get year-round interest...

John

Tyrone, GA(Zone 7b)

Oh, thanks john. I just looked this up - very pretty and the area is pretty shady so this will work well.

Liz

Post a Reply to this Thread

Please or sign up to post.